Exhaust Leak??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

deftonesfan7 is an unknown
Exhaust Leak???

i dont know if this is a common thing amungst these cars but i have a cobb TBE and for some reason i am hearing a lot of noise coming from what seems the passenger side of the car under acceleration. Could this mean that i have a leak by the cat? and i think i am getting a puttering noise from the engine too? im not sure if there is a way to check on these on my own or if i will need someone else's help in checking this.

also, i know this seems like a dumb move but after seeing and hearing a lot of the larger exhausts that have the canister style muffler and large tip i want to go to a exhaust place and see if the can take off the cobb muffler and put on a canister that they might have that would have a large mouth to it. is this a dumb idea? Should i just leave it alone? is the only thing i am going to gain from this is sound?

Thanks for all your input on this.

My car here -> www.cardomain.com/ride/2465242
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2007, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
To check for an exhaust leak completely cover the tip of the muffler and listen to see if you can hear anything. The exhaust pressure should force your hand off the exhaust pipe after a few seconds but if the exhaust leak is real bad then it won't. If you have someone else you should be able to pin point the location of the leak.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Erlend is an unknown
I have a DP on my 06 and I am getting a LOT more noise from the passenger side, where the DP is located, then when it was stock.

I think what you are hearing is the turbo spooling and pushing air into the system. At what RPM do you really hear the sound? Mine is a bit more engine noise (read boxer ping) untill around 3k and then the "wind noise" starts. It's a somewhat high pitched whisstle sound that keeps building untill I let off the throttle and then I hear a slight expulsion of air. What all that is, is the turbo spooling and forcing more air into your system and then your BPV (by-pass-valve) letting go of the excess when you let your foot off the gass. It's quite normal from what I understand, especially considering how restrictive the stock DP is.

I would not mess with what Cobb have engineered. If you want more sound you should not have purchased a system that prides itself in being, "not much louder then stock". Prying off the muffler and adding another one will probably be as expensive as getting a new cat-back system from one of the great vendors we have access to through wrxTuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement