Drop in air filters - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wilks132 is an unknown
Drop in air filters

Ok, so i scratched the intake idea for now..... Im going to instead install a silencer delete from fastwrx.com and put a new drop in filter in. Which is the best to go with? I have found the Perrin foam filters, a K&N filter and an STI filter. The STI being the most expensive. Anyone used any of these filters ot are they pretty much all the same? I also found an induction cover made by Blitz that replaces only the top half of the air box, kind of the best of both worlds. However, I dont know if you can use other filter brands with it or if it even worth installing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a k&n, they are all very close in the amount of proformance they provide.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a k&n in mine too, just make sure you get those tiny plastic nibs back in the slots before you secure the metal clips... for some reason, mine was a little hard to get in there, but if you encourage it with a screwdriver or something, the cover will pop right back on.
#4 Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Erlend is an unknown
I just shaved a tiny bit off the moulding of the K&N and it slid right in. You could do either I guess. I just never liked forcing something to go where it doesn't want too. If you look at the stock filter and the K&N the sealing lip is way thick on the K&N. I just shaved it down a tad right where the clips are. Still seals awesome and requires no forcing on the airbox.
#5 Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

fitwagun is an unknown
sti part are mostly for the name. the decals are like 40.00! k&n all the way.
#6 Old 06-16-2007, 12:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

king723 is an unknown
I have a k&n with the silencer delete..I was using the perrin filter for awhile but switched to the k&n and noticed more power. Not that its important but the bov is a little louder too..
#7 Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

king723 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I have a k&n in mine too, just make sure you get those tiny plastic nibs back in the slots before you secure the metal clips... for some reason, mine was a little hard to get in there, but if you encourage it with a screwdriver or something, the cover will pop right back on.

haha yeah thats always a pain in the ass and it sounds like shit if you forget to secure it properly..the worst are on the 2.5 n/a on outbacks those are a bitch to get sometimes.
#8 Old 06-16-2007, 04:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
if you really want to hear the turbo and bov get a cai.... and catless dp.... and for those who say that they will make your car run lean it doesnt i have mine for over 5000 miles.... i had my car out at the drag strip on wensday and was in the low 9s high 8s(1/8th mile) but it was cool drivin around with a 8.8 dial in time on my car!!!! got a lot of looks....
#9 Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWRX View Post
if you really want to hear the turbo and bov get a cai.... and catless dp.... and for those who say that they will make your car run lean it doesnt i have mine for over 5000 miles...
You mean the thousand of proffesional tuners that have logged the problem first hand?Are you just assuming your not running lean because you don't have a CEL or because you have actually logged the car using a wideband?You might want to do alittle more research on why the intakes do cause problems.It is far from just speculation..... CAI are the worst cause of any intake problems because of the turbulence they create.At high airflow and openloop mapping is where the lean condition generally arises.Not every intake causes problems but CAI cause 90% of them.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223
http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wilks132 is an unknown
Thanks for the replies.. I am going to drop in a K&N and use the GP Moto silencer delete and get the SPT CBE. I might get the SPT intake only becasue its a short ram and not a CAI becasue everyone says they are bad. I will however, put the car on a dyno before and after every mod. I will post the results. I live in Wilmington, DE anyone know of an AWD dyno in the area??
#11 Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

fitwagun is an unknown
cold air or short ram it doesnt solve the turbulance problem.. spt claims to have found the right location for the o2 sensor but im guna wait...
#12 Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilks132 View Post
I live in Wilmington, DE anyone know of an AWD dyno in the area??
http://www.stealth316.com/2-awddynos.htm i always post this for everyone looking for a dyno, see if it helps.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#13 Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

bxwrx3 is an unknown
with an upgraded panel filter can you hear the turbo spool up like you would with an intake?
#14 Old 07-01-2007, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
You mean the thousand of proffesional tuners that have logged the problem first hand?Are you just assuming your not running lean because you don't have a CEL or because you have actually logged the car using a wideband?You might want to do alittle more research on why the intakes do cause problems.It is far from just speculation..... CAI are the worst cause of any intake problems because of the turbulence they create.At high airflow and openloop mapping is where the lean condition generally arises.Not every intake causes problems but CAI cause 90% of them.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223
http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/
nope im sayin a few say that