Ebay TMIC - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Ebay TMIC

Is there anything bad about Ebay TMIC's? Does anyone here have experience with them or use them successfully?

02 03 04 05 06 SUBARU STI WRX EJ TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER: eBay Motors (item 270590704060 end time Aug-06-10 20:11:38 PDT)

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
This is a highly contested topic on Nasioc, and something I've been interested in since I just got a STI TMIC. There were tests done with temperature probes that showed that the STI TMIC did a better job of cooling the air.

Some of them fit good, some don't. It's a gamble at best. Check out the CXRacing ones, as they seem to be the highest quality. A friend of mine with an EVO runs it and he made 507WHP, but he does say that it heatsoaks like crazy and that's on a front mount set-up.

I just went with a used STI TMIC, and felt good about it b/c I knew it would fit (with new silicone hoses of course).

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#3 Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
i have a ebay tmic. its stupid big and i had to wrestle with it to get it in. once i got it in though it heat soaked. and this is a bar and plate design intercooler mind you. with that intercooler i was boostn at 18 psi. i decided to go back with my stock STI intercooler. it was like night and day. much better responce and im now at 18.5 psi. ill save that intercooler when i get a larger turbo. but for now the STI intercooler is doing the job real well.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#4 Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I plan on getting an 18G in the future, but I wanted to get an intercooler now. An STi one is too small for that turbo though, right? The CXRacing one would be better than at Ebay one?

cxracing.com: Top Mount Intercooler w/ Y-Pipe Kit for 02-06 WRX STi , Includes Intercooler Piping Hose Clamp

Mike
#5 Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You can run an STI TMIC with an 18G, probably be limited by it tho. The problem with the ebay models is they are inferior in design and material to the name brand ones. The ebay groups just find a name brand one that is easy to copy, then manufacure with no R&D. Just save up and get a good quailty name brand TMIC. You can even find them used sometimes.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Ok thanks for the help guys. I just bought an EBCS and I wanted to get something else too so I'm not spending $200 just to tune for the EBCS. I figured a TMIC was a good choice. Would I notice any differences if I pick up a used STi TMIC?

Mike
#7 Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes, the STi TMIC flows better you would notice a slight increase in engine response

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 07-30-2010, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarnham View Post
I plan on getting an 18G in the future, but I wanted to get an intercooler now. An STi one is too small for that turbo though, right? The CXRacing one would be better than at Ebay one?

cxracing.com: Top Mount Intercooler w/ Y-Pipe Kit for 02-06 WRX STi , Includes Intercooler Piping Hose Clamp
I ran a 20G on an STI TMIC.
#9 Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Awesome! That's exactly what I'll do then. I can get an STi TMIC for like $200. While we are talking about, can I spray paint an intercooler and still have it work properly?

Mike
#10 Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
I ran a 20G on an STI TMIC.
Again, yes you can do this. It is a good intercooler. When I asked my tuner about running a big 16g with it, he hesitantly said it would be fine. But why are you upgrading parts in the first place? For more power. Why upgrade parts and choose one that will limit the others? Granted you can resell an STi TMIC for what you pay, but I try not to be in the habit of buying parts twice. Get something you have room to grow in.

Can you run a 18 or 20g with an STi TMIC? Sure. Do you want to actually see the potential of a bigger turbo? Then don't...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#11 Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Can you run a 18 or 20g with an STi TMIC? Sure. Do you want to actually see the potential of a bigger turbo? Then don't...
Ok fair enough. It's just very depressing because I won't be able to afford a good TMIC for awhile.

Mike
#12 Old 08-02-2010, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
TurboXS makes a pretty good TMIC from what I've heard about it from Josh. I run the discontinued Perrin TMIC. APS and Sparco make good TMICs....but they're pricey.
For some reason, JSC Speed says the TurboXS won't work on a STI. Not sure why...but, it sounds pretty simular to the Perrin TMIC.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
probably because the angle of the throttle body on the STi is just a little bit different than the WRX

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
For me, I chose the sti tmic b/c it was pretty cheap, I knew it would fit, and I could get a splitter to match to it. I think having good airflow is just as important as having a big surface area.

I won't ever be near 350whp, so the sti tmic should do just fine.

How did you guys with the big tmic's get a splitter to match up? I've seen some people use garage weather stripping.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#15 Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I do run the TurboXS TMIC, as Kirt mentioned. Quality piece, I didnt have one issue with fitment/installation. And it compliments my 20G wonderfully. As far as the splitter "issue" goes, Im not running anything on mine atm (or for the past 2yrs now also). I have wanted to fashion one out of sheetmetal, just never had the time (and now dont have anything to go off being in araq atm).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"