External Wastegates and You! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
hm, well I would think a GT30R would be a little bit bigger than the green.

I suppose you could internally gate a GT30R without much difficulty. They just aren't commonly found that way. GT30Rs use a different mounting position than the stock turbo so since you're already putting on a new up+down for a different mounting position, you might as well throw on an external gate. The FP green on the other hand is mounted in the same place as stock so if you keep internal gating, you can keep the stock configuration of piping. Many people already have a downpipe long before they turbo swap so not having to buy a new uppipe + downpipe or fabricate something is a big plus

What do you really gain on a turbo like the FP green going external vs internal? Well, I've never seen dyno charts from an identical turbo set up both ways but the advantage of a less disruptive waste gate is the gain. How much does a 4-cylinder need to worry about back pressure? I'm not going to pretend to give you facts on this but I can't imagine you're going to see much although I imagine there'd be some difference. Wither or not it's even detectable by the butt dyno int he end would be questionable.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement