BOV with ecu - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chow is an unknown
BOV with ecu

I know the bov questions have been beaten to shit but i couldnt find an answer to this question..

People say that the BOV on a wrx is bad because it needs to recirculate the air, and a BOV doesnt allow it (specifically the one i want, hks ssqv) But ive read a few places on the forum that having an ECU upgrade to your car will make everything else ok..

Is this true? How much do the ECU's run for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
If you "tune" for it the car will be ok, but your still going to lose the performance.. Your turbo is not going to say "Spooled" between shifts..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #3 of 13 Old 09-03-2007, 11:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

lovemy07 is an unknown
I have had the TurboXs RFL almost as long as in have had my car, it pops every now and then, so yeah it's not great for the car. It's unspent fuel moving through the car. Although for me? that's part of the fun, except when there is a cop riding next you, it's like HEY YOU!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!

Edit: and price for ECU? you don't really need an ECU persay.all you need is Cobb AP or enginuity+tactrix cable, something that you can get tuned. Cost? ~500ish for the tune, AP is 695 and you can find the tactrix cables for next to nothing.

Joe
post #4 of 13 Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

dremers is an unknown
how can you tune for something that was supposed to be there and the vanished?

i have read over and over that you can not tune for a bov unless its a blow through setup which then the bov goes off before it reaches the maf. makes damn good sense to me.

and this point i still have poping noise with tbe,uppipe,intake and em

Last edited by dremers; 09-04-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: needed to add more
post #5 of 13 Old 09-04-2007, 05:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

mystilexzero is an unknown
by tune they mean make it better, like shoaf said you will still lose performance. I have an rfl on my eclipse and now im trading it for a louder blow off valve recirculated. I want a Greddy rs with the metal pipe, should be louder i think.

BTW I GOT MY NEW 07 WRX LIMITED TODAY WEEEEEEEE
post #6 of 13 Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
I Run the Turbosmart Dual port which is 50/50 recirc/atmospheric ... 2 buddies of mine are mechanics for Subaru Canada's Rally team and both of them run different BOVs. I had discussed all the BOV issues that are talked about on the forums and their response was pretty clear. They say that it doesnt matter what style of BOV you use as long as the ECU has been flashed for that setup.(i.e. If you run a fully recirc BOV then it should not affect anything, however, if you run a full atmospheric BOV then you would need to change fuel mapping so that between shifts it does not run rich/lean). As for the Popping sound ... I've never heard my car make any sort of popping except for the odd backfire (which can be smoothed out with some minor adjustments to the BOV).

As well, like I said they both run Aftermarket BOVs on their cars ... one has '06WRX STI running HKS SSQV with mild tuning, the other runs a '00 2.5 RS with EJ25 Swap and Turbosmart RFL(which by the way definatly lives up to its name!) and a very Aggressive tuning.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBO View Post
I Run the Turbosmart Dual port which is 50/50 recirc/atmospheric ... 2 buddies of mine are mechanics for Subaru Canada's Rally team and both of them run different BOVs. I had discussed all the BOV issues that are talked about on the forums and their response was pretty clear. They say that it doesnt matter what style of BOV you use as long as the ECU has been flashed for that setup.(i.e. If you run a fully recirc BOV then it should not affect anything, however, if you run a full atmospheric BOV then you would need to change fuel mapping so that between shifts it does not run rich/lean). As for the Popping sound ... I've never heard my car make any sort of popping except for the odd backfire (which can be smoothed out with some minor adjustments to the BOV).

As well, like I said they both run Aftermarket BOVs on their cars ... one has '06WRX STI running HKS SSQV with mild tuning, the other runs a '00 2.5 RS with EJ25 Swap and Turbosmart RFL(which by the way definatly lives up to its name!) and a very Aggressive tuning.
I would like to know how your buddies tune for it.There is no way to meter the amount of air that is being vented.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
I know the bov questions have been beaten to shit but i couldnt find an answer to this question..

People say that the BOV on a wrx is bad because it needs to recirculate the air, and a BOV doesnt allow it (specifically the one i want, hks ssqv) But ive read a few places on the forum that having an ECU upgrade to your car will make everything else ok..

Is this true? How much do the ECU's run for?
Found this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ght=tuning+BOV .It mainly has to do with the idle adjustments.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Dumdum -- "I would like to know how your buddies tune for it.There is no way to meter the amount of air that is being vented"

I dunno how they do it ... thats why they tune it and not me ... but I can definatly ask them when I see them. we've got a rally this weekend so I'll probably see them there!
post #10 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

yang259 is an unknown
i got a hks ssqv on my 07 sti for like 8 months and then my turbo broke down. I think that air recirculation thing mess up my turbo. Can anyone tell me if cobb ap is able to fix the problem with air circulation? thanks
post #11 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 02:31 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Cobb doesnt do a thing for the BOV. Each car reacts differently to different or the same mods, so Cobbs maps or just general, and for bolt ons like TBE and such, real power adders.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

06Mafia is an unknown
I am about to buy a Greddy RS BOV from my buddy who used to have an STI? I have an '06 WRX TR with Cobb AP Stage 2 (91octane map) and a Helix TBE. Would a Greddy RS BOV be a bad idea? Can anyone tell me if it is a full recirc, 50/50, or full atmospheric?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 AM
WRXpert

I think it vents 100% to atmoshere but it is supposed to come with a recirculation kit.
http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm
http://www.greddy.com/img/PHP/products/pdf/813.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement