Subaru WRX Forum banner

help with dp install

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Z/WRX 
#1 ·
Well I've been considering going stage 2 since basically the same day I flashed to stage 1; power is addicting. The thing is I don't want to pay for install and looking at it the install doesn't look too hard. I've read the walk throughs that I've found using the search but the ones I've read are both up-pipe and down pipe installs which states to remove the intercooler. Being that I have an 06 the stock up-pipe will stay. They also state that removing the intercooler allows for easier access of the bolts. Well today I decided to check it out and to me the bolts looked pretty easy to get to. So I decided to try and remove the heat shield to see how hard the bolts were connecting the dp. Well getting all the bolts off the heat shield was quick and easy, however I could not get the heat shield off. There didn't seem to be enough clearance for me to pull it out. Now mind you I didn't try all that hard, just spent a few min. trying this out to see if it was something I could do myself. So my question is can this install be done without removing the intercooler and if so what tips can you give me to remove that heat shield with the intercooler in place. I'd really at all costs not like to have to remove the intercooler as it looks a little intimidating to do and I don't want to screw anything up. I mean I can move the heat shield out of the way enough to get to the top two bolts holding on the DP and I'm pretty sure I can get to the other 3 from the bottom. Just want some feed back from people who have done the install. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Lets see.... I remember my heatshield coming off pretty east after I got all of the bolts off. Maybe you missed the bottoms ones. You do not need to remove the TMIC to do the downpipe. You do need to remove it for an uppipe though. Taking off the heatshield is half the battle of installing a TBE. Get some PB Blaster, soak those nuts, and start removing bolts.

#5 ·
I believe I got all the bolts (7 right?). It moved around a good bit and I checked to make sure nothing was connected. What seemed to be the issue is on the underside of the heat shield there is a framing structure which is what the heat shield sits on and bolts too. This seemed to be what the heat sheild was caught on. LIke I said, I didn't try all that long but it didn't seem like it would come free as it was kind of trapped between the turbo and the intercooler. I guess I'll just order the dp and when it gets here tackle the project again.

PS. those bolts were super easy to get out, no soaking needed. Maybe it's cause I only have 11k miles but it was rather easy. I'm hoping the dp bolts will be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.