BOV problems, all should read - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

GoWRXGo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to GoWRXGo Send a message via Yahoo to GoWRXGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
venting to atmosphere from inside the engine bay is ILLEGAL.
??? care to explain??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
there's no real reason for it, but that's the law. I think it was intended to address exhaust. They wanted all exhaust to come out at the edges of the car and not let it be vented somewhere internal.

You have to remember that in the 1930s, they used to sell "heaters" that were essentially routing exhaust gas into the cabin of the car. Imagine why you wouldn't want that to be legal...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#18 Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The reason because of PCV/blowby.If you vent to atmosphere it's the same as venting your PCV to atmosphere.It has to be a closed system for emmision purposes.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#19 Old 01-09-2008, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
I have the new version hks bov and a recirculating kit (although right now it's 100% atmospheric). Is the bov still going to be somewhat noticable if i hook up the recirculating kit? I really love the sound of it and don't want to get rid of it, but if it's going to help the car out more i'll put the kit on.
#20 Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

bluetaxi is an unknown
HI,
Just sign in today.

As per the BOV case it there a newer ver? as some us may get the older ver which will cause problems for the non-JDM cars? Or it is the TGV problem?
#21 Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nighthawk is an unknown
well im new to wrx's and my previous car didnt have a BOV...
im looking at buying a BOV, most likely a 50/50...
so ive read the BOV FAQ, i see theres alot of performance issues with aftermarket BOV's...
but i also herd the oem BOV or PBV if you like to call it is very restrictive! is this true?
#22 Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
get an aps dual vent......reg crusing no sound and fully recirculated.....when u get on it u get a lil of that sound

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
#23 Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
well im new to wrx's and my previous car didnt have a BOV...
im looking at buying a BOV, most likely a 50/50...
so ive read the BOV FAQ, i see theres alot of performance issues with aftermarket BOV's...
but i also herd the oem BOV or PBV if you like to call it is very restrictive! is this true?
The stock BPV is fine, it's only restrictive if you're pushing rediculous amounts of horsepower.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#24 Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The stock BPV I have read and seen it holding up to and around 20-21PSI. Some have complained it leaked, others no problems. But thats because every car is different. But like VanillaJuice said, a 50/50 is probably the best way to go. Some can even be adjusted if you wanted to mess with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#25 Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

colombian3jo is an unknown
GFB STEALTH FX

FTW

Go Fast Bits 2006
#26 Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nighthawk is an unknown
yea, i actually have the stealth fx in mind, its fully adjustable from 100% recirculating to 100% atmosphere
#27 Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
Correct me if I am wrong here but the whole problem with the vent to atmosphere BOV is that it does not allow the ECU to see the change in A/F ratio whenever the air is lost to atmosphere (since the stock location is in the inlet pluming). So relocating the MAF sensor combined with tuning should alleviate this since the ECU will see the correct A/F ratio with the correct temperature.
#28 Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

twentyclowns is an unknown
All I know is that if the kid is dumb enough to throw on an after market intake without EM and a bov for no damn reason after reading all the stuff on these forums and others then he's obv not even going to take what we all say into consideration. He asked if a bov would hurt his car and make it run crappy knowing the answer is yes but he's just hoping that someone will tell him its ok so he can keep it on without feeling stupid.
The fact is bovs are pointless unless u run more boost then the factory BPV can handle
And the fact is intakes will hurt your car without EM unless all the dimensions are the same so the MAF gets a proper reading
#29 Old 03-31-2008, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

SUPERBAD is an unknown
I Had A Bov On My Car, And It Does Is Back Fire Or Pop, Sometimes It Wasn't So Bad, But Still Sounded Like Crap. I Also Noticed When I Put It In Nuetral Coming To A Stop, It Would Almost Stall Out. I Put My Stock Recircultaing Valve Back On....and No Problems! So I Say, Stick With The Stock Item. Get A Short Ram Intake And Remove The Silencer!!

Christopher , Newbie and I Want To Learn!
#30 Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

bluetaxi is an unknown
update:
Now I hv take out the TGV in the car, & got a Forge BOV. Drive the car in fast/slow mod in all gears for ~ 250mil. It seem to hv not problem at all. Only thing is my boost can go abit higher to spike at 1.4 bar & fastter to gain a full boost @ ~ 4000 rpm (Vf35 w/ HKS actuator). Cheak the ECU logging the IAM is still stand on 16, next will cheak the AFR (may need a Dyno machine soon). After adjust the AFR target I want then will try to push for more timing in the mid rev.

So u guys can try to take out the TGV flaps (total 4 pc) to see if the problem go away?? all in all loce this Forge BOV as it give me fastter turbo spool. & the sound is not that loud as vs the SQV under 3500 rpm.