Subaru WRX Forum banner

Coolant problem?

16K views 62 replies 8 participants last post by  06_hawk_eye 
#1 ·
Okay so I filled the resavoir up to the low line and ran it for about a week. Then one day while driving to red robin I noticed coolant leaking from under the car. Popped the hood and it was coming from the resavoir tank next to the radiator. So I drained the resavoir and topped off the little one next to the turbo. Well today I popped the hood and noticed time bubbles about a nickel in size coming from in the resavoir. I have a video ican text it to some people if they wanna see it. Not sure what is going on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Have you screwed with it lately? other than last week? Change the oil as of late?

That could be anything with that car (hoses, tank, radiator,... and well)..... let it cool and add a ton of water, start it and put it up on ramps and have a look.... not much more you can do.

#8 ·
The radiator is full and the other tank is full the one by the turbo. Both are full once is cools down. Just went out now and the coolant is no longer high in the resavoir. Checked for leaks at the headgaskets the other day when it was on the lift.no signs of leaking. Will be doing a hydrocarbon test tommorow and a pressure test as well. Something is pointing me towards one of the caps either the one on radiator or the one on the resavoir on the turbo. Question. Being will a stock oem radiator cap for my mishimoto aluminum rad. More test to come tommorow ill post results then.

#9 ·
park it up on ramps overnight and let it cool..... get yur ass under there and have a look.

Don't do a dye test yet.... if it's NOT the issue you will need to get all that shit out of the system

#18 ·
Okay went to pep boys and grabbed a cooling system pressure test kit. Before I did this I noticed that the mishi cap on the rad is 19lbs while the cap on the little resavoir is 15lbs. Could this be a problem? When I tested thru the rad cap it wouldn't let me go above 17lbs. It would just shoot out the rad cap area. Put the rad cap back on and tested thru the litte one at 15lbs and when I go above 15lbs I get those bubbles in the resavoir. So could the problem be that since there is 2 different lb caps it doesn't know which one to keep the pressure at.

#25 ·
Gotta be just trapped air. You can get a lot of that especially after installing a new radiator. It takes a while to get air out and coolant in all those cracks and crevices. Burp drink a beer and repeat many times. When you think you got it all start back at step one....Burp, beer, repeat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.