Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   good exhaust (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/good-exhaust-21162/)

dre44rocks 11-19-2007 04:54 PM

good exhaust

i got a 06 wrx tr and i have been searching for a good exhaust for it i am looking for one that brings out that boxer engine and i also dont want one while i am in the car and the car is rattling and cant hear my self talk
i am looking for one that is 800$ or less
any suggestions please help me out
also i looking for one that will acutally pass emissions

Boostbuddy 11-19-2007 05:10 PM

We have several that will put a smile on your face...we are selling our BPM GT for $760 until the end of the month...very nice system we run it on all of our Subby's

As far as passing emissions...if you don't have to pass a visual you will need something with a Cat.

awd4life 11-19-2007 06:50 PM

After you check out Boostbuddy.com, you can also check out some of the local shops you have there in AZ. Dynocomp is there in Scottsdale. Then there is IA Performance in Tuscon. These are both good shops and they might even be able to show you cars that have the different exhausts in person, just so you can get an idea of the exhaust note you will get. You can also check out youtube to see if they have any clips of the different exhausts.

Boostbuddy has a lot of the stuff you will need to get going! I would suggest the Cobb stuff. According to some folks I have been talking to at IA, they say that it flows better than the other systems that they have tested. It is a bit pricey, but imo worth it.

Wilks132 11-19-2007 11:35 PM

from first hand experience, get the cobb. I have the cobb TBE and LOVE IT!!. The quality is top notch and the sound is great. its not to loud at all when idling or regular driving. but you get on it and you know you have a beast. Its pricey, but you get what yoou pay for. I got mine through XRT who is a vendor here. email him and he might be able to hook you up.

Wilks132 11-19-2007 11:38 PM

oh and if you get a TBE make sure you have EM first and get a catted DP. Alot of people who have 06-07's experience boost creep with a catless exhaust. Cobb actually has a service bulletin on their site

awd4life 11-19-2007 11:51 PM

+1 to that. They say the 06-07 has problems with boost spiking without the cat.

How is the difference with the Stg 2 from Cobb? A new machine?

Wilks132 11-20-2007 12:07 AM

its night and day. I actually went at stage 1 with the Cobb CBE for now. I have the brand new catted Cobb DP in the garage just itching to be put on. But its going to the dealer for an oil change and minor repairs so when its done ill put the dp on. Its driving nuts just looking at it. But, stage 1 in itself is awseome. Im hitting 14psi all day nice and smooth. Plus once i put the dp on the exhaust will sound much better.

awd4life 11-20-2007 12:24 AM

Im pretty sure I am going to be getting the Cobb stg 2 pretty soon, I am stoked!

helomechwrx 11-20-2007 12:35 AM

This is probly a really dumb question what the difference between stg1 and 2?

awd4life 11-20-2007 12:41 AM

Stage 1 from Cobb is the Accessport ECU reflash.

Stage 2 is the AP reflash plus a TBE.

Wilks132 11-20-2007 12:45 AM

basically....stage 1 is mild engine management ie. cobb accessport stage 1. increases boost, smooths out the power band gives the vehicle more torque by adjusting the parameters on the factory ECU. Stage 1 is a car that is basically stock with possible minor mods such as a CBE or panel filter. Stage 2 is the same as stage 1 but requires a downpipe which really unleashes your vehicle power. Stage 2 increase boost even more, gives it more HP, torque, throtle response, WG duties and all other things involed with tuning a vehicle. The Cobb Stage 2 package (which is what i have) runs from about $1700-$1900 depending on where you get it from. But that includes the AP, and turbo back exhaust. and the AP does much more than just "re-tune" the ECU. The total package raises the boost to about 15psi with and an 07 will have about 225 wheel horse power. there are other engine management programs on the market which are cheaper. but i feel the the ap is the easiest due to the OTS (off the shelf) maps. And is usually the preferred for WRX's

helomechwrx 11-20-2007 12:45 AM

Thanx for the info

dre44rocks 11-20-2007 03:13 PM

i was looking at the HKS Cat-Back Carbon/Ti but everywhere i look it says its for car models up to only 2004... anyone know if you could use that exhaust on the 06 year?

dre44rocks 11-20-2007 03:17 PM

also can anyone please explain the difference between a Catback and a Turboback i dont really understand like why use one or the other. what is better with the 06 wrx?

helomechwrx 11-20-2007 03:22 PM

I got the HKS hi-power CBE on mine and it sounds good. The difference between CBE and TBE is the DP.