Finally ordered my turbo! - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
I'd be telling him to get a 12mm JDM or Cosworth pump. That's what size Subaru motors designed to rev that high use. I'm using an 11 mm but I'm happy with 7,500 (any higher and I'm not satisfied that my setup would be ideal). My tuner only took me to 7,250.
My apology I did shim mine. I spin it to 8900 without any issues. Granted it might be me.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, I'm using a 11mm and I'm still at 7,250. My tuner might push the redline back if I went with a bigger turbo. My whole engine was balanced and blue printed for it though. Because my tuner was thinking about possibly spinning my engine to 8,000 rpms. But, my turbo isn't making anymore power over 7,250. So, it is what it is.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#63 Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Yeah, I'm using a 11mm and I'm still at 7,250. My tuner might push the redline back if I went with a bigger turbo. My whole engine was balanced and blue printed for it though. Because my tuner was thinking about possibly spinning my engine to 8,000 rpms. But, my turbo isn't making anymore power over 7,250. So, it is what it is.
Didn't you get a bigger turbo, like a DOM3 or something...??

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#64 Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
as of right now im still waiting on my engine to get torn apart to see what the damage exactly is. The parts that i listed off that are going into the engine build are subject to change. As for the pistons and the compression ratio, once my motor is torn down and i get the call back ill discuss it with him.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#65 Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
as of right now im still waiting on my engine to get torn apart to see what the damage exactly is. The parts that i listed off that are going into the engine build are subject to change. As for the pistons and the compression ratio, once my motor is torn down and i get the call back ill discuss it with him.
For the record I'm not doubting your builder/tuner, just don't wanna see someone stick alot of money into a motor and only use it for a street car and once in a while a race car...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#66 Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Didn't you get a bigger turbo, like a DOM3 or something...??
Yeah, I have a custom CHRA on my Dom 3. My tuner is saying this turbo doesn't make more without knock over 7,250. So, he kept it at that. He said if I go rotated or something bigger than the Dom 3 he can probably get more out of the top end. Again, my tuner tunes for drive ability and not numbers. I'm sure I could get him to flog the crap out of it....but, he wouldn't be happy with it. He did a pull at 28 psi on my turbo and it was making over 400 wtq, but he pulled the plug because he didn't like what he saw.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#67 Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Yeah, I have a custom CHRA on my Dom 3. My tuner is saying this turbo doesn't make more without knock over 7,250. So, he kept it at that. He said if I go rotated or something bigger than the Dom 3 he can probably get more out of the top end. Again, my tuner tunes for drive ability and not numbers. I'm sure I could get him to flog the crap out of it....but, he wouldn't be happy with it. He did a pull at 28 psi on my turbo and it was making over 400 wtq, but he pulled the plug because he didn't like what he saw.
Guess reading your sig is out of the question for me....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#68 Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

i understand where your coming from. at this point idk if i will be putting in cams. i had a talk with Jeff Perrin for a while and he said hes making over 450whp on stock heads no problem. im just trying to look at this project from every angle. yea i want a fun daily driver car i can do some fun driving in, yet if there are things in the build that i can do without i have no problem removing them.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#69 Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
i understand where your coming from. at this point idk if i will be putting in cams. i had a talk with Jeff Perrin for a while and he said hes making over 450whp on stock heads no problem. im just trying to look at this project from every angle. yea i want a fun daily driver car i can do some fun driving in, yet if there are things in the build that i can do without i have no problem removing them.
Yeah most people don't realize the ability of the stock heads, especially STi heads. I run stock 2.0L WRX heads on my 2.34L with Spec C cams and have made pretty decent power from them. I know of people sinking thousands of dollars into a car and it is money just wasted since they will never use the full potential of the motor. You could use that money for other stuff....like beer..

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#70 Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

i would buy bottles of jack and coke

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#71 Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

just a quick up date: The block has been striped down and everything checks out and all the parts have been ordered.

cp forged low compression pistons
acl bearings
gsc stage II cams
H-beam rods
perrin header
oem gasket pack
moroso oil pickup tube
timing belt
water pump
11mm oil pump
oil (break in and pro tune)
oil filters (break in and pro tune)

just need to give shop $2,000 to have my block sent to the machine shop for machining and honing (6-8 weeks) then once it gets back it will take another week to put it all back together and then a couple hours to tune.

i should have my car back up and running by the end of the year.

Keshav (kay-shuv)

Last edited by srninjastar; 09-19-2012 at 02:01 PM.
#72 Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
What valves and springs will you be running?
#73 Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC springs and retainers

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#74 Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

update

I called the shop yesterday to check on the status on my engine build. It will be done at back at the shop from the engine builder on the 4th and it will take roughly a week to install. that weekend i will have my car back with the break in tune. oddly enough its on my birthday weekend...couldnt be timed any more perfect then this.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#75 Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Just be aware that BC springs aren't unknown to kill valves. There are many tales available on the internet.