Subaru WRX Forum banner

Finally ordered my turbo!

21K views 81 replies 10 participants last post by  srninjastar 
#1 ·
After having the STi for a little over 2 years i finally got the money to buy a Blouch 1.5xtr. Im so excited to finally get back on track with modding my car. The VF39 took a dump a few months back so i havent hit boost in quite a while. Once i get my turbo ill be getting madddad uel headers, heat wrap, turbo blanket, 850cc injectors, amr turbo inlet, and kstech big maf intake. hopefully after i get my retune i should be somewhere in a mid 300's which is perfectly fine with me. Once thats done its time to go low and get some wide xxr527's and gid rid of that park bench. This is gona be a fun summer :D

#3 ·
they are cheap and i love the concave 18x9.75 wheels. im so sick of rota grids and those god awful 6 spoke wheels that other wrx and sti owners tend to slap on. these are probably the only wheels i liked out of all the others ive seen on our cars. also, i will not be doing the whole hella-flush things, even though i "liked" in on FB lol. i will be going low and rolling my fenders but i wish to keep my car functional as i do DD my car.

#4 ·
There are a few problems with this. Anything over 8.5" on a street driven Subaru is going to be redundant. The offsets on the nearly 10" wheels along with going low will destroy the handling characteristics that you expect out of a performance car and a car that's used as a daily driver and you're not going to be able to fit anything that is supposed to go on wheels that wide on without cutting your stock fenders and getting flairs. Also, Sportmaxs, XXR's parent company, are worse than what I'd expect to scrap from the bottom of a barrel as far as wheel brands go. They are made of butter and, as I said in another thread today, I've won money betting that cars being pulled into the shop with XXRs had damaged wheels.

I have a set of DW750cc Cobb Specs for sale and will have a set of DW1000cc injectors available to sell shortly. :p

#7 ·
there are plent of people over on nasioc with xxr527's who seem to enjoy them a lot. if i cant find something as good as the xxrs then ill most likely end up buying them and posting about it. they are roughly 150 a wheel so im not really to concerned if they get super effed up. at the same token im not looking to break them either. as of right now my main concern is gettnig the rest of those power mods and getting a retune. that will keep me very happy for a while until i deiced to change the outside of the car.

#8 ·
Im with Justin on the wheels. A guy I work with has a Cobb STG2 3 series BMW. Well he wanted to change up the wheels, and thought that the XXRs were too good to be true, he was right. They lasted exactly one pot hole, and he cracked both passenger side rims. Just saying, save up and get quality, not quantity.

#10 ·
lol i know i know. i have plenty of time to scope out some solid wheels. in the meantime ill post pics of the turbo when it comes in on thursday as well as the rest of the go fast bits. once thats squared away ill post vids of the dyno runs and dyno sheet. really looking forward to this.

#18 ·
just a quick up date: since i got my turbo, i now have an avo turbo inlet, grimmspeed up pipe, turbo blanket, and 880cc injectors. now im just waiting on a bit more cash so i can purchase the grimmspeed AOS and finally be done. ill be sure to post a full write up with some install pics, as well as a dyno write up when i get the chance.

#20 ·
So over the weekend me and a couple buddies put in all the goodies i bought for the STi. heres a couple pics of what all went in and the final product. ill hopefully be getting tuned tomorrow. Ill post up the dyno video and wrtie up when i do. For now heres some sweet pics

#24 ·
Horrible news: cylinder 4 failed the compression test and went to hell. they tuner said he cant/wont tune it cause its pointless. they went in depth and said they are gona need to get a new short block in and quoted me $7500 for a new block + install and labor. F**K that noise. went to IIR and asked josh how much a new sti short block with forged internals were. $2645. gona jump on that and get it at the end of the month. also i decided that i cant make good power with what i got, so im gona take off all the turbo bits and sell them and go rotated. I was so mad this afternoon, but after thinking about it and talking to my original tuner i have a solid game plan and i should have all my NEW new goodies in a couple months. in the mean time i cant drive my STi because it wont idle. it just shuts off. so its gona be in the garage collecting dust until i can get all this stuff saved up for. Its just stuff like this that just makes me want to throw in the towel and just sell it and forget about the whole performance car scene, but ill really think about it and remind my self of the times i was in the protege and realize i can never do that crap again.

#27 ·
Yeah....so you're just going to take the big splash into the rotated world? My next step would either be rotated or slow spooling stock location. Either way I would have a laggy turbo...well, more laggy than what I have now. Which isn't that bad in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.