FP Red, Green, or GT52? im horrible at making decisions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
FP Red, Green, or GT52? im horrible at making decisions

so im wanting to save up to get a new turbo and get close to the 400whp mark. seeing how my car will be a daily driven car, lag and crazy top end arent something i really care to much about. wich turbo would be the best one to go with cause i for one have been given thousands upon thousands of routes to go with.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2010, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
out of those three the Green would be the best...but I would go with the FP68HTA...spools almost as fast as stock and can put you in the 380-390awhp range with a fantastic tune

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
out of those three the Green would be the best...but I would go with the FP68HTA...spools almost as fast as stock and can put you in the 380-390awhp range with a fantastic tune
380-390? Maybe on E85 and a 50 shot.
#4 Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm almost speechless...^

What are you talking about? Tim Bailey consistently makes those kind of numbers...

I was going to post a link but it looks like those dyno results aren't up anymore, he must be revamping now that he merged with Cobb. Anyway, 375 to 390 was a very consistent result on a green.

And having run an FP green, and now having a 500 hp WRX, I'm gonna have to say Matt knows what he's talking about.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#5 Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

i really really want to hit 400whp on a mustang dyno. i know its not about the number, but for me it kinda is. dont get me wrong i would rather have a reliable tune and be fine with a lower number than go ballz out and risk it just to reach my goal. but all n' all i want to get 400whp while retaining great reliablity. i just havent herd much about the 68hta. its my understanding that i cant reach 400whp without something greater than a 20g

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#6 Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I'm sorry I guess I should clarify, yes a green will meet your goal...but you won't hit full boost until after 4200RPM...and while the 68HTA won't hit 400 anyday on a Mustang, I've seen it come close on an STi on both a dynojet and dyno dynamics, so your probably looking at a 360whp turbo on PUMP GAS...now if you do run E85 you'll have an outside chance at 400. But the beauty of the turbo is that you'll hit full boost by 3200-3600 and hold it to ~6500-6700 RPM depending on your supporting mods, even though you won't have the same peak power you'll have more under the curve which is why there are plenty of cars running this turbo in the mid 11's

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Problem with the green though is that it's a BIG turbo for not being ball bearing. It has horrible transient response. For a drag car it's great, but if you want to auto-x the car it kind of sucks.

HTA68 will get you in the 375 range on E.
GT3076 will get you around the 375-425 mark on E depending on tune, elevation, etc.
My choice would be a Dom 3XTR though. Spool is probably on par with a 3076 and has more power potential to run 450 or more to the wheels.

If you ever want a turbo above the HTA68 size though (roughly), do yourself a favor and at least throw some forged pistons in there.

-Chris
#8 Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Seriously, you want 400 whp and not do a piston upgrade? Then stop trying to play in the number game. 330-350 whp/tq is the fine line of possible piston popping power. If not at least blowing a ring or a bearing. You still want quick spool and big numbers. Its not going to happen unless someone makes a twin scroll turbo that is capable of both. Problem is that most aftermarket twin scroll doesn't work the way it should be. Asynchronized scroll. That way one compressor gets it scrolling fast and then it switches over to the other compressor to get the big number. Think this is a stupid idea and it can't happen? It can and I can't find a link to it. But, I heard that's how the new dodge turbo diesel does it. After a certain pressure is reached the turbo ends up pushing the second compressor.

Almost all aftermarket twin scroll are synchronized scroll and it doesn't help as much as it should. That's what my tuner was telling me. That and the exhaust system has to be linked up just right to get twin scroll to perform at its best. Headers, manifolds, pipe lengths, UP, and DP everything has to be in tweaked in to get it running at its best. I was secretly wishing that Blouch would end up making a twin scroll Dom 3.0. But supposedly they can't get the housing to make it and its just not a project that my tuner will be able to test for them.

Matt is your turbo sychronized scroll or asynchronized?

In Short Keshav. Get the turbo Matt was talking about, a 20G-XT, or a Dom 2.5 XTR. All of those turbos spool quickly and make a great top end. If your willing to suffer some lag....a slightly bigger turbo like a Dom 3.0 or simular will get the numbers like Chris has said. But, your probably going to blow up the pistons, rings, or bearings.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I agree with Kirt. You have very conflicting goals.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I'm almost speechless...^

What are you talking about? Tim Bailey consistently makes those kind of numbers...

I was going to post a link but it looks like those dyno results aren't up anymore, he must be revamping now that he merged with Cobb. Anyway, 375 to 390 was a very consistent result on a green.

And having run an FP green, and now having a 500 hp WRX, I'm gonna have to say Matt knows what he's talking about.
68HTAs are hitting 350s on E85 on median reading dynos. Claims of 360 on pump and almost 400 with E85 or meth are ludicrous. Those are numbers being produced by the The Shop in CT's magically unicorn dyno. You're talking about a glorified 18G.

Tim Bailey/Surgeline has been with Cobb for 2 years now.
#11 Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Garage
There's a guy down here who strapped one of those 68HTA's on an EJ255 and was under 300 on 93 octane...

#12 Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but on my first Evo 8 (LOTS of mods) I had a ported fp green that was only putting down around 325whp on 91 octane (DynoDynamics). But it drove like a dream on the street and I'd go that route again in a hearbeat. It's a fantastic DD turbo but trying to hit 400whp with it on an Evo requires E85 at a minimum, and usually meth.

I agree that instead of shooting for 400whp you should aim for 350whp if you don't want your car breaking. If you want the pychology of telling people you have 400whp then you can do it but you're going to have gobs of turbo lag and a less reliable car.

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#13 Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Garage
400whp on a mustang dyno with 93 octane generally requires a GT35R which doesn't spool at all till after 3500RPM

#14 Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

well i guess 400whp isnt really the best option then. after reading the comments above, id rather have a turbo that spools quick and pulls hard pretty close to redline than having to wait forever just to spool it up. the tuner at secret services suggested i run n02 rather then meth for safety reasons and that its easier to tune for. so 360-380whp is good enough. big numbers arent really necessary and/or practical for what i use my car for really. if i can hit 11's with the 68hta on 93 and meth/n02 ill be set.

(right now im making 267whp and 299wtq corrected on a mustang dyno while running crazy rich)

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#15 Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Do you have access to E85? I would look at that before ever considering Meth, especially before considering N02.

-Chris