Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Downpipe ? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/downpipe-31242/)

littlec5103 08-26-2011 07:07 AM

Downpipe ?

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but couldn't seem to get a clear answer on this while looking through the threads.

What DP is best for 06 WRX? I will be getting the DP before the rest of the exhaust.
Also I was looking at invidia's DP, and they have a divorced WG version. What's the divorced WG for, and is it something I might want??
Thanks for the help!!!

side note: Got my AP a week ago and love it!!!

bad grocerygetter 08-26-2011 07:59 AM

Pretty sure the divorced wastegate is to help it flow better. Some will say don't buy cheap. Others say its just a metal pipe. I personally will be getting an invidia on my next car. I would say it depends a lot on the climate in your area. I don't live in a coastal climate so i don't have rust to worry about so i went cheap and havent had any issues at all. More money dp usually means better fitting ones...i guess i got lucky on that as well bc i had mine installed in about 15 mins with no fiment probs what so ever. Its up to you.

pzr2874 08-26-2011 10:39 AM

A COBB catted DP....

/thread

psinuse 08-26-2011 03:13 PM

Invidia bellmouth

/thread /thread lol

littlec5103 08-26-2011 04:48 PM

I thought it was best to get a non catted DP? Is it better to get the Invidia with or without the divorced WG?

turmic 08-26-2011 04:51 PM

Ever plan on upgrading the turbo? If yes....get it without the divorced section. Technically without a CAT is better, but it pollutes more, and sometimes you leave behind a cloud of unburnt fuel. Its gross if you are the car behind someone without a CAT. Plus, you might net 5 hp or less without....its all in personal preference.

The divorce part is suppost to divorce your internally gated wastegate gases and your normal exhaust. Its suppost to help your turbo perform better, but its not a flawless design and the gases are not always 100 seperated. The divorced seperator is made to fit the stock turbo. When you upgrade your turbo some people have had the metal tab that seperates the gases hit their wastegate and not allow it to fully open. Meaning it restricts you from getting all you could out of the turbo...which most people cut it off at that point. Save the hassle and go bellmouth.

bad grocerygetter 08-26-2011 09:44 PM

Good info kirt. I didn't know that about the divorced wg dp. Now i do and i have changed my mind on wanting one, as my next car will go far beyond stage 2. Thanks for that!! :)

littlec5103 08-27-2011 07:59 AM

Great! Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

turmic 08-27-2011 06:10 PM

That what forums are about...sharing knowledge. The last person on here that did that was BoostAddict a.k.a. Vim....who got banned. But, his upgraded turbo was hitting the divorced downpipes metal tab and killed his performance. His tuner diagnosised it as the wastegate was hitting the metal seperator tab that was in his divorced downpipe. They cut it and viola! More power!! (Is having a Home Improvement image of Tim Allen in his head. lol)

mosc 08-28-2011 04:37 AM

I've never been convinced the "divorced" downpipes with that plate in the middle help anything. THe bellmouth may merge the streams earlier but it also does it where the pipe is widest. If you merge in streams further down, you have less pipe to work with. A true divorced wastegate pipe will run separate piping from the wastegate till after the final bend unitl it's basically a straight shot to the tailpipe and then merge. These half-assed things I call 'split bellmouth downpipes' don't deserve the word divorced and may actually be inferior to a regular bellmouth on the stock turbo let alone something else.

In all likelihood though, the split bellmouth and regular bellmouth are probably equivalent.

Roman777 12-11-2011 04:31 PM

Grimmspeed Dp!