FP18g/STI intercooler - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

dillsky is an unknown
FP18g/STI intercooler

Has anyone installed the FP18g turbo along witht he STI TMIC on an '06 WRX yet???? I alreadt have the IC, the turbo and the IC hose kit along with a new STI air splitter and seal should be here in 2-3 days. Will be using with the cobb FP18g/93 oct map. The car has all the other supporting mods. Any info or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1313 is an unknown
I don't know , but would be interested what it makes.

Mmmmm Rice & V8. part of a healthy WRX diet..lol
#3 Old 08-15-2006, 04:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

06grayrex is an unknown
I want to know also.....That is the goal for mine. I first thought of going with the vf39 but then I got to thinking that I reallllly want to but a whippen on some evos. Also will we need to upgrade our injectors too?

Stage 1, SPT Intake,Perrin Crank Pulley
#4 Old 08-15-2006, 06:27 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I wouldn't use the STi TMIC with a 18G.Get something bigger/better.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#5 Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

dillsky is an unknown
As far as the injectors go, Cobb says the stock injectors can handle the power the 18g puts out. Unfortunatley I already bought the STI TMIC before i did my homework. According to a lot of people on the forums, there are some fitment issues with the hoses and mounting brackets. I probably should have went with a Perrin or Turbo XS TMIC.......but oh well, im stuck now. I'll be doing the install within the next week. I'll let you guys know how the install goes when i start.
#6 Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

06grayrex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsky
As far as the injectors go, Cobb says the stock injectors can handle the power the 18g puts out. Unfortunatley I already bought the STI TMIC before i did my homework. According to a lot of people on the forums, there are some fitment issues with the hoses and mounting brackets. I probably should have went with a Perrin or Turbo XS TMIC.......but oh well, im stuck now. I'll be doing the install within the next week. I'll let you guys know how the install goes when i start.

I don't want to sound like a noobeee but , who makes the 18g (brand/company) and where is the best company to order it from? Is APS also a great place to get a tmic? thanks for the reply.

After searching and searching I found the names of the companies and prices....(Forced Performance and Deadbolt enterprises)

Still let me know how the 18g works out. Thanks

Last edited by 06grayrex; 08-16-2006 at 02:06 AM.
#7 Old 08-16-2006, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxcop is an unknown
I will let you know how the 18g does on sept 14. I will be picking up my TR with 18g and sti top mount after its tune. My tuner has had previous 18g installs on the 06 wrx's , one using a FMIC and another using a sti tmic both have actually performed very well, but the sti tmic created a lot less lag. They recommend going with a deadbolt enterprizes 18g td06 rather than the fp version because of fitment issues they had with pervious installs. If your going to do it right I say pay the difference in the price tag and get a ported and polished turbo that will create an easier application especially when the deadbolt 18g is $1495 the fp runs around $1200 shipped. Either way your still going to have a bad ass car.
#8 Old 08-16-2006, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxcop
I will let you know how the 18g does on sept 14. I will be picking up my TR with 18g and sti top mount after its tune. My tuner has had previous 18g installs on the 06 wrx's , one using a FMIC and another using a sti tmic both have actually performed very well, but the sti tmic created a lot less lag. They recommend going with a deadbolt enterprizes 18g td06 rather than the fp version because of fitment issues they had with pervious installs. If your going to do it right I say pay the difference in the price tag and get a ported and polished turbo that will create an easier application especially when the deadbolt 18g is $1495 the fp runs around $1200 shipped. Either way your still going to have a bad ass car.
You are right-on about the Deadbolt part. That's where I just got my 20G from. Jerry Hagan is a great guy to deal with. You do get what you pay for.

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#9 Old 08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxcop
I will let you know how the 18g does on sept 14. I will be picking up my TR with 18g and sti top mount after its tune. My tuner has had previous 18g installs on the 06 wrx's , one using a FMIC and another using a sti tmic both have actually performed very well, but the sti tmic created a lot less lag.
The STi top mount is even to small for the VF39.For an 18G you will definatly be limiting your power potential by using it.You can find JDM STi topmounts fairly cheap.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 08-17-2006, 01:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

06grayrex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum
The STi top mount is even to small for the VF39.For an 18G you will definatly be limiting your power potential by using it.You can find JDM STi topmounts fairly cheap.
I heard that there is fittment issues with the sti tmic on a wrx tr. Is it true? What are the best aftermarket tmic for this set up that will not have fittment issues? Thanks for the advise.

#11 Old 08-17-2006, 11:50 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
there are fittment issues with the STOCK intercooler on the WRX lol, it's just a PITA. I don't think the STi one is particularly worse though. You probably are exaggerating some ppls problems with the install into a fittment issue.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
It's not fitmet issues but rather installation issue. To run the STi top mount you need to use the STI ypipe. not the WRX one.
The STi intercooler is not much better than the stock WRX one. You'd be better off with an aftermarket

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#13 Old 08-19-2006, 03:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

06grayrex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
It's not fitmet issues but rather installation issue. To run the STi top mount you need to use the STI ypipe. not the WRX one.
The STi intercooler is not much better than the stock WRX one. You'd be better off with an aftermarket
Besides the using the STI y-pipe, I heard the STI tmic will not align with the ic mounts on a reg wrx, and the hose that run from the ic to the throttlebody may need to be longer? Is this correct?