Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust Rattle

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased a 06 STI and after 3 months i started to notice a faint rattle comimg from my exhaust. Today the rattle has gotten to the point to were i hear it all the time; downshifting, coldstart, idle, etc. After lifting the car, The rattle sounds like its coming from inside my mid-pipe
Aftermarket parts include: catback exhaust, coldair intake, BOV.

#2 ·
In alot of cases its the heat shielding that has come loose and causes rattle. Depending on your setup you may have some or all of your factory head shielding still on the car. Check to make sure all your connections are solid first then try tapping on the he shielding with a rubber mallet and listen for the rattle. If something moves its likley where the rattle is coming from.

I had a similar issue with my 13 up pipe rattling. I resolved it by wrapping the pipe with titanium manifold wrap and sliding it down until it was between the manifold and the OE heat shielding, A quick stainless tie to hold it in place and it shut the rattle right up and its been good for the last 20k miles.

hope that helps

#4 ·
If you dont have heat shields on any of your exhaust path ( check headers, up-pipe, turbo heaat shield up top, downpipe, midpipe, aaxleback ) you might have a physical rattle elsewhere. Exhaust hangers can sometime fail or rot out and put odd strain on connections and flanges making odd noises.

On a 10 year old car you may also have a bushing thats rotted out and the metal collar could be interacting with the bracket. I would check your drive line bushings from the pitch stop and engine mounts to the rear diff bushings. If its none of those there might be a body panel pin thats loose causing a rattle or noise.

I totally know where your coming from. i have a hatred for rattles and vibration noises. I dont mind feeling them but hearing metal rattling drives me up the walls. Ive gone so far as sliding neopreme shets under door cards and mating points between the dash and door cards to knock out squeaks and rattles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.