Subaru WRX Forum banner

Get a STi to 350-400 WHP

47K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  slipknot9mt 
#1 ·
What would need to be done to get an STi to these levels? The car hasn't been bought yet just planning ahead. more than likely gonna go with 04 or 05. IDK if more or less would be needed to get different years to the same levels. also i would like to do it with pump gas (93 octane is available where i live, and i think one station even carries 94). It would mostly be for driving on the street, and playing around. occasionally seeing a run at the local 1/4 mile. no moto cross races though.

#5 ·
how does that much WHP affect the longevity of the car? i would run it at the track occasionally but i wouldn't be doing clutch dumps contantly.

i like the Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust, would that be a good one to go with for that power or would you suggest a different one?

Which turbo, EM, fuel system, and intercooler would you suggest?

#7 ·
For the turbo I would go with a Dominator 3 or ATP 30r 0r 35r.

I would go with TurboXS turboback exhaust, Deatschwerks 850cc injectors(or bigger if you wanna run E85), TGV deletes, APS Turbo Inlet, APS fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, CSS FMIC, and a big MAF intake that would work with the FMIC.

For EM I would use a Hydra or AEM standalone ECU. You can get away with an AccessPORT or OS tune though. You will also want an upgraded boost controller like the AVC-R, Eboost2, DTEC, or Profec SpecB.

At 400WHP with lots of hard use expect the motor to last about a year or so.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Or better yet, some cheap American V8. Why are so many people obsessed with dragging an AWD vehicle? I know it grabs better, put it where it belongs, on a track, more than just a straight, STUPID line. Just my 2 cents though. Just search around, there are many people running that "number" for HP and have a parts list for it. I would recommend AGAINST the CSS TMIC though. There are much better quality for the price.

#12 ·
Sorry about that. I just get tired of my few friends who always want me to drag with them, who all own cobras and camaro SS. I understand where you are coming from. Sorry to sound like a d!ck. Some people are very happy with just stage 2, some always are looking for more. Its nice that you can go in stages to see what you want/like. Best of luck with it.

#22 ·
Well said

Finally someone who realizes that you don't have to rip your engine apart to make 350whp. I just picked up an 05 sti with a handful of mods and ran it by my tuning shop. I was told that mid-300s would be a safe tune with my upgrades and that's on a stock turbo with no meth. Granted, I do have catless tbe, a quite large aps front mount, cai, headers, injectors, fuel pump, etc. You get the right modifications and find someone that knows how to do a great tuning job and you can see mid 300s without dropping 3k into your car.

This is my second modified subaru so it's nothing new to me. Half the battle is finding a goal and sticking to it. There are a million options so just pick what's right for you. I'm going meth in a few weeks, but i want that extra kick. But I also don't destroy my engine when I drive it either.

Mid-300s is doable without spending 2 grand.

#16 ·
to answer one of your original questions the blitz nur spec is a good exhaust. im pretty sure it has a taper from 3" to 2.5" to mate up with the stock exhaust but im not positive.
i have a friend who runs it with a catless dp and it sounds absolutely amazing. pretty loud though if thats what your looking for.

#17 ·
Yea i used to have a blitz nur spec r, and it was so loud, people kept complaning, now i got a turbo xs tbe catless rfl ti, and its still loud just not as loud as a blitz, most people go with invidia now ### its cheaper priced and yet good power, or as they said aps, go more for the stock end look, ### ive gotten pulled over so much for having that massive cannon of exhaust lol, but im also looking to make between 350-400whp, im going with the fp green hta, meth, tgv deletes,external wastegate, tune, injectors, etc, but with a 20g and meth for sure youll tap that 400whp , plus i like the quick spool.my buddy got a 20g modded and raced my other buddy that has a rotated 30 and the 20g won , untill end then 30r won lol

#19 ·
Ok, I quickly read through the thread (so I may have missed it), but I see some KEY things/suggestions missing...so let me be the voice of reason.

350-400whp is your goal and this is going to be a Daily Driver correct?

If so then you must consider reliability. Yes, the stock block can handle 400whp, but for how long and for how much daily abuse. IMHO, you should start be upgrading the block with some forged pistions (i.e. CP Pistons). Reason being is the weak link on the STi block (EJ257) is the stock pistons, and if you want it to be a DD and reliable that is where I would start.

As far as turbo choice, intercooler, etc. I will leave that for you all to discuss (but really is something you should discuss with a reputable/experienced tuner).

Lastly, go for the '05+ STi. '04 is ok but the 5 x 100 hubs are a weak point, as the '05+ has the stronger hubs (less prone to bearing failure) and different/stronger knuckle design.

#20 ·
If your ripping the block apart for CP pistons....might as well try to find strengthed rods and replace those too. Then you should be able to float a 350-400 whp DD without any problems.

#21 ·
There's nothing wrong with 5x100 hubs. Maybe your rotors are more expensive and you have SLIGHTLY fewer wheel choices but really, there are lots of 5x100 cars out there and lots of good tire choices. Besides, you then get parts all the WRX guys drool over.

The 05 doesn't have the aluminum control arms I don't think. The hubs are different yes but it gets a more durable shock layout too (rear).

There's pro's and cons to all year STi's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.