Cobb SS CBE install review - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wilks132 is an unknown
Cobb SS CBE install review

So today me and my brother installed a gently used Cobb SS CBE on my 07 WRX, and this is my overall review of the product as well as the install.
I bought the CBE from a guy about 40 minutes from me for $300.00. The exhaust has about 8000 miles through it (pics below)
The total install time was about 45 minutes (first timer). First we used a floor jack and jacked the rear of the car up by the rear differential. We then placed the jack stand under the car and lowered it down onto the jacks. The car was probably about a foot off the ground. I then used silicone spray and soaked all the rubber exhaust hangers. After a 5 minute soak, I removed the exhaust from the hangers (this made it alot easier since it was still bolted to the DP. I then removed the bolts and springs that held the exhaust to the DP and lowered the entire exhaust to the ground and out through the rear of the car. While on the ground, i seperated the OEM midpipe and axle back (i needed the two bolts that hold the two together) With the OEM exhaust removed, i started preping my new flat gasket for between the midpipe and axle back. I used the OEM doughnut gasket for the DP/midpipe connection. The flat gasket i bought from NAPA auto parts and fit the bolt hole locations and shape of the flanges perfectly. However, it was a 2 1/2 hole instead of three. I simply used a razor blade and scissors to correct the problem. Then using the newly modified gasket, bolted the Cobb midpipe and axleback together while on the floor. Note. if you dont do this, you will not have room to tightnen the one bolt that connects the midpipe and axleback together. Once together, we lifted then entire exhaust up and onto the rubber hangers. I then replaced the springs and bolts that hold the DP and midpipe together with the doughnut gasket already in place. The bolts were tightened and VIOLA! new CBE.
As for the product, even though it was used, Cobb makes a great product. The materials they use are top notch and every thing fit perfectly as if it were OEM. The tone of the exhaust is awesome. At first, I thought it to be to quiet. However, after a 15 minute trip on the highway with no droning it was perfect. Around the city 1st, 2nd and, 3rd have a deep rumble at 2500-3500 rpms and it turns heads. I have the Cobb DP on reder as well as a NEW AP. So when they arrive and i install them, I will be sure to post a review of my experiences.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-26-2007, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
cool, glad to hear ## happy with it, just add a downpipe and a panel filter and flash stage 2.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 3 Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Novtec1 is more helpful than not
same exhaust the wife has on her bugeye, she loves it

07 UGM STI
07 WRB FORESTER XT <--WIFES
03 SY WRX <--THE DD