Subaru WRX Forum banner

Change spark plugs 06 WRX

22K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can get specific instructions for changing the spark plugs in my 2006 WRX? I've searched Google but can't find any instructions specific to my year. Thanks.

#2 ·
Step by step---probably in here:Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

It's more of a pain than it is confusing. You'll have to take out your windshield wiper reservoir on the driver side, and the air box on the passenger side. I always slip in my socket into the plug port, then an extension, then my ratchet and connect them inside due to lack of clearance.

And I would get one of these, imo, EVERY garage should have one. Twist the handle either way, like back and forth, and it rotates the way you selected. http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-ROTATOR-3-8-DRIVE-RATCHET-/400145146129?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools

#3 ·
I was able to change my plugs without removing the windshield wiper reservoir - that's only an issue on the earlier (02-05?) models. If you look at it, you can definitely figure it out. On the passenger side, you'll just need to remove the intake scoop and box. On the driver's side, you'll just need to take out the battery. It will be somewhat of a squeeze to get the driver's side plug closest to the firewall out because there is very little clearance between the engine and the fender, but it can be done. Some people jack up that side of the engine slightly, but I've had success by either unclipping the wire from the coil first or sometimes you can just wiggle, twist, and/or rotate the coil and it'll come out. Do yourself a favor and get a nice flexible extension - 6-10 inches or so should do just fine. A variety of extensions and universal joints, especially locking extensions, are also helpful so the sockets don't get stuck in the block.

What kind of plugs are you going to install, btw?

Just familiarize yourself with the process using the writeups from the older cars and then look at yours and tackle it. I'm about to change my plugs on my 07 for the third time in the next week or two. It's definitely a job anybody can do with some hand tools and a few hours of spare time. Get pumped!!!

#5 ·
I was able to change my plugs without removing the windshield wiper reservoir - that's only an issue on the earlier (02-05?) models. On the driver's side, you'll just need to take out the battery.!
That's really funny, I always got by not taking out the battery and removing the reservoir, lol.
But yes, this was on my bugeye, haven't changed them on my STi yet.

#6 ·
Subaru recommends every 60k: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009

...which is fine if you use Iridium plugs (which were installed in the factory when the cars were new). Copper plugs should be changed out every other oil change or so. I choose to change my NGK Iridiums (NGK LFR6AIX-11) every 30k.

Here's some more info on that: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/man-shows-spark-plug-info-27782/

And Chase, the windshield washer fluid reservoir on the 06/07 models is pushed forward and down - right behind the driver's side headlight - so it's not an issue like it was on the earlier models. On the 06/07, there is a fuse box in that location, but it's small enough so as to not get in the way. I found that removing the battery allowed me plenty of access to both plugs on the driver's side !Thumbs Up

#7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be using the same plugs as Man Show (NGK Iridium LFR6AIX). I'm a little nervous to do this and I don't think I have all the right tools. But I need new plugs and my dealership charges like $250 to change plugs. Thanks.

#9 ·
Yeah, $250 is a bit outrageous for that job - even decent plugs are relatively inexpensive, so that's at least 200 bucks, if not more, in labor.

Before you start, make sure you have a decent and complete set of tools. The last thing you want to do is get part way into the job and realize you don't have a tool that you need and either have to put everything back together or make a run out to the local parts store in a different car to buy whatever tool you need. You'll have the tools for the rest of your life and if you keep doing jobs like this, you'll probably end up saving money in the long run.

Nice choice on plugs too, by the way !Thumbs Up

...and if you lived closer, I'd be happy to lend a hand. It's always nice having someone around who has done these things before.

Ken, the bugeye is an "earlier" model. To change the 02, 03, 04, and 05 WRX driver's side plugs, you only need to remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir. To change the driver's side plugs on 06 and 07 WRX models and 04, 05, 06, and 07 STi models, you only need to remove the battery. And you're right, it is a good idea to do a compression test while you're in there !Thumbs Up

#11 ·
For this job or in general?

For this job, you'll need a ratchet, a set of metric sockets and a variety of different length extensions (a long flexible one will help big time for the driver's side plug near the firewall) and some universal joints. Needle-nose pliers and/or a long, thin telescoping magnetic wand help if you happen to lose a socket in the engine. A spark plug socket is a nice piece to have too, or you could use a piece of rubber tubing/hose that has the same inner diameter as the back/porcelin/white part of the plugs so you can gently put the new plugs in and successfully take the old ones out. A tube of anti-sieze and dielectric grease are also good. That's pretty much it for this job.

Ideally, you should have a complete set of standard and metric sockets (regular, deep, and 3/4 length) in 1/4 in., 1/2 in., and 3/4 in. drives in both 6 point (to prevent rounding bolts) and 12 point (for the stubborn rusted bolts) and ratchets to go along with them, different adapters, a set of standard and metric wrenches - the ratcheting type are very nice, although sometimes it's just good to have regular ones, a variety of regular and Phillips screwdrivers, a few hammers, cheater bars, breaker bar, torque wrench, a variety of different kinds of pliers, a floor jack, jack stands, a dremel tool w/ a variety of bits, a drill with a variety of bits, trouble light, safety goggles, gloves, and a few other things that I forgot. On top of that, you'll need whatever specialty tools you'll end up buying along the way - I had to pick up a T-70 Torx bit, locking 3" 1/2 in. extension, an 02 sensor socket, a set of flexible extensions, an oil filter strap... the list really goes on, but that stuff should give you a pretty decent start. There's not really a single "complete" set of tools, but if you have one of every size socket from pretty small up to pretty big, that should pretty much encompass most situations you'll come across. You'll probably always end up running out for some things here and there, but if, for example, you don't have a 10 or 12 mm socket... that's something you shouldn't start the job without. Know what I mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.