all stock except for CBE - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

FluidMistSTi is an unknown
all stock except for CBE

is having a CBE hurting anything as far as performance goes with out a reflash? I'm just curious as to how this all works. I've read people reflashing after every other mod or "stage" but my car is all stock and this would be my first mod.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
yes, it's a good idea to flash after every SIGNIFICANT performance mod. The key word being significant. Your CBE is not a performance mod given the rest of your setup so it effectively changed nothing and there is no need for a reflash. We'd call your car "Stage 1" if you did want to flash it meaning it'd get the same flash as a totally stock car.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 15 Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, you can trust mosc. He definitely knows his stuff. Cat backs are for looks and sound, not significant performance gains - so you don't need to worry about reflashing just yet.

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 15 Old 03-30-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Great! thanks for clearing all that up, I'm still debating on what DP to go with at the mean time too... I'm torn between the Cobb bell mouth and the APS bell mouth. I'm sure I'll flash after that. But my real goal is really to make my car more responsive as far as throttle response for Auto-X reasons. I'm really in no rush to get a different Up- pipe since the OEM 05' STi up pipe is already catless. and i'm most likely going to build around the stock turbo for response reasons. it's keeping some form of TMIC for the shortest path of airflow into the motor.

Other than that, I Just bought a used factory air box to replace the ebay POS CAI that the previous owner put on. I'm not sure if it was DumDum or MOSC that told me the Cobb AP is designed to work with the factory air box. Does the air box have to be completely stock or can I remove/replace the Tumor(silencer) in the fender well and not affect the map?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-30-2008, 11:30 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I can attest to this. I put a CBE on my car, got to hear the boxer rumble, but car didnt feel different at all. But when I flashed a Stage 1 map on the car, thats a little different.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
Not sure about you guys I did a CBE to three inches and I noticed a differnce.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxnfx is an unknown
i noticed a difference also. when i first got my cbe the spool up sound was more audible and it had a bit more pick up. dp+cbe=tbe. once you get there is when you will really notice.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

KawBoyz11 is an unknown
FluidMistSti you can remove the resonator and it wont hurt anything. Itll give you a few extra ponies and increase the spool up sound and you can hear your BPV better when shifting.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoyz11 View Post
FluidMistSti you can remove the resonator and it wont hurt anything. Itll give you a few extra ponies and increase the spool up sound and you can hear your BPV better when shifting.
+1 You can even replace your stock panel air filter with an aftermarket high flow panel filter too if you want. My setup has been working fine for months now w/o any issues:

- removed intake silencer (a.k.a. "snorkus" or "resonator"), replaced with GP Moto elbow
- replaced stock air filter with a K&N panel filter
- TBE (Cobb catted dp, HKS cb)
- Cobb AP Stage 2, 93 Octane map

I'm thoroughly enjoying every mile

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Erlend is an unknown
What you are wanting to do is exactly what I wanted to do with my rex aswell. Here is what I settled on for the 06 WRX

Invidia V3 Divorced wastegate catless DP. Divorced wastegate to try and midigate the increased pressure that comes with the 06's 2.5l engine.
Cobb SS3" Catless CBE. Cobb because of how well they are engineered and because it still looks stock and doesn't sound TOO damn loud.
K&N Panel filter in the stock airbox. Self explanatory, flows better.
STi Intercooler. Your stock IC is going to have a hard time delivering a consistant cold charge to your turbo, changing to the bigger IC of the STi, or EBAY TMIC, allows you to tune your car harder.
Samco STi IC Hose kit. Because the STi hoses dont mate up with the stock WRX turbo.
Protuned by Harman Motive.

The only thing left that I want to do to the engine is remove the snorklus and install a GPMoto elbow. Only thing that is bugging me is that I will have my tune done BEFORE installing the elbow... dont want to install the elbow and throw the A/F ratios off a bit. Kinda annoys me that I didn't do the elbow before, so I am considering not doing it.

Anyway...
You can take the silencer out and not worry about the Cobb map. Only reason I am a tad concerned is because I dont want anything to throw off what the tuners did. I will most likely as them once I get her tuned on wednesday.

Have fun!
~E
post #11 of 15 Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
You wont screw up your tune by removing the silencer. It really doesn't make a difference, more for sound than anything.

Why would he need an Sti intercooler? He has an STi...

If you are running in AutoX I would decide what class you want to run in before modding.

With the full TBE and tune you will be in BSP, which is a tough fast class that you will not have a chance in without some suspension work, but if you are just out there to have fun then that really doesn't matter.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-07-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well, updates go this far... I just (ebay) snipe shot an AP V1 for a good price and hopefully flash to stage one when I get it. Other than that the Perrin Anti lift kit and rear sway bar is on the way too. i just gotta find time to put these things on. The AP should take all but 20 mins, then again it's a V1 how hard can that be? My next question is in order for me to upload maps what kind of port to I need on my computer? Serial or parallel? I'm unsure because I have 4 USB ports and no serial port... I had problems with that when I ran DSMLink on my 1st Gen Talon, I had to get a specific adapter because of some kind of baud rate reason. I hope I don't have to go through that BS again.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The know the V2 uses an USB, not sure about the1 though. Would think that they didnt change that between versions.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
i believe the v1 uses a serial port to connect to the laptop. Defintely outdated technology....if you have a new laptop you probably won't have one and you'll need some kind of median converter.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you can buy serial to USB adapters for <$20 if you really need to and they work fine.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD