Subaru WRX Forum banner

Full Race: Borg Warner EFR Stock Location Turbo!

48K views 42 replies 6 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I have been following this thread pretty closely: Next Gen is here: Full-Race/Borg-Warner EFR7163 in stock location. 440whp/443wtq - NASIOC

Have been doing a ton of turbo research and have been obsessed with the twin scroll set ups. That would end up costing me as much as one of these kits. I am really between the kit in the link and their 1.5 scroll kit. The fact that it is a complete kit and stock location is what amazes me. Talk about sleeper! For what I want, i think either of these kits would be what I am looking for. The Borg Warner EFR's have a built-in BOV as well. Now I need more fuel!

#5 ·
Sure, but will it net you close to 400awhp on pump gas and 400tq before 4000 RPMs? I also believe that EJ205 owners will need to swap oil pans to fit the header for the JDM STi ts. I was looking into getting the exhaust components from a JDM STi, but the cost is around the same for the Full Race kit and the Full Race kit would be upgraded parts (V-band 3" DP, up pipe, etc.). When I was shopping around for the VF37 "kit" it would cost around $1,500-$2k for everything.

I did some Google research and actually found Perrin did some testing between the EFR turbos and Garrets.

Linky: Borg Warner EFR-7163 Test and Tune PERRIN Performance Official Blog

The comparison is pretty impressive.

I only read the first page and I'm excited, is it released yet?!!
What's the price going to be? Full bolt on kit everything included except fuel upgrade correct?
Yup, everything but fuel. Pretty excited that it deletes the BPV on the TMIC.

^ think I'll be going with an 08 sti= save on my pocket.
Starting to school myself now;) that mod bug is gonna bite hard!
The thread I posted the owner owns an 08 STi. This set up would give you stock spool and close to 100 more ponies thank the 08 STi turbo. The graph below the guy is using 91 octane.

Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Tuner: Me, Paul Leung of YimiSport Tuning
Dyno Info: Dynojet 424X
Ambient Temp: 95*F
Elevation: about 1300' ASL
Transmission: Stock 6MT
Gear: 4th
Peak HP at RPM: 440whp @ 5900rpm (E85). 350whp @ 5900rpm (CA 91 octane)
Peak Torque at RPM: 443ft/lbs @ 3600rpm (E85). 353ft/lbs @3600rpm (CA 91 octane)
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: 230HP/255tq - 2008 STi
Target Boost: 25 PSI (E85), 22 PSI (91 Octane)
Target AFR: 12:1 (gasoline scale on E85), 10.9:1 on 91 octane
Fuel: E85 and CA 91 octane pump gas

Dyno Graphs:
Pump and E85 compared with a typical Stage 2 08+ STI

Damn near stock turbo spool with nearly 200whp more by redline... not too shaby

#8 ·
Me too!!! But he stated with a fmic, he believes the added yet cooler air would only shoot that number way way up, and his car pulls like garbage too.
So if I were to throw this hella awesome kit on an 08 with say 35k on the clock (not beaten)=420ish horsies......orgasm!!!!

Kirt? You know where to get E85 around here, Sandra, you could help with this as well?

I'm so sold and do stoked!
Keep in mind he was running crsppy 91

#9 ·
You'll need my engine to push 500whp and even then. 500 whp will destroy the longevity of a built block. Even his crappy numbers on 91 oct will pretty much start to push a stock engine. But, the guys from Yimi know their way around a EJ. So, he'll probably be good for a bit until the stock pistons decide to crap out.

Randy: I only have two stations near me within 30 miles that sell E85. So, I can't help you out. You lose MPGs running E85 also...

Edit: This turbo won't be out until 2013 anyways....so start saving the pennies.

#12 ·
Would be nice, although only a few orders would be placed by us. So nasioc would be the smarter place for them to be for Subaru guys.
Msf and nasioc are alot closer than us and msf. I noticed Tokay was looking into a kit for his speed. So maybe me and that kid have more in common than he thinks! HA!!!

