• 2 Post By boo-key bear
  • 1 Post By pbarrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

pbarrd is an unknown
Garage
Dowpipe + AP ??

Hey i'm about to purchase an CoBB v3 access port and i was just wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions on the kind of down pipe that goes best with the AP. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Just get a 3" bellmouth or divorced wastegate catted one and you will be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LW_Black4 and arewmors like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 05-12-2014, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
+1 ^
COBB's engine tunes that come with that device are referred to as 'off the shelf'/OTS maps are designed to work with a downpipe that has a cat, with less headaches than dealing with the Check Engine Light (CEL) from a cat-less downpipe.

What car are you putting this on?

I've read that divorced wastegate downpipes offer better performance potential, but a custom engine tune is required to take advantage of it. I just bought a divorced downpipe with a cat and had no CELs and no issues with the OTS maps.

For best results get a cat-back exhaust that works with the catted downpipe and you will have no issues.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 05-13-2014 at 07:11 AM.
#4 Old 05-12-2014, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

pbarrd is an unknown
Garage
I was looking at the cobb tunning catted dp w/ bell mouth I imagine that will be a worthwhile combo.
LW_Black4 likes this.
#5 Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Has anyone actually had a CEL pop on from having a catless DP? I keep seeing people warn about it. Every thread I see that has a catless DP, myself included, has not reported issues with the OTS maps with a catless DP. Now I am sure there are people that have had CEL's but it was probably more due to things like the a bad o2 that was probably at the end of its life span already.

I get to go on the side of caution. But if there is no issue why have a cat.

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#6 Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
Has anyone actually had a CEL pop on from having a catless DP? I keep seeing people warn about it. Every thread I see that has a catless DP, myself included, has not reported issues with the OTS maps with a catless DP. Now I am sure there are people that have had CEL's but it was probably more due to things like the a bad o2 that was probably at the end of its life span already.

I get to go on the side of caution. But if there is no issue why have a cat.
The problem is not an O2 inefficiency CEL (which is disabled), it's overboost caused by the lack of cat.
#7 Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
In California we are required by the state to have a catted exhaust, OE can also only be replaced if it is faulty and only with OE replacement, if we want to be all legal and what not. If you plan on driving offroad ; ) then the Cobb catted DP is a great option, I really like their quality control and the visual quality of their welds reminds me of the old cannondale mountain bike days.

As far as the cat vs catless debate, you will probably fail visual inspection at a smog station either way but you have an infinitely better chance of passing a sniffer test with the cat ( assuming your OK with breaking the rules and the inspector doesn't look too hard for aftermarket pipes). That combined with the threat of boost creep ill take a nice catted DP any day : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#8 Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Cobb's catted downpipe is not still not technically legal as it's a high flow cat (not OE-replacement) and still deletes the rear cat. This applies for any state, not just CA. Cobb's downpipe is not CARB certified either as there are no CARB certified aftermarket downpipes. That being said, in most shops in the US all they are looking for in inspections are a cat period so you are likely to get away with it. Not in CA though.

I personally wouldn't run Cobb's OTS maps anyways. Custom tuning or nothing IMO.
#9 Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
Has anyone actually had a CEL pop on from having a catless DP?
Raises hand.....me, me, me!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

Last edited by boo-key bear; 05-13-2014 at 09:14 PM.
#10 Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I got a cat deficiency CEL when up installed a cat-less up-pipe - which we didn't expect. Then I bought a downpipe with a cat to avoid this issue with the DP.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
#11 Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
I got a cat deficiency CEL when up installed a cat-less up-pipe - which we didn't expect. Then I bought a downpipe with a cat to avoid this issue with the DP.
You shouldn't get a cat inefficiency code with a catless up-pipe, you get P0546. That's an EGT code. Fixed with a $.05 resistor and 3 inches of electrical tape unless you get a custom tune which can delete it. If you get a front O2 sensor (which is in the header) code, something is wrong with the sensor.

FWIW, Cobb's OTS tunes disable the rear O2 sensor code and having a high flow catted downpipe does not mean you won't get a CEL if it's not disabled nor does having a catless one mean you will get the code. *shrug*
#12 Old 05-15-2014, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

onethirtyeight is an unknown
Just had my up-pipe and catless downpipe installed yesterday, flashed a OTS stage 2 map and no codes! I loaded the stage 2 ACN map because it was on the accessport from the previous owner not realizing that it is a lower performace map. I didn't run the car too hard last night because it was raining its ass off but it pulled really good and I hit around 16.5 lbs of boost. I loaded the normal stage 2 map, the HWG and LWG maps to the access for last night and going to try those out too. I love hearing the turbo and had no need to turn on my radio because it was music to my ears.

2002 WRX Wagon-Up-pipe, Invidia Catless Bellmouth Downpipe, Stage 2 OTS, Jack-n-the box antenna ball
#13 Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethirtyeight View Post
Just had my up-pipe and catless downpipe installed yesterday, flashed a OTS stage 2 map and no codes! I loaded the stage 2 ACN map because it was on the accessport from the previous owner not realizing that it is a lower performace map. I didn't run the car too hard last night because it was raining its ass off but it pulled really good and I hit around 16.5 lbs of boost. I loaded the normal stage 2 map, the HWG and LWG maps to the access for last night and going to try those out too. I love hearing the turbo and had no need to turn on my radio because it was music to my ears.
Same here no issues. Was the CEL issue from previous versions of the Cobb AP only?

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#14 Old 05-15-2014, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Congratulations! Nice to hear you're enjoying the new power.

You can create a datalog with a short acceleration run and share it with other enthusiasts to confirm that there are no issues.

Also the V3 AP has a facility for recording your 0-60 mph time. Do this on a flat road without any traffic and beforwarned that launching your card hard from a start for maximum acceleration is hard on it.

This is what I got out of my first Stage 1 datalog:

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX