Check out my upgrade list and give me your opinion! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-05-2004, 02:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

MikeS is an unknown
Check out my upgrade list and give me your opinion!

These are some future mods im researching..Tell me what you think!
(04 STi)

-Turbo XS Utec w/ remote and MAF delete (I will tweak with the provided maps until the ranges are optimal for each application)
-Turbo XS FMIC
-HKS SSQV BOV
-XS Engineering 500+ hp Turbo kit (adjusted and modified for my application)
-centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate
-lightened crank pulley with O.E.M diameter
-Turbo XS turbo back exhaust w/ high flow cat
-Custom down pipe fabbed by me for perfect fit and flow
-800cc injectors w/ 255lph pump and adj. regulator
-new fuel rail
-short ram intake fabbed by me
-Turbo timer
-Short throw shifter
-Custom cryo intercooler sprayer using factory solenoids and switch.
-electronic dampening control with tein coilovers

Thats it so far.. Looking for 450+ hp at the wheels..Eventually when i have time i want to pull the heads off and match port the intake manifold and do some porting to the heads.. Any input appreciated!!You can get into detail as well if you want, i am a tech (going to UTI to further my knowledge) but have a pretty advanced foundation on theory..
Thanks!
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2004, 03:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
All those mods to a sti seems foolish, turned a good road track car into a drag car, only problem is the close ratio 6spd is killin you.
You be better off with a 5spd and a good set of prodrive drag ratio gears, or the best would be a drag ratio dog box, something with a 2.90 to a 2.85 first gear.
Your idea of doing head work is good, the stock heads don't flow to good, good set of cams and head work will make a huge diff, specialy at rpms over 7,500rpm, but gonna need more then a match port.
Good luck.
#3 Old 04-28-2004, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

speedywrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to speedywrx
IF you want to have a 450hp car, I would not recomend the TXS FMIC. Hyperflow made a bad core and TXS does not carry it anymore. I would recomend something like the Perring or APS Frontmount. Both work great and will do the job extremely well. And to save the extra money, The TXS downpipe is already great so you dont need to fab a new one, its not worth buying the TBE and ditching the downpipe because the downpipe works great.
#4 Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
You said hyperflow made bad cores for the TXS IC's, but what about the older TXS TMIC, I am looking to buy one used off a local guy, actually REXRONALD on here, and I want to make sure it will still be ok.
#5 Old 04-28-2004, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

boostin is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by wrxratedII
All those mods to a sti seems foolish, turned a good road track car into a drag car, only problem is the close ratio 6spd is killin you.
You be better off with a 5spd and a good set of prodrive drag ratio gears, or the best would be a drag ratio dog box, something with a 2.90 to a 2.85 first gear.
Your idea of doing head work is good, the stock heads don't flow to good, good set of cams and head work will make a huge diff, specialy at rpms over 7,500rpm, but gonna need more then a match port.
Good luck.

Explain how the STi six speed is bad? I think it would work great with that setup. Also, when is that STi going above 7500 RPM? With the right tuning that car could still dominate in road racing. What makes you think he is only tuning it for drag racing? It looks like he will be having a well handling car with that Tein system. I think the mod list looks good and i'm excited to see how it all works.

Boostin
#6 Old 04-28-2004, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
The reason i think the car is tuned for drag racing is his turbo choice, there is no turbo thats gonna support 500hp and spool under 4,000rpms, and with cams that sign off at 7,000rpm, that power band is to narrow for anything other then drag racing.
The second issue is the tein suspension on the sti doesnt work as well as the stock stuff, I have tested the tein flex, and the hg, both have to small shock shaft, they flex and the tire rolls over, even with 3.5 deg negative camber i could not stop the side walls from wearing, and with the stock kyb's i can! Well at least untill the shaft bushings wear out.
As for the 6spd, the ratios are to close and first is to low, 3.45 first gear is way to low for a motor supporting 400hp.
my 02 wrx with a sti 6spd with a group n gear ratio 3.0 first, pulled 1.7's 60fts, 11.20's at 120's, with a 5spd and drag gears, 2.88 first, and a cusco center diff, ran 1.48 60fts and ran 10.30's at 130's, thats what makes me say the 6spd doesnt work, turbo cars work better with wide ratio gears for drag, utilize the long torque curve and eliminating a gear change.
#7 Old 04-29-2004, 03:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

boostin is an unknown
You also gotta remember that with the 2.5 liter he will be able to get quicker spool up with a bigger turbo than the 2.0 liter. I've seen Evo's with 450 whp doing well on road courses. But they are also a slightly better handling car. I think with the setup MikeS is going to use he will not dominate in one category but do well in everything. I guess time will tell.

Boostin
#8 Old 04-29-2004, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
My wrx is a ej207 block sleeved and stroked to a 2.7 liter motor, little bigger then a ej25t motor.
Another thing you have to relize is a 4g63 motor is a 88mm stroke stock, the ej25 is much shorter stroke and typically makes torque at a higher rpm. So now the ej25 has two things to over come!
#9 Old 04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
As with everything there is a tradeoff. If it is a longer stroke motor it gives up top end power for low end "grunt". Of course the turbo pretty much resolves that!
#10 Old 04-29-2004, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
as long as the piston speed doesnt get to high long stroke motors rev pretty good, the 4g63 motor revs to 7k stock, thats approx 4800fpm piston speed, thats exeptable, stock sti doesnt rev past 7k even with his mods the motor wont make any power past 7k rpm either.
Thats my point, he did alot of mods to remove lower end power and nothing to gain usable higher rpm power. The motor is gonna sign off like a brick at 7,100 rpms even with the rev limiter moved to 7800rpm.
I guess the point im trying to make is, when you do mods to add 200+ peak hp and those same mods loose over 100 average hp from 3k to 7k rpm, thats not road track usable mods, there more for drag! If he did some head and camshaft mods, i wouldnt be so negitave, then the motor could breath and rev to 8+k rpm and the usable power curve would then broaden back out.