Finally ordered my turbo! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
Finally ordered my turbo!

After having the STi for a little over 2 years i finally got the money to buy a Blouch 1.5xtr. Im so excited to finally get back on track with modding my car. The VF39 took a dump a few months back so i havent hit boost in quite a while. Once i get my turbo ill be getting madddad uel headers, heat wrap, turbo blanket, 850cc injectors, amr turbo inlet, and kstech big maf intake. hopefully after i get my retune i should be somewhere in a mid 300's which is perfectly fine with me. Once thats done its time to go low and get some wide xxr527's and gid rid of that park bench. This is gona be a fun summer

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Why would you downgrade to XXRs? And please don't go hella flush. !Notfunny!
post #3 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

they are cheap and i love the concave 18x9.75 wheels. im so sick of rota grids and those god awful 6 spoke wheels that other wrx and sti owners tend to slap on. these are probably the only wheels i liked out of all the others ive seen on our cars. also, i will not be doing the whole hella-flush things, even though i "liked" in on FB lol. i will be going low and rolling my fenders but i wish to keep my car functional as i do DD my car.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #4 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
There are a few problems with this. Anything over 8.5" on a street driven Subaru is going to be redundant. The offsets on the nearly 10" wheels along with going low will destroy the handling characteristics that you expect out of a performance car and a car that's used as a daily driver and you're not going to be able to fit anything that is supposed to go on wheels that wide on without cutting your stock fenders and getting flairs. Also, Sportmaxs, XXR's parent company, are worse than what I'd expect to scrap from the bottom of a barrel as far as wheel brands go. They are made of butter and, as I said in another thread today, I've won money betting that cars being pulled into the shop with XXRs had damaged wheels.

I have a set of DW750cc Cobb Specs for sale and will have a set of DW1000cc injectors available to sell shortly.
post #5 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lol maybe 9.75 is a little crazy. ive herd nothing but good things from xxr wheels tho. i guess ill just look around more to find some decent concave 7 spoke wheels in gold.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #6 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
People often spout about how awesome a part they got is without really knowing anything about it to justify their purchase. This problem is the only reason that companies such as BC, XXR, and Mishimoto are still in business selling parts.
post #7 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

there are plent of people over on nasioc with xxr527's who seem to enjoy them a lot. if i cant find something as good as the xxrs then ill most likely end up buying them and posting about it. they are roughly 150 a wheel so im not really to concerned if they get super effed up. at the same token im not looking to break them either. as of right now my main concern is gettnig the rest of those power mods and getting a retune. that will keep me very happy for a while until i deiced to change the outside of the car.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #8 of 82 Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im with Justin on the wheels. A guy I work with has a Cobb STG2 3 series BMW. Well he wanted to change up the wheels, and thought that the XXRs were too good to be true, he was right. They lasted exactly one pot hole, and he cracked both passenger side rims. Just saying, save up and get quality, not quantity.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 82 Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
they are roughly 150 a wheel so im not really to concerned if they get super effed up.
What if you have to replace tires or get towed? I didn't think these things thru when I bought an off-brand radiator, which has since cost me $700 for purchase and "upkeep".

Definitely find something made to higher standards. Save yourself the hassle.
post #10 of 82 Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lol i know i know. i have plenty of time to scope out some solid wheels. in the meantime ill post pics of the turbo when it comes in on thursday as well as the rest of the go fast bits. once thats squared away ill post vids of the dyno runs and dyno sheet. really looking forward to this.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #11 of 82 Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You'll love that turbo, because I know you're looking for near stock spool and that turbo will spool quick on a STI and/or 2.5L WRX.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 82 Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Aren't the XXR's heavy as a mofo?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #13 of 82 Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

at long last...