External WG setup or internal? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
External WG setup or internal?

Just posted a FP Green on Nasioc and got asked if the flapper was welded shut for external WG setup. I've rebuilt a block, but handled a turbo once before this guys, so sorry I'm kind of a newb to turbos. How do I tell? Here's the pics so we can get on the same page:Green turbo pictures by code72chase - Photobucket

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

jdowrx is an unknown
If you look at the picture you took from the back of the turbo, where the downpipe is bolted to, the little circle to the right is the waste gate. Some people weld that so it doesnt open to run an external wastegate, which is why they are asking. From the picture it doesnt look like it has been welded.
#3 Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cool, got it, it's not. Now how do I tell whether it is a 7cm or 8cm back housing? I don't know what to measure... It has an 070 printed above it...

-Brandon
#4 Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yep, as long as the flapper moves it's still good for IWG...

Now for 7cm or 8cm, I'm not 100% but it should be the diameter of the turbine wheel on the hotside, so the turbine to the left of the flapper.

Somebody confirm this?

-Chris
#5 Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sold already, but I'm still curious. that turbine measures 2 3/8". So... that converts to under 6.25 cm. I don't know...

-Brandon
#6 Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Cool, got it, it's not. Now how do I tell whether it is a 7cm or 8cm back housing? I don't know what to measure... It has an 070 printed above it...
The 070 indicates 7cm. All original Greens used 7cm housings unless it was a custom order to have one built with a larger hot side.