Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cracked airbox

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
I was doing my routine K&N cleaning and cracked the tabs on the end of the airbox, that sucked. Anyways, was thinking of getting the SRI and airbox from COBB. Any past or future buyers have any words on them ? Don't want to get another OEM one if COBB has theirs and drops intake temps and all that.

#3 · (Edited)
Per their research: Taken from their website. This is including the SRI they sell as well. 250.00 for everything. Not too bad.

Highway Driving:

COBB Intake no box: Max 124 degrees F, Avg. 91.6 degrees F
COBB Intake with box: Max 108 degrees F, Avg. 74.9 degrees F
Difference of: Max ~16 degrees F, Avg. ~16.7 degees F

City Driving:

COBB Intake no box: Max 149 degrees F, Avg. 117.4 degrees F
COBB Intake with box: Max 111 degrees F, Avg. 87.5 degrees F
Difference of: Max ~38 degrees F, Avg. ~29.9 degrees F

Idle (~5 mins):

COBB Intake no box: Max 149 degrees F, Avg. 133.5 degrees F
COBB Intake with box: Max 113 degrees F, Avg. 99.2 degrees F
Difference of: Max ~36 degrees F, Avg. ~34.3 degrees F

Add a Perrin TI, might do down a little more. It's getting fookin hot here. My tyres are melting to the asphalt

#5 ·
i thought about getting that intake setup along with a velocity stack attached to the hole that enters it along the firewall. still stuck on that setup or the APS CAI, these of course when i'm ready to tune for stage 2. blah blah about the 300 whp on stocker. lol

#6 ·
No, I don't know the stock airbox intake temps. Wish I did. Maybe I will call COBB to see if they have those #'s. I would imagine the COBB intake would be a little cooler than stock, wouldn't be much of a point to buy the intake if all it did was whoosh and all that jazz. Will keep y'all posted.:yawn:

#8 ·
ok, spoke to COBB. He stated 1-4 degree difference from the stck airbox. :notgood:

A little lighter maybe. Good thing is that I would need all that at one point after I get a bigger turbo anyways, not gonna do me much good right now though.

#12 ·
True, where have you seen it sold at ? The dealer ? Delivered from is about 275.00. I like COBB name a bit more, but having the subaru appoval is good as well. Sell me on it Mosc. Install easier ? You have the SPT, don't you ?

#13 ·
Sell you on it? Do I get a commission or something? They're both excellent products and you're a big boy. I'm not going to ban you from the halls of wrxtuners if you disagree with me. I may even take a more neutral position between the two products if people start actively preferring the Cobb more around here.

Besides, the filter color alone should be enough. Who the hell cares about performance if you have a bright yellow foam dome under your hood?

EDIT: you want a sell I'll give you a sell: I'd rather have not bought either and saved the money cause they don't do jack.

#14 ·
Ban me... yur a freak...ROFL

Don't you have the SPT ? If I can do anything to cool the intake charge a little, lighten the car, cool the engine bay off a little (I'll do it) Not to say a SRI will do all of this.

That's why I post questions, to get some sort of idea as to what ppl have done, are doing, what works/doesn't work, etc.....

Mosc,
Grab a beer. Yur too uptight.

Thanx for the assistance you have always given. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.