Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fuel Filter Part Number?

24K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
Does anybody know the part number for a fuel filter for a 2007 WRX?

I've searched, but apparently not in the right place yet. If all else fails, I'll probably end up contacting the dealership, but I thought it might be easier and possibly cheaper to ask you guys first. Is it a universal part or are they car-specific? Any recommendations for a good brand? If somebody could post part numbers for fuel filters for every year WRX up to date, I'm sure it will help someone in the future. Thanks!

#2 ·
You have an in-tank filter which is a PITA to change. Scheduled change is at 60kmiles. I don't have a part number, but I know the price is ~$60-$80's. With your VIN, any dealership should be able to tell you the part number.

Or, you can go to subarugenuineparts.com and use their OEM catalog to order it. Browse "Replacement Parts" (mechanical), Search your year, make, and model. Click "Maintenance & Lubrication," "Engine Service," "Filters," then "Fuel Filters." Add the 'w/ turbo' and you're done.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info Vew. According to the Subaru maintenance schedule, the fuel filter should be replaced every 30,000 miles or 7,500-15,000 miles under severe driving. I'm gathering supplies for my 30K maintenance and I'm gonna throw a new one in there just to keep everything in tip top condition. I've been using Shell V-Power just about every fill-up too, so it'll be interesting to see if it's clogged or not.

boo-key bear: I know for sure the 2006-2007 fuel filters are located in the gas tank. Earlier models have them in the engine bay, but unfortunately, ours won't be as easy to change. At least the Japanese were smart and designed an access hatch to get to it through the trunk. I'm already looking forward to swapping mine out. Next time I go in there, hopefully it'll be for a Walbro 255 fuel pump :cool:

#5 ·
I found some more info (specific to WRXs, not sure if it applies to STis):

2002-2004 = the fuel filter is mounted on the driver's side strut tower next to the intercooler. It's a small cylinder (black or silver) with two hoses coming out of the top.

2005-2009 = the fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank

Also, the fuel filter part number (2.5L Turbo engine) is #42072FE020.

#8 ·
Thanks new.. man, I'm frustrated though. I just got back from my local Subaru dealer and after asking the guy behind the parts counter for a fuel filter for my Subaru, he didn't even ask what year or model or really any information about the car and just gave me a box. Fortunately, I did my research before I went in and I happened to notice that the part number on the box he gave me was different than the one I found from doing my own research. I asked him if he was sure that was the right part and he said yeah, it'll fit everything up to 04. I said, but mine's an 07 and Subaru started putting fuel filters in the gas tank in 05 so I'm pretty sure it's a different part. He replied, oh yeah, well that one's a sock and you don't need to replace that for 150,000 miles. Then I questioned further and told him the scheduled maintenance suggested replacing the fuel filter every 30,000 miles and I have friends with high horsepower cars who replace them every 15,000 miles. Then I asked if it would be a good idea to just replace it when I switch to an aftermarket larger fuel pump like the Walbro 255 - and he said that he had never heard of one of those. So I'm completely at a loss here WTF

Local parts stores don't have the part number or keep the fuel filter in stock because "my [2007] car is too new"

My local dealer doesn't keep the fuel filter in stock because apparently "they don't need to be replaced ever"

and SubaruGenuineParts.com has an error on the page so I can't even add it to my cart

I feel like this shouldn't be such a big deal. What do I have to do to get a new fuel filter for my car? :mad:

#9 · (Edited)
If you trust your dealership ask a service tech. They're the ones that do the 30k mile maintance service. They should be able to tell you which part number and filter your replacing. Just a suggestion...if you don't trust them. Then ask someone else that knows better thats local...I wouldn't know. I had my dealership do my 30k, I was busy at the time, and I knew it needed done. I want to keep my car running on the street as long as possible. :D That and I didn't want to get into the brake fluid drain and refill. I figured that was going to be a mess and above my knowledge level.

Unrelated: I know a guy that did a BBK on his 240sx and he forgot to properly burp and bleed them. Long story short....his car after working properly for about a week. Wouldn't stop and met the business end of a tree in a corner. The car was totaled and he didn't get seriously injuried at least. Because he car had a body kit an I'm always leary that body kits take away from crash protection. Ok, sorry for the thread jack.

#10 ·
i cant find anyone that carries that filter part # as well. why exactly are you wanting to replace the fuel filter? it's not really needed for a long time and i think severe driving might be considered racing.

oh and if you ever do find it here's a link to help you through the process

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sti_fuel_filter-t3611.html?t=3611

#13 ·
Yeah, fuel filters are apparently pretty expensive. I just started my 30K maintenance so I have quite a bit of work ahead of me still. I think when I'm finished, I'll add up everything I've done and see how it compares to the dealership price. I'm going to try to do everything myself and I bought some pretty high quality supplies. As long as nothing goes horribly wrong, I should have an update in the near future.

