Downpipe ? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

littlec5103 is an unknown
Downpipe ?

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but couldn't seem to get a clear answer on this while looking through the threads.

What DP is best for 06 WRX? I will be getting the DP before the rest of the exhaust.
Also I was looking at invidia's DP, and they have a divorced WG version. What's the divorced WG for, and is it something I might want??
Thanks for the help!!!

side note: Got my AP a week ago and love it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Pretty sure the divorced wastegate is to help it flow better. Some will say don't buy cheap. Others say its just a metal pipe. I personally will be getting an invidia on my next car. I would say it depends a lot on the climate in your area. I don't live in a coastal climate so i don't have rust to worry about so i went cheap and havent had any issues at all. More money dp usually means better fitting ones...i guess i got lucky on that as well bc i had mine installed in about 15 mins with no fiment probs what so ever. Its up to you.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 08-26-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A COBB catted DP....

/thread

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #4 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Invidia bellmouth

/thread /thread lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #5 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I thought it was best to get a non catted DP? Is it better to get the Invidia with or without the divorced WG?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ever plan on upgrading the turbo? If yes....get it without the divorced section. Technically without a CAT is better, but it pollutes more, and sometimes you leave behind a cloud of unburnt fuel. Its gross if you are the car behind someone without a CAT. Plus, you might net 5 hp or less without....its all in personal preference.

The divorce part is suppost to divorce your internally gated wastegate gases and your normal exhaust. Its suppost to help your turbo perform better, but its not a flawless design and the gases are not always 100 seperated. The divorced seperator is made to fit the stock turbo. When you upgrade your turbo some people have had the metal tab that seperates the gases hit their wastegate and not allow it to fully open. Meaning it restricts you from getting all you could out of the turbo...which most people cut it off at that point. Save the hassle and go bellmouth.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Good info kirt. I didn't know that about the divorced wg dp. Now i do and i have changed my mind on wanting one, as my next car will go far beyond stage 2. Thanks for that!!

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Great! Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
post #9 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
That what forums are about...sharing knowledge. The last person on here that did that was BoostAddict a.k.a. Vim....who got banned. But, his upgraded turbo was hitting the divorced downpipes metal tab and killed his performance. His tuner diagnosised it as the wastegate was hitting the metal seperator tab that was in his divorced downpipe. They cut it and viola! More power!! (Is having a Home Improvement image of Tim Allen in his head. lol)

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #10 of 11 Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I've never been convinced the "divorced" downpipes with that plate in the middle help anything. THe bellmouth may merge the streams earlier but it also does it where the pipe is widest. If you merge in streams further down, you have less pipe to work with. A true divorced wastegate pipe will run separate piping from the wastegate till after the final bend unitl it's basically a straight shot to the tailpipe and then merge. These half-assed things I call 'split bellmouth downpipes' don't deserve the word divorced and may actually be inferior to a regular bellmouth on the stock turbo let alone something else.

In all likelihood though, the split bellmouth and regular bellmouth are probably equivalent.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Roman777 is an unknown
Grimmspeed Dp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement