Subaru WRX Forum banner

Helix downpipe?

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
I have the chance to buy a helix catless downpipe and an hks hi power exhaust for $350.... I had a couple of questions that I was hoping somebody could help me with. First of all wondering if these two are compatible? And also wondering about the quality of the helix down pipe and how it compares to the invidia. I heard that it being catless will cause me to have my check engine light on... Not sure of that's true. If so what could I do to fix this. Just hoping for some general knoledge of the two. If anyone could tell me what they think About this choice for my 06 wrx I would appreciate it. Thank you.

#2 ·
Well the HKS exhaust is a full/true 3 inch exhaust the and the Helix DP is 3 inches so....yes it will fit. The only thing I would recommend is some stronger/firmer exhaust hangers (i.e. Kartboy) so your big fartcan exhaust won't rattle around. Also, FYI that HKS exhaust is LOUD.

As for the quality of the Helix being as good as Invidia, probably not as Invidia is one of the best. But, it is a DP and it should be fine (plus it is a great deal at $350). I would just give the items a good look over and make sure there are no dents, rust, or damaged/weakend areas. Also, make sure to get NEW gaskets.

Gaskets: Subaru WRX & STi Uppipe, Downpipe, & Exhaust Manifold Gaskets, WRX & STi Exhaust Components JSC Speed or GrimmSpeed

You will need: 3 Inch Exhaust Gasket, Subaru Turbo to Downpipe Gasket

Kartboy Exhaust Hangers (you will need 4): Kartboy dot com :: Subaru Forester :: 2000-2005 Forester :: Kartboy Exhaust Hanger 12mm Single (BLACK) (it says it is for a Forester, but it is the same 12mm hanger for the WRX).

#3 · (Edited)
Should be fine....misread something. I'd get a tune to deal with the CEL though. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have EM in mind before installing it.

Edit: Mwahahaha. (That was for you Josh ;) ) But seriously. Consider a Cobb AP for a stage 2 tune or go the opensource route. Which ever one suits you better. If you need to know more. Consider reading this. Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

#4 ·
You also NEED some type of tune or engine management especially going catless. You will have boost issues with that setup on your car.

**Damn Kirt you beat me to it by apparently a milisecond**

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.