Finally making the leap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Finally making the leap

I finally got off my butt (not really, I did it sitting at my computer) and ordered my AP, Cobb catted dp, Borla Hush cat back, and a Perrin IC hose. Of course I've pored over the dyno charts and everything I could find here about increased power output, and it seems like Cobb's dyno chart is very optomistic compared to what other people are saying they're putting to the wheels. What I do like about their curve, though, is not so much the increase in peak tq but how big a jump it is at 3000 rpm-looks to be 70 to 80 lb-ft.

I've seen people say the dif between stage 2 and stock is "night and day" but I'm an engineer and I like to be able to quantify things. So for those of you that have done the stage 2 with the OTS map, what quantifiable differences will I feel? Anyone measure the dif in 0-60 times? Without the electronically limited top speed, what's the upper end? Does it entirely or mostly eliminate that pesky turbo lag? And finally, what would be the difference in output between that set up with a protune vs the OTS map? Again, I've seen "night and day" but I want numbers!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
Numbers dont mean anything man. Your just going to have to wait and feel the power gain for yourself. I went from a stage 1 ots map to stage 2 ots and the power gain was insane. I dont have a full exhaust just up and dp and i love the way my wrx sounds. I never tracked my car so i wont be able to tell you my exact times, but i've heard that a stage 2 wrx does high 13's low 12's. The power gain from stock to stage two is somewhere between 50-65whp and torque. You will definentally notice it thats for sure. As far as pro tunes go, my buddy got a protune for a stage 1 sti completly stock and he said it almost felt like his car was slower ### the power transfer was so much more smooth. A pro tune wont offer much more hp and tq over an ots map but alot of people say that a stage 2 pro tune is well worth the money, even if you have an ots stage 2 map.

thats suppose to be low 13's high 12's lol

Last edited by 04wrxhart; 08-01-2009 at 02:55 PM.
#3 Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
umm...I've never heard of a Stage 2 car running 12 anything

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Besides stage 2 STis ^^^^^^ But def not a wrx. Unless maybe launched at 7000 rpms and tranny survives it will make a low 13. Might be diff if it was a stage 2 '09 wrx.

Oh and OP protune vs ots map difference might be about 15ish whp if that. But hard to really just give a # since that's what you're asking for because every car reacts differently.

You get 10 cars and get the exact same parts and tune and the majority will be different. Dont get stuck in the "numbers." Numbers are just numbers.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#5 Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Yeah, I know I shouldn't get hung up on numbers, but unfortunately that's how engineers are. Hearing the power gain is "insane" makes me feel good, though.
My Boxster S was the most powerful car I've ever driven and it only made 258 hp/228 ft-lb. Everyone said the dif in torque between the S and the base model, maybe 20 ft-lb, was very noticeable. I'm just trying to get an handle on what kind of dif my butt dyno is going to show me. Actually, I'm just trying to mentally justify spending 2 grand on car parts for a perfectly good, quick car.
#6 Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
On a Mustang Dyno bone stock 2006 WRX's put down around 175 WHP and 195 WTQ.

On a Mustang Dyno tuned stage 2 2006 WRX's usually put down around 250 WHP and 280 WTQ.

Hope that helps. It is hard finding untuned OTS map Stage 2 numbers.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#7 Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
That might be a bit opptimistic Ken. That's my STI stage 2 protune numbers. Except my numbers are 255/280. It all depends on the day, humidty, temp, your car, and the dyno.
#8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
ken...those seem more like dynojet numbers to be honest

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#9 Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You will notice a huge difference. It's not just the acceleration you can feel, it's also the sounds of the turbo and exhaust that make it feel like a whole different car. If you do it all at once you will certainly have a huge smile on your face the first time you floor it in first gear.

The best part for me was the improvement in daily driving since I use mine for commuting. The turbo lag is gone and zipping in and out of traffic is a blast.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#10 Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
That might be a bit opptimistic Ken. That's my STI stage 2 protune numbers. Except my numbers are 255/280. It all depends on the day, humidty, temp, your car, and the dyno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
ken...those seem more like dynojet numbers to be honest
Those numbers were averaged from PPB on NASIOC were I looked at tuned Stage 2 setups on a Mustang dyno.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#11 Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Did the stage 1 reflash tonight, once I found the test mode connectors on the passenger side. Big dif. The lag is all but gone...when I mash the gas at 2 grand it literally flies up to redline-it must change the AT shift points because I don't know as I've seen redline before. I kind of miss the hit when the turbo spools up, don't really even feel it now the power delivery is so smooth. The stage 2 mods go on Saturday morning. Really looking forward to that.
#12 Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Stage one is nite and day, never experienced on an auto, but loved it on mine. Just wait till saturday, it will be another big difference already. Good luck with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Okay, stage 2 mods went on Saturday. I won't say that I'm disappointed, but it was not as marked a difference as I thought it would be. Of course, the exhaust is much throatier than stock, and my wife hates it-thinks it's much too loud. Really it's only louder when I'm on the throttle, cruising it's very quiet, I think.

From a dead stop it spools up very nicely. When I'm moving, say cruising at 1500-1800 rpm and I hit the gas, there is still more lag than I would like. I actually think it spooled up quicker on the stage 1 map. I guess that's the downside of an automatic. With a standard I seriously doubt I would find myself at 1500 rpm very often.

I'm going to do a high flow panel filter next, although I would guess that's more top end than lower down. Would a 3 port BCS and tune get me much more at the bottom end? The closest place to me that tunes with Cobb is about 100 miles away, but I've seen a lot of good stuff about Clark Turner's maps. For $150 that looks like it would be worth a shot.
#14 Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have you tried logging with your AccessPort to see if you are hitting the recommended boost in the map notes?

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#15 Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Have not logged yet. I did have the AP plugged in some Sunday night when I was out tooling around and the highest boost I saw was 14.2. Can't say that I hit WOT during the time I was watching it, though.