Subaru WRX Forum banner

Finally ordered my turbo!

21K views 81 replies 10 participants last post by  srninjastar 
#1 ·
After having the STi for a little over 2 years i finally got the money to buy a Blouch 1.5xtr. Im so excited to finally get back on track with modding my car. The VF39 took a dump a few months back so i havent hit boost in quite a while. Once i get my turbo ill be getting madddad uel headers, heat wrap, turbo blanket, 850cc injectors, amr turbo inlet, and kstech big maf intake. hopefully after i get my retune i should be somewhere in a mid 300's which is perfectly fine with me. Once thats done its time to go low and get some wide xxr527's and gid rid of that park bench. This is gona be a fun summer :D

#28 ·
ill be going with a vigilant motor sports oem sti short block with forged rods and cp pistons, stock machined heads, gsc stage 2 cams, springs and retainers, perrin rotated gtx3076r with .82 hot side, turbo xs rotated turbo intercooler piping, ngk step colder plugs, intake and exhaust valves...maybe, act heavy duty street clutch with street light fly wheel, and perrin equal length headers. all of this tuned should yield me around 490whp..i hope.

#31 ·
well things are changing up...again. i called my original tuner and he said to scrap all of that and to just bring the car in. We talked for a good 45min on exactly what i want done to the car. i said since i have low compression on cylinder number 4 you guys are gona have to take the motor out and see whats wrong right? hes like yea...? so im like well if ## gona do that build the motor out and do what u gota do for me to make 450-500whp. hes like alrighty. give me a list of what the people at the store quoted u and lets see if we can match or beat it and get u up and running again. So at the moment im wating for a motor build quote, this friday i have a guy on nasioc buying my 1.5xtr for 1430 shipped, and at the end of the month i should have 3gs. so if this motor build is in my budget, which im pretty sure it will be, ill be slapping down them 4gs for them to start taking my motor apart and make a monster. just need to figure out how much labor and tuning will be lol.

#33 ·
after talking to my tuner, he said it will cost me $12,000 for a complete build with forged everything, new valve train stock location gt3582R turbo with external waste gate with a new clutch and flywheel and all the other goodies i need to make 450-500whp. now i have $4,000, i just need to figure out how to the get the other 8000...

#34 ·
I was going to say you'll need a GT 35R turbo to be even close to your goal with a fully built engine. I dropped about 14k on my last engine build and my engine is pretty well fully built. I probably should've went with GSC stage 2 cams if I wanted even more power. But, eh....such is life.

#35 ·
so i talked to my tuner again when i got of work and hes like look, you need to get ## car up and running again cause it the only car you got right? so why do you just bring it in and ill build your motor out with top notch parts, replace the oil and water pump, the timing belt and that whole assembly and put it back in the car and tune it, but you will still keep your stock heads and turbo. and if we need to replace the valves or what ever else on cylinder number 4 it wont be much. all of this for 8gs out the door no questions with full warranty. i was like THAT i can do. So at the end of the month or a few weeks into july ima drop my car off to be built and then gona max out the 1.5xtr and see what happens, durring the mean time as i am able to drive to work and what not, i can save for whatever turbo kit and valve train he recommends. When the time comes to swap out the old with the new my motor will be able to handle it no problem. these next few months are gona be crazy.

#37 ·
all it did was just fail the compression test on cylinder number 4. once it did that i took it home and its just been sitting in my garage. when i go to my original tuner to get the car built they are gona take it apart and see exactly what the failure was, fix the original problem, then build it out. since they are doing the job its gona be under warranty. by "old with the new" i mean the 1.5xtr setup with a rotated turbo setup.

#38 ·
So the STi is getting dropped off on saturday. After talking to the tech and tuner this will be the build:

Fully machined and balanced block
manley pistons with custom compression ratio
manley rods
ACL bearings
oem oil pump
oem water pump
gates timing belt and timing accessories
GSC Stage II cams
BrianCrower springs and retainers
port and polished heads
over sized valves
oil pick up tube
filters (during and after break in)
oil (during and after break in)
coolant
and tune.

ill have it back in roughly 2 months due to the high amount of cars they also are working on.

#42 ·
Scratch that i will not be doing the over sized valves or porting them, but i am going EL header. The owner has built and tuned numerous wrx and sti builds and he said that even though BC makes some crappy stuff the bc valve train is legit. hes had them tested against other valve train systems and there was very little difference and till this day has not had a single problem with any of his customers car with that valve train in them. GSC stage 2 cams will not mess my low end up at all plus this will help me out when i go big turbo next year. Reason why im doing all of this is so that i dont have to do it later on when i go rotated. plus the guy who is tuning my car is one of the best in houston hands down, so im pretty confident in the power band that this setup will put out.

#46 ·
Yeah, one of the reasons I stayed with GSC S1 Cams. I might even go R30 or R35 if I can stop paying for stuff like the last motor build and a wedding in the near future. Gah!! But, still GSC S1s have a awesome low end pull in 1st gear in a 6 spd manual.

#48 ·
I actually spoke with Dave over at South Side Performance in Houston, not engine logics about the entire build(great guys) and he said word for word that the gsc stage 2 cams are not going to effect my low end by a crazy amount, yes i will lose some low end but its not like im gona have to wait a forever for my turbo to spool, plus im doing all this now so that i dont have to do it later on when i go bigger turbo. im only going to stick with this setup for a year or 2 tops. who cares if a lose a bit of low end. Also if those BC springs and retainers go to hell i got 90 days to bring it back to be fixed under warranty. If you think im an idiot whatever. Anyways, I see someone has their hand up...

#57 ·
There's more to it than that. My big question to your builder would be finding out what your real compression is going to be. I have seen Manley pistons that say 8.5:1, but once you calculated everything out wound up being well over 9:1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.