Subaru WRX Forum banner

Finally ordered my turbo!

21K views 81 replies 10 participants last post by  srninjastar 
#1 ·
After having the STi for a little over 2 years i finally got the money to buy a Blouch 1.5xtr. Im so excited to finally get back on track with modding my car. The VF39 took a dump a few months back so i havent hit boost in quite a while. Once i get my turbo ill be getting madddad uel headers, heat wrap, turbo blanket, 850cc injectors, amr turbo inlet, and kstech big maf intake. hopefully after i get my retune i should be somewhere in a mid 300's which is perfectly fine with me. Once thats done its time to go low and get some wide xxr527's and gid rid of that park bench. This is gona be a fun summer :D

#59 ·
That's what i was getting at about what rpm he was going to run. Based on my own experince if you use the 11mm pump he'd be okay. It just says stock oil oump, so for a 04 the newer 11mm pump supercedes the prior 10mm.

#62 ·
Yeah, I'm using a 11mm and I'm still at 7,250. My tuner might push the redline back if I went with a bigger turbo. My whole engine was balanced and blue printed for it though. Because my tuner was thinking about possibly spinning my engine to 8,000 rpms. But, my turbo isn't making anymore power over 7,250. So, it is what it is.

#64 ·
as of right now im still waiting on my engine to get torn apart to see what the damage exactly is. The parts that i listed off that are going into the engine build are subject to change. As for the pistons and the compression ratio, once my motor is torn down and i get the call back ill discuss it with him.

#68 ·
i understand where your coming from. at this point idk if i will be putting in cams. i had a talk with Jeff Perrin for a while and he said hes making over 450whp on stock heads no problem. im just trying to look at this project from every angle. yea i want a fun daily driver car i can do some fun driving in, yet if there are things in the build that i can do without i have no problem removing them.

#69 ·
Yeah most people don't realize the ability of the stock heads, especially STi heads. I run stock 2.0L WRX heads on my 2.34L with Spec C cams and have made pretty decent power from them. I know of people sinking thousands of dollars into a car and it is money just wasted since they will never use the full potential of the motor. You could use that money for other stuff....like beer..:D

#71 · (Edited)
just a quick up date: The block has been striped down and everything checks out and all the parts have been ordered.

cp forged low compression pistons
acl bearings
gsc stage II cams
H-beam rods
perrin header
oem gasket pack
moroso oil pickup tube
timing belt
water pump
11mm oil pump
oil (break in and pro tune)
oil filters (break in and pro tune)

just need to give shop $2,000 to have my block sent to the machine shop for machining and honing (6-8 weeks) then once it gets back it will take another week to put it all back together and then a couple hours to tune.

i should have my car back up and running by the end of the year.

#74 ·
update

I called the shop yesterday to check on the status on my engine build. It will be done at back at the shop from the engine builder on the 4th and it will take roughly a week to install. that weekend i will have my car back with the break in tune. oddly enough its on my birthday weekend...couldnt be timed any more perfect then this. :D

#76 ·
u cant just blame the part. its also how its installed. if a shitty engine builder puts in a piece designed for a certain application and it goes to hell everyone and their mom just blames the part and not the builder and thats how manufacturers get a bad rep. The shop i chose to have build my car is known for fixing all the problems that other shops in houston #### up. If the owner of the shop has assured me that the BC springs and retainers will do its job and he uses them on all his wrx/sti and has not herd of one problem with any of them, ill bet my bottom dollar this guy knows what hes talkn about. if it goes to hell and i drop a valve during the break in period o well its covered by warranty. if not cool.

#82 ·
Tuned by Eric @ Kozmic Motorsports

Tuned at 21psi, 93 octane. Car would not make any more then 22psi on the dyno due to maxed out map sensor and pulling 4 degrees of timing due to false knock. (front right wheel bearing causing knock sensor to go off). Cams not tuned fully for max power also due to knock sensor.

Numbers
Dyno: Mustang
Fuel: 93 pump gas

WHP: 333
WTQ: 320

(turbo has much more power to make. replacing map sensor and wheel bearing. replacing stock header with perrin or invidia EL header and going in for a retune)

Car Info
Year: 2004 STi
Engine Management: Cobb AccessPort V2
Turbo: Blouch 1.5xtr 8cm^2
Intercooler: Turbo XS FMIC
Injectors: FIC 900cc top feed injectors with top feed conversion kit/fuel rails and fuel lines
Intake/Inlet: Custom big maf intake. AVO turbo inlet
Downpipe: Ebay
CBE: Ebay
BOV: Turbo XS resirc.
Forged pistons
H beam rods
GSC stage 2 cams
BC springs&retainers
Grimmspeed AOS
Grimmspeed up pipe
Fuel lab fuel pressure regulator
ARP head studs and case bolts
Grimmspeed EBCS
Walbro fuel pump
ACT clutch and light flywheel

Over all im pleased with the power the car made. yea its not what i expected, but the car sure does pull, specially up top. My tuner said that the turbo/fueling is no where near maxed out and that a lot of power is to be had. I figure if i swap my stock headers for EL headers it will drop my psi due to the car becoming a more efficient air pump timing&fuel can be added. Fixing the wheel bearing will eliminate the knock sensor going off, more timing&fuel can be added. replacing the map sensor with a higher reading map sensor going from 21psi to ~25psi more fuel can be added. Not to mention the cams being tuned to their full potential. Factoring all that in plus proper tuning i should be in the high 300's or so.

I think ive already stated this before, but i will be keeping the turbo setup for a year or 2 until i finish with school then go rotated pt 6262 with a smaller hot side for better low end response. make as close to 500whp that my tuner will deem reliable and stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.