External Wastegate? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It's a TD04. It's ####ing tiny. It's also fairly expensive to do and hard to fit in there without going with a rotated mount turbo. 15 to 30hp on what turbo??? Surely not a TD04

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
So, it's ok to run on a stock td04 ?? Is the pipe necessary in addiotion to the EWG ?? Was going to get one a while back but everyone was against it. Grimmspeed swears by them.
Ok to run.... Yes
Necessary... No

You will still have a gain, but not what you would see on a bigger turbo.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #18 of 30 Old 06-15-2008, 12:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
It's a TD04. It's ####ing tiny. It's also fairly expensive to do and hard to fit in there without going with a rotated mount turbo. 15 to 30hp on what turbo??? Surely not a TD04
The info on TurboXS's website does not list specifics on the turbo used for their information.

post #19 of 30 Old 06-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Garage
And expensive! You're underestimating how costly it is because existing piping needs to be changed.

post #20 of 30 Old 06-15-2008, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
i just added a deadbolt 20g since my stock turbo died....def love the ewg now. tuner loved it already being on there. its still loud as hell haha. and i love it. wouldn't have it any other way. boost control is solid!

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
post #21 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Since reading through this I have been trying to readup about preferences and the pros and cons. It seems like a decent setup, especially with helping hold boost and all. But like stated everyone say how loud it is. Is there a way to not have it as loud possiby?

**Sorry for jacking the thread**

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #22 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:

Well Mosc, I'm sure you have heard THIS before.... It's not the size that counts !Laugh!

Wonder if anyone has tried it on a td04. I will be going w/the 18g or 20g anyways next year possibly. So.......

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #23 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Wonder if anyone has tried it on a td04. I will be going w/the 18g or 20g anyways next year possibly. So.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
One of the local guys picked up more HP at less boost than his prior tune when he switched to an EWG. Same tuner and same dyno the only thing that changed was the EWG setup.
He was running one of the TurboXS EWG kits. I will have to try to track down what the actual gain was. Sorry I forgot to mention that he did this on a TD04.

post #24 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Since reading through this I have been trying to readup about preferences and the pros and cons. It seems like a decent setup, especially with helping hold boost and all. But like stated everyone say how loud it is. Is there a way to not have it as loud possiby?

**Sorry for jacking the thread**
Yes.It can just be pipe back into the downpipe.I think some companies might already make a kit that comes with a modified downpipe.I know I have seeen them on alot of the rotated kits.Alot of states/counties/townships will not allow you running a straight pipe of the wastegate,especially if you are required to have catalytic convertors/emmisions.You won't pass state inspection in those areas and the cops can/will issue tickets.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #25 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Well Mosc, I'm sure you have heard THIS before.... It's not the size that counts !Laugh!

I'm 6'4", can palm a basketball and have size 14 feet. Size matters.

post #26 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
Quote:
I'm 6'4", can palm a basketball and have size 14 feet. Size matters.

palm a basketball part got me.............lol
post #27 of 30 Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
you can put the EWG on ANY turbo you want....but the bigger it is...the bigger the advantages are...on my td04 it helped with spool and helped hold boost. on my 20g....i cant really compare to IWG since the EWG was already there...but it holds whatever boost i want all the way to redline...and yes its illegal to have on the car here in Texas, as it will fail state inspection had i of not fixed all the CEL's with enginuity. and i def dont go WOT when im next to a cop...it is basically an exhaust dump if u need to know how loud it is....people roll up their windows when i drive next to them :-D

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
post #28 of 30 Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thanks for that input Dumdum. I plan on eventually running an 18G or 20G, just would like to get the most out of my setup. I will keep searching and reading.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #29 of 30 Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Vanilla, do a sound clip and post it.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #30 of 30 Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaJuice View Post
but it holds whatever boost i want all the way to redline..
So does my $12 GM boost solenoid. The advantages are definatly with the bigger turbos but you can't compare to the stock solenoid setup when there are much cheaper alternatives that do the same.Any 3 port solenoid with a good tune will allow for much quicker spoolup and better boost control.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement