Subaru WRX Forum banner

air intake, drop in

9K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  kh15 
#1 ·
well i have seen people reccommend a drop in to use with my standard air box instead of say a hks mega flo cone intake. is this because it could mess up my engine or becasue it doesnt change the power received?

is there a drop in that is suggested to use for an 06 TR? :confused:

i saw a fram at pep boys but is that any better than the stock one?

#2 ·
In general a short ram, or a cold air intake on a WRX will drop the power numbers on the low end and not gain on top end.. That is unless your tuned for it.. However, the stock setup flows actually very well.. Most people suggest the K&N.. I don't know how the Fram would stack up to the K&N...

#13 ·
Check out ebay for the Perrin, I scored mine for $25 and change plus shipping. !Thumbs Up I have the K&N short ram and I'm taking that off in favor of the stock airbox, if that means anything.

Since my car's mostly stock, I don't need that intake yet.

#17 ·
raf1919 said:
doesn't a short ram increase the sound of the turbo??
Yes it does. You will also notice quicker throttle response, at least I did.

WRXScarlett said:
I received the Perrin yesterday and installed it. Just gotta remember how oiled it was for next time when I clean it. Its running nice and I'm getting a lot more of a spooling soung from my engine, VERY NICE!
When I got mine, I took some paper towel and blotted off the extra oil before I installed it. It was pretty oily when I got it.

#19 ·
WRXScarlett said:
Stacy thanks for the input about the Perrin, i think im going to go with that for now.

Does anyone suggest using another intake tubing or just pop this in and keep the stock parts installed?
Ditch the stock resonator/snorkus and stick one of these in.You will get alittle more sound and some faster spool up with the high flow filter in.

They sell them at most Autozones for $15.Reset your ECU after you put one in.

#22 ·
My opinion:

Intake mods on our cars are all for two things:

1) Sound - "Luke, I am your father" *breathe in* *breathe out*
2) Air flow - If you're not getting tuned for it, it's all placebo effect. It makes you think your turbo spools faster, but in reality it does very little (maybe 50 RPMs faster).

Recommendation: Go ahead and buy the aftermarket drop-in filter if you wish (re-usability factor).

Not Recommended: Don't buy anything special for the silencer/snorkus (all just bling bling). Save your money for premium gas.

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own opinions and not in association with wrxtuners.com or any other affiliation

#23 ·
WRXScarlett said:
how do i go about reseting my ECU?

exactly where would this be inserted also?
To reset your ECU pull your Negative Battery Cable, then press the brake peddle for 15 seconds or so to drain all the (lingering voltage) out of the system.. Reconnect your Negative battery terminal and your done.. Well, until you notice your clock and radio presets are all messed up.. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.