#13 ·
Man, I am really going to have to port the info over because you guys don't want to read the NASIOC thread. LOL

They are offering 3 turbos with this kit. EFR 6258, 6758, and the 7163. The 7163 will not be available until 2013. The other two are available now. Because the 7163 is a "B1" frame turbo, it will be interchangeable with the 6258 and 6758 with no modifications necessary. The 7163 will spool quicker than the 7064 and nearly identical to the 6758, but will make 50+hp over the 6758. The 7163 is rated for up to 550hp, but it has been tested to make just over 580whp! Snagged this pic from a S2KI forum (Photo Credit to ScorpionT):

Their "web guy" is pretty slammed with SEMA coming up, but you should see these available for online order late October on Full Race's site. Or, you could find one of their vendors (see my last paragraph ;)). Keep in mind all their stuff (excluding turbo) is built in house. They say ~3-6 week wait time after the order is placed, but I would not be surprised if that gets extended.

Here is Geoff's reply to on one of my posts there -
They are available now - the 6258s are in stock and 6758s are coming in consistently. Deatschworks 1000cc or ID1000s is the recommended injector, and you can pair it with the DW fuel pump or a walbro 400lph works great for gasoline (walbro 416 if E85 is used)

Hello Boostinchick, The 1.5scroll kits are popular for the reasons you mentioned. Simple bolt on, allows you to keep TBE and existing turbo etc. However it can not perform at the same level as the EFR turbo (even on stock lower manifold). If you are a 2.5L considering GT3071R, the 6758 would be my recommendation. Conversely if you are a 2.0L the 6258 is suggested

With our EFR stock location you still retain the CBE, just need to change out your stock style DP, or get it modified to fit the EFR. The EFR turbos are simply too long to use the stock subaru config DP flanges.
Now, for the good news, I actually know of a vendor for Full Race locally to me. So, if any of you are serious for this kit just let me know. I am pretty much sold on the EFR 6758 kit Geoff recommended just need to plan my upgrades for fuel. Have to keep in mind that the horsepower rating is at the crank. By the time you account for octane, driveline, etc. it would probably put you ~400, maybe less, on a optimistic dyno. My biggest stink about going with a VF, or even a 20g, is the lag people complain about. I wanted to find a turbo set up that spooled like my TD04 from a dead stop. I am also into the "sleeper" look where a smaller turbo packs a nice sub 400awhp punch @ 3400 RPM's.

P.S. I mentioned 500 wheel torque! Not wheel horsepower!

#15 ·
That's enough torque to snap off yer pecker, as long as ya have one;) haha
I'm looking for the right car this year. Next year I will be counting up all my change for my large turbo upgrade. I'm pretty stoked about everything im reading on full race products.
I've been daydreaming about a large Dom setup, but now this threw a big ass wrench in that thought.
A bolt up stock location full kit is awesome! Especially when it has the ability to throw me back in my seat, all while making me pee my pants simotanesouly.

What I'm seeing is for under 10 grand total, this kit will spit out numbers better than 15k builds.

Paul, maybe I'll message them and see what they think of coming over to wrxtuners to vend for us.
Off topic again. Tokay was always just fun to mess with. But the guy does seem to know his sh!t about speeds. He's just a ton more byast than you. I'll have to come back and stir the pot again, as long as he doesn't ban me now.... FOL!!!

#17 ·
What I'm seeing is for under 10 grand total, this kit will spit out numbers better than 15k builds.
Full Race's 1.5 scroll kit is $3,500 and that comes with a dual ball bearing Garrett. From what my source/Full Race vendor tells me, this kit will be around the same depending on which BW turbo you pick and accessories. So, under $5k and that's including fuel upgrades and the average $450 dyno tune session. What's even more appealing (this was the deal sealer for me) is lifetime warranty on the Full Race parts. Although, I may spend the extra cash and get the uppipe/downpipe Swaintech coated. My only con with this kit is that you have to use the Full Race V-band downpipe and uppipe. That pretty much locks me into Full Race, and possibly Borg Warner EFR series turbos. I am still uneasy about that type of commitment LOL. Thankfully, it's only the downpipe and uppipe so I could just keep what I have in case I ever wanted to switch back.

