Subaru WRX Forum banner

Good daily driver turbo upgrade

14K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  9d2TSi 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I've made a thread about this topic already, but I've narrowed down my choices for turbos. Here's a list of what I have done so far:
-Injen Cold Air intake
-HKS Downpipe
-HKS Carbon Ti Exhaust
-HKS SSQ Blowoff Valve
-Ecutek ECU flash w/protune
-Ecutek Data Monitor
(The car ran 247 whp on the dyno after all these mods)

So my question is, which turbo upgrade would be good for a daily driver but also have a good amount of power (about 300-320 whp). I was looking at the APS SR55, since it seems to be a high quality turbo with much power potential. Any personal experiences with this turbo?

I've been asking around already and I have been told to go with a VF22 or VF34, but everyone seemed to have good experiences with those turbos on a 2.0L.... But my engine is a 2.5L, which I have been told that those turbos (VF22 and VF34) are a small turbo for the 2.5L. I was originally suggested to go with a stock Sti Turbo(VF39) but I wanted more power than what that could offer. If I'm going to be spending a nice chunk of change just to get it installed and tuned, I might as well do it right... I've been tossed around all over the place and I feel like just saying "screw it" and go all out and just buy something that I KNOW will work and make some power. So what do you guys think? Should I rack up the credit card and buy the SR55 with the big APS FMIC, big injectors and walbro fuel pump?

See less See more
#3 ·
bigbadbuddha said:
You can't go wrong with APS. Those aussies sure know how to make a good product... A little pricey though.
With your 2.5 block you could try an 18G, or even a GT35R for the super smile factor.
What torque numbers did you get.
I'm pretty sure it had about 256lb of torque. I've heard heard APS is good, but pricey. But I guess you'll have the security of getting something really nice. What's an 18G or GT35R? I didn't wanna go with anything TOO big, cause then it'll take away from the "everyday driver" ability and plus I'll have to upgrade other things like my clutch and tranny... which is getting even more expensive.

#4 ·
Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

The best turbo for a daily driver is an EvoIII big 16g, hands down. Especially with a 2.5L to spool it. Quick spool, nice punch, and good power levels can be had for not alot of cash. Not only that, but your fuel system will be enough for a good tune and all you might have to upgrade would be an IC.

#6 ·
You're right Jae, you could go 18g and still be very streetable. But, with the added displacement of the 2.5L, that 16g will spool up alot quicker. That would just make it an even easier choice for me. :D

#7 ·
9d2TSi said:
Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

The best turbo for a daily driver is an EvoIII big 16g, hands down. Especially with a 2.5L to spool it. Quick spool, nice punch, and good power levels can be had for not alot of cash. Not only that, but your fuel system will be enough for a good tune and all you might have to upgrade would be an IC.

SO if you were to do the EvoIII big 16g on my 06 wrx. I would only have to get the turbo, and a bigger TMIC. I wouldn't have to get injectors, fuel pump...ect..?
and how much would one cost?

#8 ·
#12 ·
I'd go TD05-18G with the 2.5L

It's really not that much bigger than the EVO-III anyway and it tends to actually be a few bucks cheaper. The EVOIII tends to get a little bit of a markup over your average smaller sized 16G

#13 ·
Yeah, sounds like the 18G is a nice gain. And from the prices I've been seein the 18G costs the same as a big 16G. So why not get something bigger for the same price? But another concern that I have is if my stock tranny and clutch will be ok if I put on the 18G.... I've heard that the 18G has given people some problems with their stock stuff...

#16 ·
even a 16G is probably going to be more power than your Stock tranny can handle long term. Plenty of ppl break those at stock power levels let alone with an upgraded turbo. Still, that shouldn't phase you much. The engine internals will be fine with any of the turbos listed.

note a "big 16G" is not the same as an "evoIII 16G". Let me give you an example:

These are from FP (forced performance)
16G = 510 CFM
"Big 16G" = 550 CFM
EVOIII 16G = 575 CFM
18G = 605 CFM

Their 18G actually costs the same as their EVO-III! on the same TD05 housing for all these turbos.\

*EDIT* oh, and the 20G usually uses the larger TD06 housing which will make it spool a little slower. If your main concern is lag, you should stick with TD05 based turbos like the 16G and 18G

#18 ·
Too bad we can't get a "sleeper 16g" for our cars, that would be killer. Not to say that we can't, but I haven't seen one yet. :(

Just for those of you that don't know what one is, it's a 16g with a 20g wheel in it. :sneaky:

#20 ·
Hey guys,
I too am interested in getting a bigger turbo to where I only need a fuel pump and a bigger TMIC. I was looking at FP and was wondering if someone could explain to me the WRX 18T Upgrade. I read it as you send them your stock turbo and the basically send you the same turbo that is clipped and ported? Did I read that right? And if so, what kind of gains would I see from this versus getting an 18G? Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.