Help deciding which route to go - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Help deciding which route to go

I will be showing the wrx some love pretty soon and am on a $700-$800 budget. I want to keep my mods to the engine for now. My current mods are cobb ap with pdx e-tune, 3 inch catless tbe, k&n panel filter, walbro 255, and grimmspeed lightened crank pulley. I am trying to decide between either a grimmspeed ewg uppipe with tial 38mm wastegate and a 3 port ebcs or used vf43 turbo and sti intercooler. If I go the turbo route I will be porting the turbo and wastegate and possibly rebuilding it. A tune will be added to either of these routes. Which one do you guys think would be best? What if any are the hidden cost I may be overlooking on either? My car has a tendancy to boost spike being catless. Thats why I'm considering the ewg setup. No matter what I decide a ported and polished sti intake manifold and set of tgv deletes will be going on along with it since I have them just collecting dust. I'm also open to opinions on other routes I could go in that price range. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by boo-key bear; 02-20-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Adampawlowich is an unknown
Help deciding which route to go

I know that lots of guys don't think the gains are worth the cost when pnp ing intake manifolds. Better to do it to your headers instead

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Already have an extra pnp'd intake manifold and tgv deletes. Might as well throw them on since Im going to have to be retuned anyway.
#4 Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The stuff you're talking about getting leaves no budget for retuning. Keep that in mind.
#5 Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Already got $ for a tune put back separate.
#6 Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I'd probably do the VF then, assuming you've upgraded your brakes and suspension.
#7 Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ I knew that was coming

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
#9 Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Garage
^ I kinda did too. I do have upgraded pads/lines/fluid and will do rotors as well whenever my next brake job is due but no suspension mods yet except for rear subframe lockdown bolts. I know some people may not agree but I would like a little more power before I start on suspension. I do understand it is needed though when power levels are increased.
#10 Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Justin, the response on the suspension.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Justin, the response on the suspension.
It's on the account of 2 things:
- The stock WRX suspension blows. Inexpensive suspension components are bigger bang for the buck than most power mods.
- No point in increasing how fast you can go if you can't stop or turn, and the later 2 are more important.
#12 Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

I agree fully

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Went with a grimmspeed thermal coated v-band ewg uppipe and tial 38mm wastegate. Should be here next week.
#14 Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good call. Were you planning to route the dump tube back into your exhaust?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#15 Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Garage
no, I'm just gonna vent to atmosphere. I donth think the extra noise will bother me. Heck, its probably going to put a big smile on my face everytime I hear it. It should be here wednesday. May be a few weeks before I can have time to install and tune it though. Dont you have the same ewg John? How do you like it if so? Is fitment really tight? I dont want it getting hot and damaging anything like a axle booot. Ive heard of some melting them but, havent heard anything bad about the grimmspeed yet.