downpipe? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

clipsy is an unknown
downpipe?

I have a 06 wrx with a Invidia racing cat back i want to buy a downpipe but i dont know which one to buy. I read alot about boost creep on some dp so can anyone guide me into buying the right dp. thnks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a Cobb catted downpipe and a Cobb turbo heat shield on my 07 WRX. Cobb's forged bellmouth is an excellent design. Unlike other 3" downpipes that have simply been stretched to fit the 4" oval opening behind the turbo, Cobb's forged bellmouth piece has much thicker walls. This will keep more heat inside which means your exhaust gas flow will be a little bit better and that's pretty much why you want to upgrade your downpipe in the first place. It will also keep a little less noise from entering your cabin which can be a good thing on longer road trips. The pipe is stainless steel so it will last a long time. You will be able to hear your turbo, wastegate, and bypass valve in action if you want to hear all those signature turbocharged vehicle sounds. It is designed to use either the factory-style donut gasket (so you could use the stock cat back if you wanted to) or a 3" 2 bolt flat gasket that comes with many aftermarket cat backs. The high flow catalytic converter helps with boost spike/creep issues with the 2.5 L engines and only takes away maybe 1-3 horsepower, if that, plus it's better for the environment. I experienced absolutely no fitment issues. It's lighter in weight than the stock downpipe. There is a hole near the back of the pipe for the factory O2 sensor as well as another hole with a plug in it near the top of the bellmouth for easy access during a protune. The only downsides I saw were the expensive price (most places advertise it for $595), the slight taper at the end of it to 2.5" (to accomodate the stock cat back if you choose to use that), and the fact that you can't reuse the stock turbo heat shield unless you cut it (you're pretty much forced to buy an aftermarket heat shield or cut your stock one, but this is the case with almost all larger aftermarket downpipes). There are many other less expensive brands, but from everything I've read, the Cobb seems to be one of the best. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend the Cobb catted downpipe for your car.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

96accord is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 96accord Send a message via Yahoo to 96accord
Invidia V2 Bellmouth Catless DP!!

You will be fine as long as you have an AP
#4 Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
As long as the DP is bellmouth and you have EM you will be fine.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
i have and 04 sti and i want to get a catted downpipe but my prob is i have a vf22 turbo on it and the cobb accessport is for the stock turbo and i cant find any flashes that are for bigger turbos i dont hve alot of money what are my options
#6 Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sorry to say but sounds like your only option is to save up for a tune then. Unless you can find someone that knows how to use opensourse and can help you out.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
how much does a tune usally run
#8 Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 PM

I believe they run around $300-400. If you have the ability to data log the car you might be able to get a tune from a guy that can do them over the internet. The site is getadomtune.com. Several people on here have experience with him and swear by him.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
I swear by Dom, he's easy to work with and does a heck of a job tuning my car which is across the country. 45 bucks for a basemap and 1week or tuning, or 60 + 1 month of tuning. You need to be able to datalog, so a tactrix cable + access to a laptop is a must. the cable plus say a week of tuning would run you about 140.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#10 Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipsy View Post
I have a 06 wrx with a Invidia racing cat back i want to buy a downpipe but i dont know which one to buy. I read alot about boost creep on some dp so can anyone guide me into buying the right dp. thnks

There was a COBB catted DP a day or two ago on eBay, used, but onlt 200.00..... Keep an eye out there as well.
#11 Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

vagrantidol is an unknown
I just bolted up my cobb catted dp on saturday and flashed with xpt stage 2 and man is it nice! Sooo much more and better delivered power. I used cobb's heatshield too, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I paid more money, but I have already learned the hardway by buying cheap stuff. It's easier to just save my money and do it right the first time. I'm not saying cheaper dp's aren't as good, but usually the more expensive product is more expensive because there is better manufacturing and quality control involved, something to think about. I would recommend the cobb though, and I am glad i went opensource over the AP, saved myself $530 because I already had a laptop.
#12 Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

thebear is an unknown
does it really matter what kind of down pipe u get? as long as its bellmouth and catless. stainless stell. ### i see ones for liek 500 then 100 what the hell is the difference?
#13 Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

clipsy is an unknown
what does AP and EM stand for
#14 Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
does it really matter what kind of down pipe u get? as long as its bellmouth and catless. stainless stell. ### i see ones for liek 500 then 100 what the hell is the difference?
Tons of people have used ebay DPs ($150-200) and havent had a problem with them. The difference between an ebay DP and a name brand ($300-500+) is obviously the name, but also the craftsmenship of the pipe. Then if you want a catted DP its another 100 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipsy
what does AP and EM stand for
AP=Cobb's Accessport
EM= Engine Management

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#15 Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
what do people think of the helix catted downpipe i just purchased brand new for 330 dollars