Subaru WRX Forum banner

Borla Exhaust Noise problem

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  turtlesdove3 
#1 ·
Hi, am month ago i purchased a stock 2007 wrx tr. So far on it i have a K&N tyhpoon intake, Perrin FMIC and Borla cat-back exhaust bor14978. It doesn't have a name but keeps a nice rumble sound. The problem i am having is that at certain rpm's i get awful reverb inside the car from the exhaust. There are no leaks or anything and i am wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and how to correct it. I can't have anone sit in the back seat because it is horrible. Thanks for any help you can offer.

#2 ·
It's your standard drone at the resonant frequency of the exhaust. If you don't like it, get another exhaust. Borla makes a "hush", for example, that doesn't have as much of a drone. Although even the factory exhaust has a specific RPM where it resonates, it's just quieter.

#3 ·
Yup, your version is missing the resonator. I had this exhaust for a few hundred miles and couldn't stand it. I ordered it b/c I like the single tip design. It sounded horrible.

I switched to the dual-tip "Hush" Borla and couldn't be happier. I've put about 35k miles on it.

You want Part # 140053.

Cat-Back&#153 Exhaust & Headers - BORLA - The World's Most Winning Exhaust

#4 ·
!Cry! I was afraid of that. I am getting a heavy duty rubber trunk liner for all my mountain bike gear and i am going to see what that does. Just Don't have the money to swap out brand exhaust. Plus i prefer the single tip as it looks more factory stock. Thanks for the info. very helpful !Thumbs Up

#6 ·
Actually it is an 07..... So single tip for me. Would it be possible to wrap exhaust in thermal tape? Just REALLY don't have an extra 600 for new exhaust. i want to get my trunk holes filled in to look smooth! :p I am hoping that the rubber trunk liner will cut down on it..... Not sure. :confused:

#9 ·
i have my 02 wrx and i got a 3 in catback to 4.5 in single tip and its from ebay. ive put like 3k on it and it sounds nice. welds are good. and no leaks. it cost me 250 so if you hate it that much but want a nice angled single tip just do ebay but i wouldnt do ebay for anyother part. just catback because all it is is a pipe. nothing to complicated about it like headers so ebay i think is okay for a catback.plus there is no drone point in the rpms

#10 ·
I have an HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti angled exit big momma grapefruit shooter cat back paired with a Cobb catted dp and I got pulled over the other night and was issued a written warning for having a "modified exhaust and creating excessive sound emission" :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Ehh.. it was just a written warning, so I don't have to do anything. It wasn't a fix-it ticket. It was also late (past 11 pm) on a Friday night and there were two cops just chilling together probably bored and I rumbled by them doing about 20 mph in 3rd gear as quietly as I possibly could and one of them pulled out real quick. I'm sure it was mostly a contact stop to see if I'd been drinking, but I had my work uniform on and I was just coming home from closing my store at 11, so the guy was cool and let me off. I'd consider fighting it if it were a fix-it ticket. I know my catalytic converter in my Cobb dp makes the thing a little quieter and I might pass an official sound inspection ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.