And Randy, I am sure by next year there will be some shiny new toy or kit that will be the new hotness.

#18 ·
Haha
Full Race's 1.5 scroll kit is $3,500 and that comes with a dual ball bearing Garrett. From what my source/Full Race vendor tells me, this kit will be around the same depending on which BW turbo you pick and accessories. So, under $5k and that's including fuel upgrades and the average $450 dyno tune session.

And Randy, I am sure by next year there will be some shiny new toy or kit that will be the new hotness.
True, but since the buyer of this will have to stick with Full Race due to the up and down. They will probably produce a new bolt up replacement turbo, in fact, with all the people wanting them, it would be stupid not to have many swappable options processed.:rocks:

I wasn't sold yet on another company for ups and downs anyway. The only piece of exhaust I'm sold on for my new sti is the cat back;)

#20 ·
I'm reading the post. The impressive turbo that comes out in 2013 is the turbo that everyone is raving about and that's what I was referring to. I wouldn't want to swap out the turbo after a year of having a new turbo. Seems pointless....when you can just get it done all at once and tune for it once. Not twice...if you're using a protuner. Again...500 wtq, 400wtq, 500 crank hp, or 400whp. Its all going to make a stock engine go terminal on a dd. I don't care how nice the 2008+ engines seem. Especially a Gen 2 engine will go off like a gernade with that much power....unless you're a really experienced tuner and baby the piss out of the car more than you push it. Why would you do that if you're putting that much of power adders on your car? Maybe I'm just speaking out of my arse again and I don't know what I'm talking about. :confused:

#21 ·
The hp difference between the turbo coming out in 2013 and the turbo available now (6758) is 50hp. The turbos are actually interchangeable, so you wouldn't need to swap the turbo just the guts if/when you decide to upgrade. With your statement, increasing the timing and boost puts wear and tear on the motor someway, somehow. It's the risk we take when we mod our vehicles. I certainly think with the correct tune, mods, and pump gas that the car will be absolutely fine in the sub 400awhp range. It's not so much a power adder, or horsepower queen for me. If I wanted that I would slap on a 20g and not look back. It's the fact that this turbo delivers damn near stock spool AND the power it puts down is a happy/medium for what I am looking for.

My opinion is what's the point of modding the vehicle if not to push it?

#23 ·
Said it before and I'll say it again. We need a popcorn eating emoticon.

Sandra, not everyone wants to push their car to the limits. Sometimes if not all the time people want just a more fun ride/drive. My 2¢ worth

$ sometimes plays in as a factor as well.

#24 ·
And that is perfectly fine. That is why I prefaced my statement with "My opinion..." I am not new to the car game, and certainly not new to modding cars. I know the response I want from my WRX, and have seen this set up provide such results thus far. I am excited about it, and will most likely make the purchase.

#28 ·
I just think ignoring professional tuners general guidelines for when engine work should be done...isn't such a good idea. One of those tuners Yimi is actually breaking their own guideline with these turbos though. So, idk if there is something different with the 2008 EJs with the nitrid crank making a big difference or what. But, again...this is just me talking out of my ass over here. I can find the linky if you want.

#29 ·
Am I missing something?
I wouldn't skip the pros here. I would purchase the kit and all the fuel goodies to go along with it... Pump, 1000cc injectors(if not a bit bigger) and other stuff(already have an extra GS3 port laying around) so on and so forth. Than drop the car at Chads or IAG.( both great shops) and have them install and tune.
I could easily do the work myself, but wouldn't want the risk of that road trip F'n up my car.

So what exactly is skipping the tuner here Kirt?
I'm a bit lost as to why you speak of this???:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.