Subaru WRX Forum banner

air intake, drop in

9K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  kh15 
#1 ·
well i have seen people reccommend a drop in to use with my standard air box instead of say a hks mega flo cone intake. is this because it could mess up my engine or becasue it doesnt change the power received?

is there a drop in that is suggested to use for an 06 TR? :confused:

i saw a fram at pep boys but is that any better than the stock one?

#27 · (Edited)
genkidama20 said:
My opinion:

Intake mods on our cars are all for two things:

1) Sound - "Luke, I am your father" *breathe in* *breathe out*
2) Air flow - If you're not getting tuned for it, it's all placebo effect. It makes you think your turbo spools faster, but in reality it does very little (maybe 50 RPMs faster).

Recommendation: Go ahead and buy the aftermarket drop-in filter if you wish (re-usability factor).

Not Recommended: Don't buy anything special for the silencer/snorkus (all just bling bling). Save your money for premium gas.

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own opinions and not in association with wrxtuners.com or any other affiliation
Right because that 180 bend with the bong attached to it flows oh so well.I really doubt if you took that thing off you would see a pressure drop infront of the turbo_Or the fact that everybody knows velocity stacks don't work.Thats why none of the intake manufacturers use them.Not like Subaru would put one in the stock airbox or anything:rolleyes:Oh and removing the cat from the up-pipe,placebo effect.Removing restrictions does nothing,its all in your head.And as far as the tuning,thats the beauty of MAF based systems.They compensate for an increase of volumetric efficency with out the need of tuning (to a point) unlike MAP based systems.

#29 ·
Also sense we are talking about the 2.5L here,the stock airbox is good for roughly 350hp (crank,not wheel) so basicly an STi with a TBE and Cobb stage 2 map is basicly maxing out the stock airbox.The is a reason almost every STi out there is using an intake.And the 2.5L wrx's could easily max out the stock airbox with a slight turbo upgrade.A 2.0L with a big 16g is getting close to maxing out the stock box.

#32 ·
LiL Shoaf said:
To reset your ECU pull your Negative Battery Cable, then press the brake peddle for 15 seconds or so to drain all the (lingering voltage) out of the system.. Reconnect your Negative battery terminal and your done.. Well, until you notice your clock and radio presets are all messed up.. :mad:
On page one of this thread

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
since you guys were on the intake topic, i thought i would tell you guys.
i went to the strip 2 times, first time me vs. 05 wrx with turboback, cold air, ecutek(i think it was, he thinks they say they installed but really didnt, never found out if he got his money back).

anyways, he ran 15.5 all night, finally hitting a 14.9 on his last run. i ran with just turboback, k&n drop in, helix uppipe and ran 14.4 all night.

same story on a 04 rex with cold air intake, spt exhaust, running 15.3+, a 02 rex with 17 psi (or 16 cant remember) with catback best was a 14.4. he had a stock intake just like me......
just thought i would share that with you guys, peace

(o yea, the elevation calculator says 14.4 = 13.89 if we were at sea level.)

ps. sti with fmic ran 14.4 all night. and evo.... lol.... evo with exhaust(15.0, diped into the 14's), this guy needs to get himself a honda and learn how to drive. i was spankin him all night as well. our cars own if u can get them off the line.... without breaking anything !Laugh!

#36 ·
Chris Rx said:
since you guys were on the intake topic, i thought i would tell you guys.
i went to the strip 2 times, first time me vs. 05 wrx with turboback, cold air, ecutek(i think it was, he thinks they say they installed but really didnt, never found out if he got his money back).

anyways, he ran 15.5 all night, finally hitting a 14.9 on his last run. i ran with just turboback, k&n drop in, helix uppipe and ran 14.4 all night.

same story on a 04 rex with cold air intake, spt exhaust, running 15.3+, a 02 rex with 17 psi (or 16 cant remember) with catback best was a 14.4. he had a stock intake just like me......
just thought i would share that with you guys, peace

(o yea, the elevation calculator says 14.4 = 13.89 if we were at sea level.)
Unfortunatly all of this means nothing because the drivers are a big variable here.

#38 ·
Cel

Hey guys, I saw you started discussing the AI. I just placed a Fujita CAI in mine and reset the sensor. I didn't put my foot on the brake but it did reset it. For some reason though, after a couple hours or so, the CEL comes back on again. So, I reset it again. Then it comes back on "again" Kinda frustrating actually. Any ideas? Pershiate it :)

#39 ·
nbr1echo said:
Hey guys, I saw you started discussing the AI. I just placed a Fujita CAI in mine and reset the sensor. I didn't put my foot on the brake but it did reset it. For some reason though, after a couple hours or so, the CEL comes back on again. So, I reset it again. Then it comes back on "again" Kinda frustrating actually. Any ideas? Pershiate it :)
The intake is causing the CEL.Have you tried getting it scanned to find out what code it is?Have you read this?http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5510

#41 ·
sekretskwirl said:
...they're supposedly made of special cotton and need no oil...i've been told many times over oiled filters contaminate the MAF sensor over time.
If you clean the oiled ones properly there is no trouble with them.The Blitz ,one according to their website,is not a washable filter.I remeber you talking about getting a turbo upgrade and tune.I would go ahead and get an intake like the K&N since you have a 2.5 you will be out flowing the stock airbox pretty easilly.If you are still worried about oil switch the K&N filter out on the intake with the AEM dryflow filter.

#42 ·
Alot of the time when people have problems with washable/reuseable filters, it's because they put too much oil back on it. I can't say that it's always like that, but alot of the time it is. My Perrin was soaked with oil when I bought it. I had to wipe alot of it off before installing it. I opened it and was like...

WTF

#43 ·
dumdum said:
If you clean the oiled ones properly there is no trouble with them.The Blitz ,one according to their website,is not a washable filter.I remeber you talking about getting a turbo upgrade and tune.I would go ahead and get an intake like the K&N since you have a 2.5 you will be out flowing the stock airbox pretty easilly.If you are still worried about oil switch the K&N filter out on the intake with the AEM dryflow filter.
Thanks DD for waking me up..as time goes by more and more mods show up in the 'install pile' so be it:K&N or comparable set-up. The oil issue is mute for sure STAC' if you stay away from overoiling.

#46 ·
Hello, my thoughts after doing much research. The issue with intakes mostly seems to be how much turbulace will the intake make before it reaches the throttle sensor. Since there is no tool to my knwolege that will messure this for us, its a hit and miss thing when picking an intake. I have the K&N typhoon intake which i love. Its good a good sound sharp look and smooth shape which all the reports say this intake does not cause turbulace to the air before the intake. I guess the best way to really monitor this is a a/f ratio meter to see if there is any change in this ratio after getting an intake. I agree that intakes are best to have after you get an engine mgmt system. That is the next step for me.

#47 ·
bigdpnc said:
Hello, my thoughts after doing much research. The issue with intakes mostly seems to be how much turbulace will the intake make before it reaches the throttle sensor. Since there is no tool to my knwolege that will messure this for us, its a hit and miss thing when picking an intake. I have the K&N typhoon intake which i love.
Do you have the short ram or the C.A.I.?The MAF sensor being to close to the bends in the C.A.I. is where the turbulence problem comes in.Short rams with velocity stacks(which most have) really don't have that problem.

#51 ·
Oh, it came oiled my friend. You must've handled it very carefully. My Perrin drop in was saturated with the shit, I had to blot alot of it off so it wouldn't be pretty much dripping with oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.