Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Best Bolt - On Turbo

126K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
What is the Forum's opinion on the best Bolt-on Turbo for efficiency, low end torque and reliability? I'm leaning towards the Blouch Dominator 2.5R or maybe the 2.0. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
:pity: There is no best turbo. Only the best turbo for what your looking for. If you don't know what your looking for then there isn't a magical turbo out there for you. /sarcasam

#9 ·
#8 ·
if i were you i would just keep the vf39, get it ported and polished and get a protune. they're pretty reliable turbo's that spool quickly and cheap to come by if you wanted another. what mods do you have? there are many things you can do to make your vf39 more efficient and quicker. here, check this thread out. it will give you good insite on the type of turbo you're looking for. Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC

#13 ·
Ahh,okay.Yeah I was like "oh my,holly leanness Batman!".Yeah the tranny destruction comes from launching and 1st and 2nd gear throttle romping.3rd -5th sees a lot less stress.People break trannys mainly due to them flat out abusing them and driving like they stole it.But I do see your caution in making sure you got a ride to work!Good luck with the exam!

#15 ·
So, I've researched just port and polishing the stock VF39. I was told that the gains are not very substantial but are reliable and quicker spooling. I guess if I want efficiency then it would probably be the best way to go. The costs are similar to purchasing a new slightly bigger turbo though. Any thoughts or reviews on the company called Deadbolt and their bolt on 16G or 20G?

#17 ·
I say go for a Blouch Dominator series. I know a guy with a Dominator 1 and it spools fast and pulls hard. I also know a couple of guys with Dominator 3's and they love them too.
Dominator 3 vs TD06 20g on a local STi:

Teal is the Dom3 and yellow is the 20g

To add some more options you could also look at the ATP stock location 30r's. I think that is what I am going to run.

#22 ·
are you trying to reach XXX hp or just a good solid DD?
is it a matter of money?
you can tune the 39 and make good numbers.on a sti a 18g just isnt worth the money or work.
i would go any smaller than a 20g and if money is an issue you can get a bigger tmic,740cc and a authentic-boost (ebay 20g) for under 1200.it will make good numbers.

stay with the stock turbo,max it out,read and learn.a vf39 can get you low 12s and be relaible

#23 ·
hey i have the FP18 Td06 7cm from force performance on my wrx, its not much of a difference in spooling as compared to the VF39 and pulls harder and hold more boost to redline.Also has more power potential than the polished Vf39 u got.I am still waiting to buy my 750 cc injectors and get my tune to see the full potiential of my 18G will post my results.
Bottom line 18G and bigger will all be better than the stocker VF39.
take your time and select whats right for u and your pocket.

#25 ·
Well I will put my 2 cents in. there is the Blouch TDO5 20g Blouch Turbo Inc. - Our performance turbo upgrades and rebuilds
so you get the really fast spool up of the TDO5 housing And 44 lb/min compressor performance of the Mitsubishi 20G.

Thats really the only turbo I know about but I have heard really good things about the D2 and D3.

Blouch Turbo Inc. - Our performance turbo upgrades and rebuilds
Blouch Turbo Inc. - Our performance turbo upgrades and rebuilds

But if I was you I would stay with Blouch IMO they have have the best turbos. And they have REALLY good customer service. When I bought my EVOIII 16G I was having problems with the site. I called them up and talked to the people and they ported and polished it for free. and that was and extra 200$ for free just becasue the site was having.

And for Shnsmmns it all matters how the driver of the car drives it. There are people on this site that are pushing 300WHP with the stock tranny and clutch. then there are people that blow them up with the stock HP and TQ. If you drop the clutch at 6K the next thing you will drop is 2-4k on a new tranny. but that is all IMO

#26 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.