External Wastegates and You! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GoWRXGo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to GoWRXGo Send a message via Yahoo to GoWRXGo
Thumbs down External Wastegates and You!

guys, im having a hard time figuring this one out...maybe someone has already asked this question and I have overlooked it in the forums, but can anyone tell me the difference between an Internal and External Wastegate? What benefit can I gain from having an external Vs. stock? Does it even matter? Also, has anyone ever had one installed and if so, what can I expect to pay for an install since from what i've been told is very complicated because it completley changes the system of the car....once again, not sure if I've just heard BS or the real deal...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Internal: Located on the turbo's turbine housing. Size and precision is limited. Wastegate gases are mixed with turbine gases.

External: Located on the uppipe. Typically larger than internal, and better at managing boost. Wastegate gases are completely separate from turbine gases (unless you direct the piping back into the downpipe). Less backpressure.

Basically... external wg is better than internal. period. you WILL see gains from ewg, now matter what turbo is on your car (of course how much will vary). HOWEVER, ewg is EXTREMELY loud. That is basically the only con (or another pro depending on how you look at it). It's not even that expensive ($500-600).
post #3 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GoWRXGo is an unknown
super sweet pics man, thanks alot, that cleared up alot of confusion

post #4 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
External wategates can be run back into the exhaust after the turbo.You don't have to just dump an external wastegate.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
External wategates can be run back into the exhaust after the turbo.You don't have to just dump an external wastegate.
that's true (and i did mention it), but if you do that, you eliminate some of the greatest benefits of ewg: reduced turbulence and back pressure. you end up spending more (more fabrication) for DECREASED benefits.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
that's true (and i did mention it), but if you do that, you eliminate some of the greatest benefits of ewg: reduced turbulence and back pressure. you end up spending more (more fabrication) for DECREASED benefits.
Doh!Missed that at the top of the picture!Most cat backs are 3" which is more than enough for 500 hp cars.The turbo itself creates the most back pressure in the exhaust.I can't see how diverting the wastegate back into the exhaust after the turbo is going to meet much resistance,but i guess it depends on the size of the turbo.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GoWRXGo is an unknown
at what stage of tuning should one attempt to try this mod? i've heard both positive and negitave sides of this mod simply for the fact that the only people around this area that has the knowledge and experience to do it wants to charge an arm and a leg for labor.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

there are companies that can provide you with pre-flanged uppipes and dump tubes. no need for customization (unless you want to route it back to the downpipe) Imo, if you can handle the noise, do it now! here's one place you could buy one: http://importimageonline.com/index.p...h=22_34_45_465
post #9 of 16 Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you're not going to see too much gain from just switching to an external wastgate. Maybe a little but with a stock turbo, you're just not making enough power to really warrant a fancier piping solution. You should consider an external wastegate for larger turbos and more aggressively tuned cars. The 06-07 have bigger motors which generate more exhaust gases and have more issues with the stock internal gate however the 02-05 don't really bottleneck too much through it.

Basically, on a TD04 EJ20, an external wastgate is overkill. You'd get more gains from removing some random weight by going on a diet or cleaning out your glove box. The 06-07 WRX will probably see some small gains with tuning but nothing worth the cost of parts and headaches. Either car when switched over to a larger turbo though will almost require it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #10 of 16 Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I agree with mosc.

Big turbo car go for it but not on the stocker.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

HUMANPIE is an unknown
So in your guys opinon, at what size turbo would it be worth the hassle? Say on a 2.0L? and a 2.5L?
post #12 of 16 Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
If i were running an fp green and supporting mods, what should i run, a 38mm or a 44mm ewg?
post #13 of 16 Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
44mm would flow a ton, on the 2.0 id say only the 38mm is necesary

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-13-2007, 12:46 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you can get a green internally gated as well. It's not so big as to absolutely require it. The main ones that need external gating are the ones on rotated mounts like the GT30R and GT35R which are nice large turbos that you typically wouldn't internally gate.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #15 of 16 Old 11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
ok thanks, ill probly go with the 44mm since when i do my turbo swap ill be doing the 2.5l block too. Is a 30r that much bigger than an fp green, i know the green flows 49lb per min, what does the 30r and 35r flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement