External Wastegate? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
External Wastegate?

i was recently looking around at some fourms about the external wastegates and i ahve an idea of how it work... although not 100% would this be recommended on a stock turbo say if it were placed on the uppipe...and how well would i benifit from it? over my stock internal.... thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PVMNT View Post
i was recently looking around at some fourms about the external wastegates and i ahve an idea of how it work... although not 100% would this be recommended on a stock turbo say if it were placed on the uppipe...and how well would i benifit from it? over my stock internal.... thanks!
With the TD-04 you won't benefit at all. It doesn't push enough air for an extra dump tube. Flowing all exhaust through the DP is your best option for the stock turbo, AKA internal wastegate.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#3 Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So......What size pushes enuff air to constitute a EWG ??
#4 Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
So......What size pushes enuff air to constitute a EWG ??
I would consider running an EWG on a Big 16G or higher. I'd say if I was pushing 300+awhp I'd benefit from that system.

Edit: I would not run one on say a VF-39.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#5 Old 03-06-2008, 02:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
well the VF39 was discontinued because it's wastegate path was too small in favor of the VF43 which is basically the same except a larger wastegate. There's probably a few hp of gains with that particular turbo.

but longshot's right. It's once you get into some 300whp+ turbos that you start not wanting internal gating.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
This is slightly off-topic, but do any of you know how much of a difference dumping the wg into atmosphere makes vs. routing it back into the downpipe?
#7 Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
if done correctly in a car that makes <500whp, I'd say none

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
This is slightly off-topic, but do any of you know how much of a difference dumping the wg into atmosphere makes vs. routing it back into the downpipe?
Depends on the size of the downpipe and the turbo.Also depends on how you can put up with how annoying dumping the wastegate before the muffler sounds and getting tickets from cops.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#9 Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ok... I was thinking around 330 whp, 3" tbe. Still thinking about whether or not I should do it... afraid of the costs I guess.
#10 Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
well i just added an EWG on my stock turbo, grimmspeed ewg up kit with external dump....its HELLA LOUD!!!! i wouldnt say its necessary on the stock turbo...but i love how it sounds. i did it since within the next year im going with a 47 or 52lb/min turbo. i didnt want to buy one up pipe now and another one later.

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
#11 Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

dremers is an unknown
^^^^^^ i was going to say that there are people running EWG on stock turbos. From what i have read the EWG holds boost consistently straight through redline. It is a must to get protuned for this though.
#12 Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

cobra121990 is an unknown
you don't need an external wastegate to hold boost to redline. My 07 wasnt making the right boost with my cobb stage 2 map so we installed a hallman manual boost controller and an 18 psi wastegate actuator. The actuator was only 80 $ and the boost controller was around 150 but my car makes almost instant boost and will hold 16/17 pounds right to redline.
#13 Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

2 fast 4 u is an unknown
wASTEGATE

Quote:
I OWN A 2002 WRX AND THE OLD OWNER HAS A EXTERNAL WASTEGATE AND A INTERNAL WASTEGATE IS THIS OK
#14 Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
It will have gains on a stock turbo. One of the local guys picked up more HP at less boost than his prior tune when he switched to an EWG. Same tuner and same dyno the only thing that changed was the EWG setup.

Taken from the TurboXS website:
Quote:
The advantage of the External Wastegate is to help the turbocharger operate more efficiently. This is done by relieving a large amount of back pressure pre-turbine housing. Less restrictive turbine housing will allow you to run higher boost pressures which typically results in more horsepower and even the ability to run higher ignition advance if needed. It is common to see a 15 hp to 30 hp gain when going from Internal Wastegate to External Wastegate setups. When boost is held flatter throughout the rpm band, the result is higher horsepower numbers at less peak boost pressure vs. the Internal Wastegate.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#15 Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So, it's ok to run on a stock td04 ?? Is the pipe necessary in addiotion to the EWG ?? Was going to get one a while back but everyone was against it. Grimmspeed swears by them.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3