BOV problems, all should read - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Phazewun is an unknown
BOV problems, all should read

So tonight i went and picked up a HKS ssqv BOV. < vent to atmosphere >

Last week i did my HKS exhaust and injen intake < short ram >

I must say im VERY disapointed in the BOV, after i put it on and took it for its test drive it almost seemed like at around 4k rpm everything would lag out and i would have almost 0 power. < first gear was fine but everything past that was just terrible >

Now this is my question if i was to finish the BOV with getting the recirlating < edit spelling > adapter and such for the HKS would it perform like the stock one just with the new bov sound ? if it doesnt im thinking about putting it up on ebay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for a newer scooby like myself =)

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
Ok....I'm going to say this as nicely as possible, BOVs are very very very very very well known to make WRX's and STi's run horribly. Why?

Blow Off Valve FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - Newbies & FAQs - NASIOC

Read the entire thing. Put the stocker back on and do the intake silencer delete so you can hear the whoosh sound.
#3 Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Phazewun is an unknown
Just did that ive had the intake silencer out for awhile now and you can really hear the woosh sound, but that HKS has that certain bird chirp sound that i love so much, but i quess the sound isnt good when you loose a few seconds a lap =/

thanks !

Now onto HID's !
#4 Old 12-31-2007, 02:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bluerex019 is an unknown
Its funny how it works. Some people do not have any real issues with having any blowoff valve set up, and some people do. I think its how each ecu is set-up from the factory. I believe there are some ecu's that are more forgiving then others.
#5 Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
No, it has nothing to do with the ECU's "forgiveness". No matter what a 100% atmospheric BOV will cause the car to run rich in between shifts. The difference is when people run full recirc and 50/50 BOV's. Some people will not notice such differences in performances with these options.
#6 Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

GoWRXGo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to GoWRXGo Send a message via Yahoo to GoWRXGo
I run a Greddy Type-RS BOV (100% amtospheric) and I have none of the symptoms that are being described on any forum. I have no bucking/throttle lag, no black bumper, no sputter, no boost leak/creep...nothing. Now, granted, I can soften or harden the spring rate so that may have something to do with it. When I first installed it, I would loose boost around 4k RPM, but I softened up my spring rate, and after 3 or 4 runs with different spring rates, it was perfect. I dunno, but mine works perfectly with no problems what so ever. good luck with getting everything worked out. Also, if you have any questions, you can call Patrick at Boxer4Racing.com, not saying that guys on here are not just as smart, just sometimes helps to have a 2nd opinion.

#7 Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerex019 View Post
Its funny how it works. Some people do not have any real issues with having any blowoff valve set up, and some people do. I think its how each ecu is set-up from the factory. I believe there are some ecu's that are more forgiving then others.
Has more to do with the valve type and what adjustments were made to it.Not all BOV's are bolt on and go.Most need some type of intial adjustment.And a person and b person by the same valve but one was adjusted differently from the factory or bought used mis adjusted from the previous owner then those are even more variables that come into play.Stock valve = no adjustment needed.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#8 Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Phazewun is an unknown
thanks for all the responses, if i was to make the HKS valve recirclating would i still recieve that distinct HKS sound or will it just sound like my stock one does right now.
#9 Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroberts is an unknown
I got the Hks ssqv on my car and have had zero problems with it. I even had it on my 06 wrx before that and no problems. The only problems with the hks is the stock spring cant handle heavy boost loads but im guessing thats why they made a race version of it. peace
#10 Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
To answer your question, if you are recirculating, you will lose most of the sound

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#11 Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Phazewun is an unknown
Does anyone have the recirlating kit for that BOV =)

ive looked everywhere i cant find anyone that has them in stock, including home depot
#12 Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bluerex019 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
No, it has nothing to do with the ECU's "forgiveness". No matter what a 100% atmospheric BOV will cause the car to run rich in between shifts. The difference is when people run full recirc and 50/50 BOV's. Some people will not notice such differences in performances with these options.
Ya, I see what you are saying, though my buddies 2003 evo had lots of problems with his blow off valve, basically, because the maf senor are the same pain in the ass as the wrx. Though, his newer model evo mr, he has not had any of those problems, yes it will run richer thats a given, but I dont see any problem with this, except a hurt bumper. Its, the same as adding a downpipe and exhaust system, the cars is going to run richer, unless tuned, but there are many that do not tune there cars or even have an engine management system, but people still do it.
#13 Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
What would be the point of doing such modifications and not getting the vehicle tuned to an optimum performance? Likewise every car is different and will respond to modifications differently.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Evo has a re-circulatory maf system like the WRX/STi
#14 Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Evo has a re-circulatory maf system like the WRX/STi
venting to atmosphere from inside the engine bay is ILLEGAL. ANY turbo car is going to route back to the intake in some fashion or another.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
Thanks Mosc