Subaru WRX Forum banner

Dry Ice on the Intercooler? Would this really work?

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
I put dry ice on my intercooler, does this actually give you any additional horsepower? I wouldnt think that it would make much of a difference since the hot air would probly melt anything it touches anyway. Besides, aren't you supposed to use gloves when handling that stuff?
The bad thing is, on his first run he snapped his tranny. I was wondering if this had something do do with the dry ice intercooler, but who knows....

Video - Dry Ice Intercooler on FullSolo

#2 ·
Why wouldn't it? It's the same idea as running a nitrous or propane fogger on your intercooler, the idea is keep the intercooler colder so it cools the hot turbo air before it goes into the engine. Of course it's going to melt, but taking excess temps out of the engine bay and sucking heat off the intercooler as it does.

The link failed, but the additional couple horse from dry ice probably wasn't what did in a tranny.

#4 ·
The fogger systems claim up to 50 at the wheels, I'd be very surprised to see half that by simply setting dry ice on it when a fogger sprays the fins and all. Pulling numbers out of the air... 5 or less? But I'd do it at the track.

#5 ·
Yea it would definetely help. Ive seen some people also put some on the intake manifold in between passes or runs.

I had a friend that had a Co2 fire extinguisher that he would spray on the intercooler between a 1/4 mile pass. I did it a few times on my bugeye as well. You do feel a slight difference.

Butt Dyno Approved!!!

(although it would probably be a little safer or better if you had a map for a cooled intercooler.)

#7 ·
If it's a busy night at the track, I won't bother. But if I know I'm getting multiple runs in without having to wait in line too long, I'll dry ice the intercooler between and during runs. Does it help? It's hard to say. I've monitored my Intake Temps with and without it and there's almost no difference at idle. However, once you start moving and letting the intercooler pass air through, temps do drop a little quicker than usual. It certainly can't hurt... Just use dry ice pellets to allow air to pass through, don't use a slab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.