Finally ordered my turbo! - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
well things are changing up...again. i called my original tuner and he said to scrap all of that and to just bring the car in. We talked for a good 45min on exactly what i want done to the car. i said since i have low compression on cylinder number 4 you guys are gona have to take the motor out and see whats wrong right? hes like yea...? so im like well if ## gona do that build the motor out and do what u gota do for me to make 450-500whp. hes like alrighty. give me a list of what the people at the store quoted u and lets see if we can match or beat it and get u up and running again. So at the moment im wating for a motor build quote, this friday i have a guy on nasioc buying my 1.5xtr for 1430 shipped, and at the end of the month i should have 3gs. so if this motor build is in my budget, which im pretty sure it will be, ill be slapping down them 4gs for them to start taking my motor apart and make a monster. just need to figure out how much labor and tuning will be lol.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No, don't answer my post... don't worry about it.

Carry on

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#33 Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

after talking to my tuner, he said it will cost me $12,000 for a complete build with forged everything, new valve train stock location gt3582R turbo with external waste gate with a new clutch and flywheel and all the other goodies i need to make 450-500whp. now i have $4,000, i just need to figure out how to the get the other 8000...

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#34 Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I was going to say you'll need a GT 35R turbo to be even close to your goal with a fully built engine. I dropped about 14k on my last engine build and my engine is pretty well fully built. I probably should've went with GSC stage 2 cams if I wanted even more power. But, eh....such is life.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#35 Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

so i talked to my tuner again when i got of work and hes like look, you need to get ## car up and running again cause it the only car you got right? so why do you just bring it in and ill build your motor out with top notch parts, replace the oil and water pump, the timing belt and that whole assembly and put it back in the car and tune it, but you will still keep your stock heads and turbo. and if we need to replace the valves or what ever else on cylinder number 4 it wont be much. all of this for 8gs out the door no questions with full warranty. i was like THAT i can do. So at the end of the month or a few weeks into july ima drop my car off to be built and then gona max out the 1.5xtr and see what happens, durring the mean time as i am able to drive to work and what not, i can save for whatever turbo kit and valve train he recommends. When the time comes to swap out the old with the new my motor will be able to handle it no problem. these next few months are gona be crazy.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#36 Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
It sounds like your going to drive around in a car with a blown motor? If so that is a terrible idea.

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#37 Old 06-22-2012, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

all it did was just fail the compression test on cylinder number 4. once it did that i took it home and its just been sitting in my garage. when i go to my original tuner to get the car built they are gona take it apart and see exactly what the failure was, fix the original problem, then build it out. since they are doing the job its gona be under warranty. by "old with the new" i mean the 1.5xtr setup with a rotated turbo setup.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#38 Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

So the STi is getting dropped off on saturday. After talking to the tech and tuner this will be the build:

Fully machined and balanced block
manley pistons with custom compression ratio
manley rods
ACL bearings
oem oil pump
oem water pump
gates timing belt and timing accessories
GSC Stage II cams
BrianCrower springs and retainers
port and polished heads
over sized valves
oil pick up tube
filters (during and after break in)
oil (during and after break in)
coolant
and tune.

ill have it back in roughly 2 months due to the high amount of cars they also are working on.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#39 Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
What turbo will you be running? Those cams are usually for 35R and up I thought.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#40 Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
What idiot shop told you to get a BC valvetrain? They know that these constantly fail right?

And with a Dom 1.5, I'd stick with GSC's stage 1 cams. I have stage 2 GSCs for my Dom3 and actually regret them because of how much the reduced my low end.
#41 Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
also oversized valves are really a waste of money unless your really going all out with a big turbo

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#42 Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scratch that i will not be doing the over sized valves or porting them, but i am going EL header. The owner has built and tuned numerous wrx and sti builds and he said that even though BC makes some crappy stuff the bc valve train is legit. hes had them tested against other valve train systems and there was very little difference and till this day has not had a single problem with any of his customers car with that valve train in them. GSC stage 2 cams will not mess my low end up at all plus this will help me out when i go big turbo next year. Reason why im doing all of this is so that i dont have to do it later on when i go rotated. plus the guy who is tuning my car is one of the best in houston hands down, so im pretty confident in the power band that this setup will put out.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#43 Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
*raises hand*

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#44 Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

you're an idiot if you believe that those cams will not hurt your low end

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#45 Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
GSC stage 2 cams will not mess my low end up at all
Any tuner on earth will tell you otherwise. Did Brad (that's who I'm assuming is doing this work?) tell you this? The S1s will work fine for a 30 or 35R and they don't require you to machine to heads to get them to fit like the S2s do.