Eliminating knocking - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-11-2003, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Eliminating knocking

I've been told that colder plugs could help eliminate knocking, as could automating IC spray at certain boost levels. How much would these help?

Is there any way to increase fuel? I heard having an atmospheric BOV with the stock computer would cause the engine to run rich. How rich? And what other side effects could result?

I'm trying to eliminate the knocking as quickly as possible and with damaging the warranty as little as possible...but if it is unavoidable, the warranty can roast in hell.

RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2003, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

candela is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to candela
1) yes a step colder plug "may" help, however does anyone really know what the knocking is coming from? If its not preigniting that the plugs maynot help and even give a little less power. I woudl try lowering the gap a little bit and see if ti helps out first. You could get a Hobbs pressure switch and set it up with the sprayer and have it come on at say 8psi or so and spray until i gets lower than that.

2) an stmospheric BOV will make you run rich, but it wont help your fuel maps at all. When they say runnign rich it means mostly in between shifts (ex: backfiring, idle issues and fireballs) as the maf count of air isnt being used if its being vented to the atmosphere rather then back to the intake... so no that will not help

3) well if anything just let it knock and have the dealers warranty take care of it for you..
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2003, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by candela
1) yes a step colder plug "may" help, however does anyone really know what the knocking is coming from? If its not preigniting that the plugs maynot help and even give a little less power. I woudl try lowering the gap a little bit and see if ti helps out first. You could get a Hobbs pressure switch and set it up with the sprayer and have it come on at say 8psi or so and spray until i gets lower than that.

2) an stmospheric BOV will make you run rich, but it wont help your fuel maps at all. When they say runnign rich it means mostly in between shifts (ex: backfiring, idle issues and fireballs) as the maf count of air isnt being used if its being vented to the atmosphere rather then back to the intake... so no that will not help

3) well if anything just let it knock and have the dealers warranty take care of it for you..
At the moment, no knock. Haven't heard it clearly for a couple weeks. Just in case though...gonna wait to see what dealer does and what a UTEC can do. Leaving my options open.

RN