The Best Bolt - On Turbo - Subaru WRX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
The Best Bolt - On Turbo

What is the Forum's opinion on the best Bolt-on Turbo for efficiency, low end torque and reliability? I'm leaning towards the Blouch Dominator 2.5R or maybe the 2.0. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
There is no best turbo. Only the best turbo for what your looking for. If you don't know what your looking for then there isn't a magical turbo out there for you. /sarcasam
#3 Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
What are your goals for the car?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#4 Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
Goals for the car are ultimate efficiency, low end torque and reliability. Purpose being for daily driver and occasional track use, no drag racing.
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Td06-20g

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i was gonna say td-06-18g slightly less lag, so it has more of that low end torque you want and would be a great daily driver. but the 20g has more balls on the top end but of course a bit more laggy.

What Turbo should I get?? Read this before asking...

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#7 Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
Has anyone ever just upgraded the compressor portion of their stock turbo to an 18G or 20G like the service Blouch offers?
#8 Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
if i were you i would just keep the vf39, get it ported and polished and get a protune. they're pretty reliable turbo's that spool quickly and cheap to come by if you wanted another. what mods do you have? there are many things you can do to make your vf39 more efficient and quicker. here, check this thread out. it will give you good insite on the type of turbo you're looking for. Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC
#9 Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemjs View Post
Goals for the car are ultimate efficiency, low end torque and reliability. Purpose being for daily driver and occasional track use, no drag racing.
A TD05H-18g with a 8cm> turbine inlet would be my choice if your on a budget.If you want to spend alittle more $$$ then ATP GT3071R
GT3071R Turbo Kit for Subaru WRX/STI, stock location: atpturbo.com

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
A TD05H-18g with a 8cm> turbine inlet would be my choice if your on a budget.If you want to spend alittle more $$$ then ATP GT3071R
GT3071R Turbo Kit for Subaru WRX/STI, stock location: atpturbo.com
+1 for the TD05H-18G 8cm. I been running a Blouch 18G 8cm on my hybrid (EJ257 SB w/2.0L Heads, Kelford 264/264 cams, CP Pistions) for about 10K and its been great. Tons of power through the entire powerband and I hold 300whp all the way until 7000RPM and I am only tuned at 16PSI and have yet to PnP anything (other than the 18G).

My dyno chart: http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...AN2927_000.jpg
#11 Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
+1 for the TD05H-18G 8cm. I been running a Blouch 18G 8cm on my hybrid (EJ257 SB w/2.0L Heads, Kelford 264/264 cams, CP Pistions) for about 10K and its been great. Tons of power through the entire powerband and I hold 300whp all the way until 7000RPM and I am only tuned at 16PSI and have yet to PnP anything (other than the 18G).

My dyno chart: http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...AN2927_000.jpg
Nice looking plot!Maybe alittle lean at WOT for my taste.I would jack the boost up to 20psi and drop the AFR to 11:1 at WOT/redline for safety if you have the fuel.Those turbos don't even start to shine untill 20psi.They will run up to 26-28psi in the midrange.

#12 Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Nice looking plot!Maybe alittle lean at WOT for my taste.I would jack the boost up to 20psi and drop the AFR to 11:1 at WOT/redline for safety if you have the fuel.Those turbos don't even start to shine untill 20psi.They will run up to 26-28psi in the midrange.
Don't go by the AFR on the dyno plot...for some reason the readings on the dyno's A/F meter were off (was reading really lean) so we went by the readings on my UEGO wideband which are exactly where they should be at 11:1 at WOT.

As for upping the boost that will come with the next tune in a few months. Right now I am studying for the FL Bar at the end of Feb. I am on leave from the Firm and making no $, so can't afford to grenaid the tranny yet...lol. I was thinking b/t 20-22PSI. Eventually I would like to do a 6-speed swap and Grimmspeed PnP for everything, but all in due time.
#13 Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
WRXpert

Ahh,okay.Yeah I was like "oh my,holly leanness Batman!".Yeah the tranny destruction comes from launching and 1st and 2nd gear throttle romping.3rd -5th sees a lot less stress.People break trannys mainly due to them flat out abusing them and driving like they stole it.But I do see your caution in making sure you got a ride to work!Good luck with the exam!

#14 Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Ahh,okay.Yeah I was like "oh my,holly leanness Batman!".Yeah the tranny destruction comes from launching and 1st and 2nd gear throttle romping.3rd -5th sees a lot less stress.People break trannys mainly due to them flat out abusing them and driving like they stole it.But I do see your caution in making sure you got a ride to work!Good luck with the exam!
Thanks.

Oh and I don't drag or launch it hard like an ***. But, accidents do happen and you gotta pay to play.
#15 Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
So, I've researched just port and polishing the stock VF39. I was told that the gains are not very substantial but are reliable and quicker spooling. I guess if I want efficiency then it would probably be the best way to go. The costs are similar to purchasing a new slightly bigger turbo though. Any thoughts or reviews on the company called Deadbolt and their bolt on 16G or 20G?