help me! turbo decision! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxcop is an unknown
help me! turbo decision!

I'm the current owner of a 2006 TR. Cobb stage 2 with an invidia catless DP and erz turbo back. My power addiction has set in like crack and my wallet is now filled with enough green to cure my craving. This is simple enough I'm looking at an deadbolt 18g ported and polished with an sti top mount and injector work for around $2600. On the other hand I can go with a vf34 sti tmic and have this installed and ready to go for a $1000 less. My car is an every other day driver car, but I do enjoy taking it on trips, as well as to the drag strip, and i also need it to get me to the grocery store reliably. This car will be a (ahh don't hate me for saying this) 1/4 mile car and isn't going to see an autox race ( at least I'm saying that now). I understand the VF34 is going to spool up quicker but the 18g spools up at 3000-3200 rpms which I'm OK with. I definitely want to be in the mid to low 12's 1/4 mile range and from what I've researched I can do this with both turbo's. I like the kick in the pants I get from the td04 but after 60mph I feel it goes flat out dead. From you guys with more experience am I going to get my evo and those new gt stang killer out of the VF34, or will I find the 18g ripping apart those unsuspecting vette's?
Thanks for any input or ideas that you guys can give me on my dilemma.I'm asking you guys and gals which turbo i should get because I can't make up my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2006, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
IMO, I'd go with the 18g, or even the Evo 3 16g, it only flows a hair less cfm's and it's a monster. The vf34 is too similar to the stock WRX turbo especially if your trying to make this into a track car and not autocross, if your autocrossing you want fast spool up, the 18g will give you better top end, Ditch the STi top mount and get a FMIC, fuel pump and injectors and your good, all day. Don't forget to tune the car brother, something like UTEC, StreetTUNER, some wicked sh*t like Hydra, Link ECU, or a Protune.
#3 Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
Man with your 06 what kind of numbers are you putting down?
Manicswrx is putting 242 awhp and 318 torque with cobb stage 2 and a protune.
Since you have the 2.5L block you can spool a bigger turbo than the 18g. For you the 20g might be a better turbo. Or if you want to go balls out run the Garrett GT35R. Al this with supporting mods of course.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#4 Old 08-08-2006, 04:03 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I would suggest a GT30R as there is a supplier that offers a "direct bolt" version.. The GT35R requires a rotated mount which opens a entire can of crap...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#5 Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
Man with your 06 what kind of numbers are you putting down?
Manicswrx is putting 242 awhp and 318 torque with cobb stage 2 and a protune.
Since you have the 2.5L block you can spool a bigger turbo than the 18g. For you the 20g might be a better turbo. Or if you want to go balls out run the Garrett GT35R. Al this with supporting mods of course.
+1 and definalty don't use the Sti TMIC.Get something in a bar & plate core.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#6 Old 08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1313 is an unknown
they make bar and plate TMIC don't they.

Mmmmm Rice & V8. part of a healthy WRX diet..lol
#7 Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxcop is an unknown
I think I have settled with the 18g eww I can't wait. Either way i have the install and tune ready for september. I'm going to get some video and pics up when the project is completed on september 14th!!!!! My wrx is definately going to be a sleeper..the only noticable mods are the DP and turbo back. I will still have the stock springs and wheels until I save up for some coil overs since thas pretty much the going trend.
#8 Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1313
they make bar and plate TMIC don't they.
Its tube & fin just like the wrx one.In fact i don't think i have ever seen a bar & plate factory intercooler except on exotics.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#9 Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1313 is an unknown
so what tmic would you suggest for a 20g turbo.

Mmmmm Rice & V8. part of a healthy WRX diet..lol
#10 Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
I can't actually recommend it yet, but I'm getting ready to go from a VF39 to a TD06H-20G Deadbolt turbo on my 06 STi. After extensive research by me, I found this turbo to be the best match for what I want to achieve, which is around 350hp to the ground.

Good Luck to you. Okey

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#11 Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
The ebay intercoolers are the best TMIC bang for the buck. Same with their FMIC as well I guess. It would work with a 20G I believe, I don't know if the 06 has different fitment issues than the 02-05, may want to ask around.
#12 Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1313
so what tmic would you suggest for a 20g turbo.
I wouldn't do one with that big of turbo, but if you insist on one. Perrin, Helix, and TXS make big tmic's.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#13 Old 08-10-2006, 07:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxcop is an unknown
From my tuners mouth the front mount is an overkill on this turbo. They have 2 locals both with 18g's on 06 tr's and better hp and response were seen out of the sti top mount (although the guy eventually went to the perrin top mount because he said he wantd a new toy), than they saw out of the other 1200 dollar perrin front mount which significantly increased lag. I do understand that the need with a 20g but I'm trying to stick with a tried and true set up that my tuner knows how to make work the best.
#14 Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxcop
From my tuners mouth the front mount is an overkill on this turbo. They have 2 locals both with 18g's on 06 tr's and better hp and response were seen out of the sti top mount (although the guy eventually went to the perrin top mount because he said he wantd a new toy), than they saw out of the other 1200 dollar perrin front mount which significantly increased lag. I do understand that the need with a 20g but I'm trying to stick with a tried and true set up that my tuner knows how to make work the best.
I agree. I didn't say that he needed a fmic. I'm sticking with my stock tmic for my 20G.
My tuner didn't even mention anything about a larger ic.

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#15 Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy15u
The ebay intercoolers are the best TMIC bang for the buck. Same with their FMIC as well I guess. It would work with a 20G I believe, I don't know if the 06 has different fitment issues than the 02-05, may want to ask around.

those ebay tmic are really decent? they look awesome, but the price is so cheap, i thought for sure there would be fitment issues, or some kind of problem , so i stay away from it