Subaru WRX Forum banner

Grimmspeed AOS

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
Ok, I know how great Grimmspeed is and how great their products are. But I had a break from work yesterday and started researching Air/Oil seperator. I read everywhere I could. It seems that I have probably needed one for some time now. Alot of subies are running the Ixiz unit. Seems pretty nice, but odd to mount and what not. So I emailed my tuner, old shop, and my new shop Im dealing with. All 3 said Grimmspeed. Im cool with that. Especially since my new builder helped them design the part. My real question is has anyone used it or know someone that has used it? Not saying I dont trust the product or the other people, they have yet do steer me wrong, just looking for some other opinions I suppose. Thanks.

**BTW just ordered and had it shipped to my builder, but opinions are still welcomed.

Joshua

#3 ·
ive seen lots of use so far. i started a review thread on Nasioc that has tons and tons of feed back. almost everyone loves it! a lot of people used clear hoses so they can see the oil if it got back to the return line. im pretty sure and its safe to say 100% of the people using it for street and drag use are 100% happy with the product. however, 2 people so far had to go another route. it seems track use like VIR with the high speed turns is still to much to over come the oil coming out of the heads. oil was getting out of the AOS and back into the intake. the solution the one guy ended up doing was the new crawford with the heating element.

so if your not going 100mph turns at high positive lateral Gforce, you'll be fine with it.

#4 ·
Synolimit, thanks for that. I dont plan on doing much racing at first. Just more for piece of mind for now. Later down the road if this car does fulfill my frams I might look into a more elaborate setup. And I will be sure to post up my thoughts once I get my car back.

#5 ·
anytime. others have been ok for some reason. they dont drive as fast or turn as hard, who knows. to me it seems almost impossible to stop with a motor build like this, specially turning right. just seems all the oil would want to come out of the left head and oil fill where the AOS is located. to me the only way to stop it is two items. either its 2 catch cans or the AOS with the return line goes to a catch can then back to the inlet. like i may do this just cause. i have a catch can a friend gave me that was just the crank vent. then i did the valves covers too and made another hole for the return back to the inlet. the can just seems to small now. you get lots of water in them from condensation and a little oil but it just may fill up faster now.

#6 ·
I don't know, I love GS stuff and I have more of their parts than most people do on their car...

The AOS scares me though, that it puts everything right back into the oil... It may be just fine, but when you open up a catch can it's not just oil in there, there's some water condensation. So if the AOS is basically a can less catch can system, then aren't you putting that water back into your oil? That's my only concern about it. I'll wait for long term use before I pick one up.

Also, not trying to spread any rumors those are just my legitimate concerns regarding the system.

#9 ·
your not thinking about what a catch can is though. its a large metal cylinder exposed to engine heat and when its cold it gets condensation from the motor warming up. all that surface area is whats causing the water on the inside. the GS AOS is 10 times smaller then a small catch can. the AOS even uses plastic nipples were the hoses attach. getting rid of as much metal as possible wont make the AOS sweat. im sure there is almost no water, im 99.99% sure. not anymore than what would get into the motor as the inside of all the metal parts start to heat up.

#7 ·
I honestly think the GS AOS is a pile.... There isn't enough vacuum in the system to NOT have a "pump".... IXIZ ftw.....

Racer.... from what I have seen, ALOT of the condensation in OCC is from the oil itself... heating and cooling.....

And I agree.... GS has awesome stuff....to spend 300.00 on the GS piece is a bit steep..... I can see paying 150.00, no more.

#10 ·
I appreciate all the discussion and different views on this. Im trying to get my builder to install it with clear hose so that I can see/watch/monitor the AOS to see how it works. I have still been doing my reading and talking with other users of this. Most agree that the Ixiz is alrite, but it too has its flaws. Im not here to bash either product just get views and opinions of it. I appreciate everyones participation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.