Subaru WRX Forum banner

cobb bpv

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
My boy and I are working on a wrecked 04 WRX. We are buying a new shortblock with associated parts (new oil cooler, pan, pickup, etc).

He has been undoing the spider web of stereo wires and such, and found a hose under the dash that leads right to a T on the Cobb bpv the guy added.

I dont think I should be running a cobb bpv of any kind with a stock rebuild and a stock tune, I wonder if that is what blew this engine in first place (has piston slap and spun rod bearing(s))

What is this hose for? I am thinking I should definately source a stock bypass valve?

#3 ·
The BPV shouldn't have caused those issues if it was installed properly (no leaks, full recirc). They are one of the few parts you can add without tuning of any kind as long as you keep the plate on to keep fully recirculating the vented gasses.

I agree with Boo-key on the extra hose. I would honestly guess that the spun rod and piston slap was caused by either a bad tune or very aggressive tune and hard driving.

I would suggest keeping the Cobb BPV and saving your money for other things you may find.

#4 ·
the BOV is fine as long as its a recirculating model. it probably would not cause a motor failure. it is venting BOV's that cause problems.

that T piece would have gone to a boost gauge. just cap it and zip-tie it, or replace the hose completely. save your cash for other thigns.

also, a side note: never re-use gaskets even if anyone says it is ok to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.