Hi, I Need Two Quick Qusetions Ansewered! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

SUPERBAD is an unknown
Hi, I Need Two Quick Qusetions Ansewered!

My Bud Is Going To Install A Greddy Boost Controller To My Car. He Did His Talon A Few Years Ago And Asked Me To Ask 2 Questions.
1) What Is The Max Boost My 2006 Wrx Limited (not Sti) Can Go To With A Stock Fuel Pump?
2) Can You Lead Me In The Right Direction To Which Vacumn Line You Access On The Throttle Body When Tapping Into When Installing A Boost Controller ( Manuel, Not Electronic)

Hey Thank You Guys So Very Much, I Hope To Get Some Great Answers Soon!!

Christopher , Newbie and I Want To Learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the max boost is the stock boost. You don't want to put that on your car. Even setting it to stock boost will change the boost the ECU is tuned for in many driving conditions. Manual Boost Controllers are a bad idea on the WRX. On a WRX, you want to adjust the ECU ANY time you do substantial modifications like altering the boost. His talon didn't have an ECU like the one in your WRX.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
Agreed you do not want to install any boost controller to change your boost without tuning. I have a 06 wrx and from experience i can tell you the stock turbo can only hit 16 psi in short burst and is only stable at about 12-13 psi anyways. Save your money and install safer and more effective mods.
#4 Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
for short bursts? are you talking about? It maintains 16PSI just fine if properly tuned but only for a given RPM range (smaller on the 2.5L than the 2.0L WRX's). It has a maximum airflow (CFM) at that boost however and as you ask for more air, the boost starts to drop narturally. All turbos taper off if you exceed their maximum boost point's flowrate which is going to happen on any small sized turbo like the stock TD04...

It has nothing do with the length of time (short bursts!?) and everything to do with the airflow. When the boost is tapering off, it's because your engine is pulling in more air than the turbo can spin up to full boost. It's a curve on any turbo: pressure and airflow. REMEMBER! Boost doesn't make power. AIRFLOW makes power (more specifically the combustion from it). Pressure is created because the turbo is trying to PUSH air in. A big turbo pushes more air at less boost than a small turbo. Boost itself does not tell you squat about the car and it's not "a bad thing" that boost tapers. People obsess about boost like it measures horsepower and that's pretty far from a direct relationship.

That's fairly off topic though. The issue here is how to effectively control boost which on older cars with less sophisticated ECU's, it can be done manually. On a WRX, the stock control is done exclusively through the ECU and is tied in with a variety of adjustments and is not so easily overridden. Rather than using a manual controller, the best way is to re-tune the ECU. The WRX's ECU is very programmable if you have the right equipment and can be set up for increase boost very easily (and adjusted for fuel as well) without butchering it's control over everything else engine related like a boost controller would do.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 03-27-2008, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Haha, I have a friend with the stocker on his car that's protuned to 18 psi, tapering down to 15 spi at redline. It's been that way since he got it...lol.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#6 Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
The WRX ECU is quite finicky. It does not like to have things changed on it without a tune. Mods as simple as an intake should really be tuned for on these cars. They dont like change. You should save your money and effort and go for engine management before you slap on a boost controller. It is often a misconception that you can get "Cheap and easy" power out of these cars. This is not the case. You can get it, but not for very long. I read on a very reputable tuner's site that they told persons seeking the install of a boost controller without any supporting mods that they would need to go ahead and schedule their engine rebuild at the same time.

We are not trying to harsh on your idea, I just want to see power be built correctly and in a safe manner.
#7 Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
Sorry poor use of terminology. By short burst I really meant about 1200 RPM over the range specifically between 2800-4000 though it usually drops off much sooner. The only real point I was trying to make is that it was an unsafe mod without proper tuning and with little gain considering the risks. Sort of irrelevant I was just surprised how small the factory turbo was for the 2.5 liter and how quickly it did taper off.