#15 ·
Hey man show! I think on our (06-07) cars you dont have to replace the fuel filter at 30,000 miles. In my 2006 warranty and maintenance book it says to replace every 60,000 miles. Check your booklet out and see what it says. I think 30,000 mile replacement only applies to makes/models with underhood filters. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.My stealership quoted me $499.95 + tax for my 30,000 mile tune-up. I did almost all of it. Here is what I spent in parts.

ENGINE OIL (Mobil 1 synthetic) 5 quarts @ $8 each = $40
OIL FILTER AND DRAIN PLUG SEAL (oem) $7
GEAR OIL (Mobil 1 synthetic for manual transmission and rear differential) 5 quarts @ $9 each = $45
AIR FILTER (I bought the recharger kit for my K&N) $15
COOLANT (oem not pre-mixed) 1 gal. @ $28
COOLING SYSTEM CONDITIONER (oem) $4

I never have got around to changing the brake fluid yet. That is a total of $139 I spent.

#16 ·
The subaru place here quoted me ay $790 IF nothing was wrong.

i told them not to bother scheduling me in. i went later and asked for a fuel filter and the guy at the parts desk said my car didn't even have one...

i stopped going to my dealership after that.

i also just got a letter informing me that on 2005-2007 imprezas have a one way fuel valve that needs to be removed. removal of the valve will not affect performance because it has been deemed unnecessary. if the fuel level get below 1.5 gal it's supposed to provide a fuel reserve for the fuel pump during cornering. BUT it may inadvertantly keep the small reserve from refilling causing the engine to suck in air and misfire. it could also screw up your catalytic converter pretty bad.

it's free to get it removed. i'm gettin my done wednesday. any one else?

#18 ·
Well, as usual I'm very thankful to have fellow enthusiast that also will do their own maintenance when possible. I looked through the parts and WOW do I find some contradicting Shizz... here's a copy of what I have on paper back in my glove box: Subaru Maintenance Schedules Scheduled Maintenance on your Subaru Under the 15,000 mile service I have a few extra's and the fuel filter is one of them. considering what I've just read in the last 20 minutes, I don't know what to believe at all... Also, the 15,000 mile service from the dealership is only $100 and I have a 12% off coupon, lol. If the dumb fuel filter itself is $70... I would be alright to just take it in there. OOORRR, if I am not in a big hurry to do it I could do what I planned and change to a Walboro 255 at the same time I do the filter by myself. Hmmm. This is more complicated than I thought! Any takes on what the real scoop is with these? I have noticed a drop in MPG for certain (about 2mpg on the same roads) and would attribute that to the fuel filter amongst other items, so I really want to get this puppy back in tip top again. Also, I'm just shy of 1,000 miles 'till the next scheduled oil/filter change so this is really early, but needs to be done.

#20 ·
I'm still bummed because:

(1) my fuel filter is somewhat hard to change since it's in the gas tank and not in the engine bay like the 05 and older models

(2) it's pretty expensive at the dealership

(3) it's not in stock at the Frederick Subaru dealership because the mechanic I talked to there said "oh, we don't even change those things... my daughter has a Subaru [whatever model] and she's driven well over 100k miles and we've never changed the fuel filter in that... yadda yadda..." I'm thinking I'll swing by the Hagerstown Subaru dealership at some point and ask them and see what they say.

(4) it's recommended by the manual that came with my car to change every 30,000 miles, but I still haven't done it and I'm approaching 48,000 miles

For now, I'm still planning to do nothing with my stock fuel filter until it's time to upgrade to a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump in preparation for a larger turbo and other supporting mods... which probably won't be any time soon unfortunately.

#24 ·
first fredbeansparts.com has the install kit for $30 but we dont need them. if your careful you can re-uses your stock stuff, the wrx harness plugs right into the Walbro pump so the kit comes with a harness for cars that cant plug right in and the Walbro pump with the Walbro filter are to large together and people say you cant install both together in are little pump housing so everyone always re-uses the stock filter.

but in your case, if you only wont the filter then buy the install kit for $30 with your stock pump and you should be fine! i cant believe a dealership doesnt look on the microfiche and look at your fuel pump!! right there should be a filter part number too unless subi sells them together.

o another note, civics have filter socks on there fuel pumps, and inline fuel filers. you sure you dont have an inline somewhere. its weird civics have two. also there fuel pumps have the same filter sock. Honda may have the part number for there cars if subi doesnt. but id just buy the install kit if your that worried and dont want to spend a lot of money! again though, if you go to install a Walbro your going to need a stock size filter sock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.