Subaru WRX Forum banner

External Wastegate?

61K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  dumdum 
#1 ·
i was recently looking around at some fourms about the external wastegates and i ahve an idea of how it work... although not 100% would this be recommended on a stock turbo say if it were placed on the uppipe...and how well would i benifit from it? over my stock internal.... thanks!

#5 ·
well the VF39 was discontinued because it's wastegate path was too small in favor of the VF43 which is basically the same except a larger wastegate. There's probably a few hp of gains with that particular turbo.

but longshot's right. It's once you get into some 300whp+ turbos that you start not wanting internal gating.

#10 ·
well i just added an EWG on my stock turbo, grimmspeed ewg up kit with external dump....its HELLA LOUD!!!! i wouldnt say its necessary on the stock turbo...but i love how it sounds. i did it since within the next year im going with a 47 or 52lb/min turbo. i didnt want to buy one up pipe now and another one later.

#12 ·
you don't need an external wastegate to hold boost to redline. My 07 wasnt making the right boost with my cobb stage 2 map so we installed a hallman manual boost controller and an 18 psi wastegate actuator. The actuator was only 80 $ and the boost controller was around 150 but my car makes almost instant boost and will hold 16/17 pounds right to redline.

#14 ·
It will have gains on a stock turbo. One of the local guys picked up more HP at less boost than his prior tune when he switched to an EWG. Same tuner and same dyno the only thing that changed was the EWG setup.

Taken from the TurboXS website:
The advantage of the External Wastegate is to help the turbocharger operate more efficiently. This is done by relieving a large amount of back pressure pre-turbine housing. Less restrictive turbine housing will allow you to run higher boost pressures which typically results in more horsepower and even the ability to run higher ignition advance if needed. It is common to see a 15 hp to 30 hp gain when going from Internal Wastegate to External Wastegate setups. When boost is held flatter throughout the rpm band, the result is higher horsepower numbers at less peak boost pressure vs. the Internal Wastegate.

#20 ·
i just added a deadbolt 20g since my stock turbo died....def love the ewg now. tuner loved it already being on there. its still loud as hell haha. and i love it. wouldn't have it any other way. boost control is solid!

#21 ·
Since reading through this I have been trying to readup about preferences and the pros and cons. It seems like a decent setup, especially with helping hold boost and all. But like stated everyone say how loud it is. Is there a way to not have it as loud possiby?

**Sorry for jacking the thread**

#24 ·
Yes.It can just be pipe back into the downpipe.I think some companies might already make a kit that comes with a modified downpipe.I know I have seeen them on alot of the rotated kits.Alot of states/counties/townships will not allow you running a straight pipe of the wastegate,especially if you are required to have catalytic convertors/emmisions.You won't pass state inspection in those areas and the cops can/will issue tickets.

#27 ·
you can put the EWG on ANY turbo you want....but the bigger it is...the bigger the advantages are...on my td04 it helped with spool and helped hold boost. on my 20g....i cant really compare to IWG since the EWG was already there...but it holds whatever boost i want all the way to redline...and yes its illegal to have on the car here in Texas, as it will fail state inspection had i of not fixed all the CEL's with enginuity. and i def dont go WOT when im next to a cop...it is basically an exhaust dump if u need to know how loud it is....people roll up their windows when i drive next to them :-D

#30 ·
but it holds whatever boost i want all the way to redline..
So does my $12 GM boost solenoid.:) The advantages are definatly with the bigger turbos but you can't compare to the stock solenoid setup when there are much cheaper alternatives that do the same.Any 3 port solenoid with a good tune will allow for much quicker spoolup and better boost control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.