Subaru WRX Forum banner

Full Race: Borg Warner EFR Stock Location Turbo!

48K views 42 replies 6 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I have been following this thread pretty closely: Next Gen is here: Full-Race/Borg-Warner EFR7163 in stock location. 440whp/443wtq - NASIOC

Have been doing a ton of turbo research and have been obsessed with the twin scroll set ups. That would end up costing me as much as one of these kits. I am really between the kit in the link and their 1.5 scroll kit. The fact that it is a complete kit and stock location is what amazes me. Talk about sleeper! For what I want, i think either of these kits would be what I am looking for. The Borg Warner EFR's have a built-in BOV as well. Now I need more fuel!

#33 ·
Yea - the whole Yimi thing is going over my head :)

The kit is now listed on Full Race's site. Looks like ~$3,400 MSRP for the 6758 kit and the downpipe is catted. I am hoping to get it for less, but now have to save my pennies for fuel and WB02.

#34 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm not sure how I mis-spoke. But, it seems I did. It seems like slapping this turbo/kit on is pissing onto the guidelines of some of the best tuners on a flat 4 subaru have said for when the need to upgrade a boxer engine is needed. Meaning this kit will be well over the "suggested" numbers for needing to upgrade the engine. Here...just read this: The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

Edit: Crawford Performance and AMR are the two best in the business at tuning our engines. So, they might be able to save internal upgrades until around 500whp. Other tuners not so much and tuners have really started to learn our platform also. So, over the years there has been less engine problems. Its a grey area still...so, I guess run it till you blow it up though.

#35 ·
F-Yeah!!! Haha
I've seen much larger power increases on the newer sti's. that being said, if the motor gives out, than that just means a stronger build is what I would at that point in time need a loan for.
I myself know what I'm getting into, and the consequences as well. Then again, I rarely beat my cars anymore. When I was say 23 or so, different story for sure.

#36 ·
Considering I am going with the 6758 kit, I would be lucky to see 400awhp on pump gas (would be happy with 375awhp). According to that article, a good tuner, and sticking with 93 octane I should be fine. Good to know a sleeved block isn't needed until 550+ hp, and the stock motor can handle double it's factory output though. Definitely a bookmark for me. Funny to read AMR and Crawford have opposite tips for the ~400 range.

Quirt Crawford Of Crawford Performance
400 whp: There are no internal engine modifications needed at this power level. The car would need a larger turbo, intercooler, fuel injectors, fuel pump, AOS, and retune of the ECU.

Albert And Robert Bonamici Of Auto Master AMR
400 whp: We suggest a set of forged AMR pistons and billet rods to safely boost up the engine.
I talked to my guy about these kits and he has sold 3-4 turbo varying (6758, 7163, and a larger one that should put down over 500awhp). I may wait until after Christmas before picking this up just to see what actually comes with the kit. I read from Geoff @ Full Race that the hi-flow cat is included in the price, so going catless will adjust the price. Same with the BPV/BOV block plate.

#37 ·
Yeah, AMR has made probably one of the quickest 1/4 mile STIs out there and it is much believed that crawford has some sort of hand in the Subaru Rally America and RallyCross cars. Because of their experience with the Gymkhana Subarus. It wouldn't be a stretch to think they help http://vtcar.com to make their 600hp and 600tq Global Rally Cross beasts. The figures are from what Bucky Lasek claims the power is in a video. Who knows if he's bloating the figures or not.

#38 ·
DynoChart Time!

Dyno is from an 04' 2.5L on the same turbo set up I am looking at. This was 91 octane.

here is a dynochart a customer sent in of this kit with EFR6758 on a stock 2004 2.5L:

(ignore the dip, the dyno's rpm pickup was being intermittent)

the small frame EFR spool SO fast, i agree twinscroll is not nearly as big of a difference. The larger frame EFR's work great as singlescrolls with a T3 housing... But in twinscroll config their spoolup and response is the best ive experienced from any turbo mfg
376whp/349tq @ 91 octane.

Yes please! Can't wait to see some numbers on 93 with a more aggressive tune.

#40 ·
Top of the graph says "DynoJet Research" that would lead me to believe it's an inertia-type dyno, no?

Anywho, to sum up any updates of the thread a few people are starting to receive their orders for the kit. They weren't lying when they stated 4-6 weeks minimum! I am still into this set up, but am reading that they are now going to utilize an EFR 2 frame for twin scroll! Won't know more until summer of 2013.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.