air intake, drop in - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigdpnc is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to bigdpnc
Hello, my thoughts after doing much research. The issue with intakes mostly seems to be how much turbulace will the intake make before it reaches the throttle sensor. Since there is no tool to my knwolege that will messure this for us, its a hit and miss thing when picking an intake. I have the K&N typhoon intake which i love. Its good a good sound sharp look and smooth shape which all the reports say this intake does not cause turbulace to the air before the intake. I guess the best way to really monitor this is a a/f ratio meter to see if there is any change in this ratio after getting an intake. I agree that intakes are best to have after you get an engine mgmt system. That is the next step for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdpnc
Hello, my thoughts after doing much research. The issue with intakes mostly seems to be how much turbulace will the intake make before it reaches the throttle sensor. Since there is no tool to my knwolege that will messure this for us, its a hit and miss thing when picking an intake. I have the K&N typhoon intake which i love.
Do you have the short ram or the C.A.I.?The MAF sensor being to close to the bends in the C.A.I. is where the turbulence problem comes in.Short rams with velocity stacks(which most have) really don't have that problem.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #48 of 53 Old 09-22-2006, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
what about the HKS foam drop-in filter? I have one that I used for a month in my 350z right before I traded it for my 05 WRX and it does fit
post #49 of 53 Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti
what about the HKS foam drop-in filter? I have one that I used for a month in my 350z right before I traded it for my 05 WRX and it does fit
Pretty much like the Perrin or ITG.I don't like the foam ones personally because of the type of oil they use.They can be very messy.

post #50 of 53 Old 09-22-2006, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
mine did not came with any oil, just the filter in its sealed package...
...should I be worried?
post #51 of 53 Old 09-22-2006, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Oh, it came oiled my friend. You must've handled it very carefully. My Perrin drop in was saturated with the shit, I had to blot alot of it off so it wouldn't be pretty much dripping with oil.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #52 of 53 Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti
mine did not came with any oil, just the filter in its sealed package...
...should I be worried?
This is from the HKS website-
HKS’ high-performance Super Filters are a direct replacement for OE panel filters when a factory airbox is required or preferred. Super Filters feature the same 2-layer wet-type, polyurethane material as in the Super Mega Flow. The filter element is bonded to a flexible nylon frame and offers a price-friendly performance alternative to a full intake system.

It should be pre oiled from the factory.You will need a "recharge" kit (oil & cleaner) when it comes time to clean it.

post #53 of 53 Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
its time for a new filter...im interested in the sti filter since it doesn't use oil but i already have the k&n....how much different do you think the two are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement